Author Topic: Alex visits to QE2 Dubai, September & October 2022  (Read 4403 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Alex visits to QE2 Dubai, September & October 2022
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2022, 10:44 AM »
If you look at Alex's photo of the golden lion, there's a QR code on the table.

It links to this address : https://www.menumodo.com/app.php/viewer/outlet/9407?lang=en&tags=qr
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2022, 10:46 AM »
Some more of Alex's photos, out on deck this time.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2022, 08:34 PM »
This latest visit to the ship was positive from a number of angles.

Firstly the ship is looking much better than on recent visits, she’s tidier and busier than of late and there is more of a buzz about the place.

A new manager is in place who is keen on emphasising her heritage and history, especially in the context of the Queen and Royal Family.

Very happy to answer any questions you might have…

Thanks to Rob for posting the photos…

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2022, 10:45 PM »
While I can really see the point about how open the view from the boat deck is without the lifeboats and davits there, which has been mentioned a few times, those pictures show not only that - but also just how naked and un-natural the boat deck looks in that state.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2022, 08:44 PM »
While I can really see the point about how open the view from the boat deck is without the lifeboats and davits there, which has been mentioned a few times, those pictures show not only that - but also just how naked and un-natural the boat deck looks in that state.

Yes, the same thing struck me. It no longer looks like a boat deck, more like a terrace. I also remember Rob saying earlier that the lifeboats would have offered some shade out there -- presumably this area is not particularly inviting now in the climate of Dubai.

Otherwise, I agree that there are visible improvements to appreciate.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2022, 11:07 PM »
Some more photos of Alex's wander around the deck

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2022, 01:10 AM »
Yes, the same thing struck me. It no longer looks like a boat deck, more like a terrace. I also remember Rob saying earlier that the lifeboats would have offered some shade out there -- presumably this area is not particularly inviting now in the climate of Dubai.

Otherwise, I agree that there are visible improvements to appreciate.

When filming out on Boat Deck with Peter Warwick back in late January 2020 under the intense midday Sun (even at that time of year it can cause bad sunburn) I missed the shade and Boat Deck was alien to me. I prefer to remember Boat Deck as it was when it was actually Boat Deck and had it's teak decking.

Peter Warwick is back in the UK now. The heritage tours are still going with his former colleague and are still receiving good reviews and are still being actively promoted on the official social media.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2023, 08:18 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2022, 09:43 AM »

It links to this address : https://www.menumodo.com/app.php/viewer/outlet/9407?lang=en&tags=qr

Hi Rob and Alex too, you are both so helpful…it would be very difficult to find a better way of keeping the Legend Alive😃
Well Done and Thank you.
Sad to note that the shop and  library ‘as they were’ are no longer available…the ‘library’ outside gives no inkling of the experience on board…all those sea days in a leather chair tucked up with a good boo….on of QE2’s special treats….and the same goes for the Boat Deck….bring back the tenders, the steamer chairs and some benches as well as the life rings!
Alex do you think now that a sense of ‘maritime’ life and Ship-ness returned?
Very many thanks to you and Rob for your hard work
Rosie

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2022, 07:22 PM »
You are right about the boat deck, it’s a sad loss and shadow of its former self, but realistically it’s so darn hot out there after about five minutes you have to go back in again!!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2022, 03:57 PM »
You are right about the boat deck, it’s a sad loss and shadow of its former self, but realistically it’s so darn hot out there after about five minutes you have to go back in again!!

When I was on board in late April (2011) I walked the boat deck at night and absolutely loved it. I sat in a steamer chair looking over at the sparkling Dubai skyline and wishing someone would hand me a cold beer.  I agree that during the day it was horrific, but at night it was lovely. You can stroll along with a nice view to take in

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2022, 12:31 AM »
Just now catching up with viewing the wonderful photos and reading the posts. QE2 is looking good even missing some of her parts.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Rod

« Reply #26 on: Oct 19, 2022, 12:55 AM »
I sat in a steamer chair looking over at the sparkling Dubai skyline and wishing someone would hand me a cold beer.  I agree that during
Fair's rules for sunbathing, as above, if on a beach with a bar, find a palm tree close to it and sit under it!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #27 on: Oct 19, 2022, 10:25 AM »

I have finally followed this menu and wonder what we would each of us have ordered from it? I have found some favourites, particularly among the desserts :) .

I wonder whether Alex tested the food.

I also think that the drinks menu should include our very own QE2 50 cocktail, which was so delicious in Glasgow during our conference and celebration there (already 5 years ago...).

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Oct 21, 2022, 11:05 AM »
Some more pics from Alex's latest trip
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2022, 03:38 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #29 on: Oct 21, 2022, 01:14 PM »

Beef Chilly anyone? :D

Alex James : Hello Fellow QE2'ers

Started by Alex JamesBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 8
Views: 2333
Last post May 14, 2015, 08:54 PM
by cunardqueen
Alex back on the QE2 Hotel, February 2023

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 26
Views: 2257
Last post Mar 21, 2023, 12:48 AM
by Barumfox
Alex visiting QE2 Hotel Dubai, July 2023

Replies: 32
Views: 3918
Last post Aug 16, 2023, 06:30 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Alex visiting QE2 Hotel - June 2022

Replies: 37
Views: 3070
Last post Sep 16, 2022, 07:09 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Alex - late September 2023 visit to QE2 Dubai - Photos & Videos from on board

Replies: 11
Views: 1210
Last post Oct 24, 2023, 12:51 PM
by Rob Lightbody