Afternoon Tea Delights
4 (9.3%)
Brown or white bread?
2 (4.7%)
5-a-day?
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sep 01, 2022, 02:56 PM

Author Topic: Poll July 2022 : Onboard Food  (Read 1340 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Poll July 2022 : Onboard Food
« on: Jul 30, 2022, 02:56 PM »
The poll for the July 2022  photo competition is now open for you to choose your three favourite pictures from the 20 entered to the  "Onboard Food" album a theme chosen by Isabelle Prondzynski.

This competition is for the new "calendar" year, with winning and runner-up photos going towards the 2023 QE2 Story Calendar.

The prize, donated by Isabelle Prondzynski, is the DVD "Southampton City of Ships".

Voting is easy, but you need to be registered as a Forum member and log into the Forum to vote.  If you have forgotten your password see details to receive a reminder.

Whether or not you have submitted photos, please support those who have participated, by choosing your 3 favourite ones, noting the details, then tick the relevant boxes on the poll.  If you have entered photos, please do not vote for your own pictures.

To make it easier for you, we have posted the pictures below.

However, you might like to turn to the Gallery Album, "Onboard Food" where you can see them all at once, in thumbnail form. Plus you can view larger versions of the pictures by clicking on the photos to see medium size, and clicking once more to see them in large size.

You will not see the results of the vote until the poll has closed on 1 September 2022, after all time zones have had a chance to catch up with the voting deadline.

Enjoy the variety of these photos and choose your favourites.

Forgot password?

If you would like to register as a member - see details of how to register

If we can help - contact us at admin@theqe2story.com
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2022, 10:03 AM by Lynda Bradford »
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Re: Poll July 2022 : Onboard Food
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2022, 04:30 PM »
Afternoon Tea - Yummy!

Penthouse Suite

My 60th Birthday Cake in the Queens Grill Dining Room

That coffee cup

QE2 cake

Here come the sandwiches

Poached eggs on toast with smoked salmon

Sweet and savoury

Laden with cakes

So So Good!

Sun Deck Buffet 2005

Mini Mickey Delights

Tasty Profiteroles

Only frying bananas!

Chocolate Buffet in the Lido

Spaghetti in Britannia Grill

A tarts delight

Embarkation Strawberries and instant coffee

Afternoon tea QE2 style

Afternoon tea delights

Brown or white bread?

5-a-day?

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2022, 09:11 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2022, 09:14 AM »
The poll is now ready for you votes for the July competition "Onboard Food"

Tempting tasty delights - but not so good if you are watching your weight prior to cruising!  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2022, 12:50 PM »
Seeing the picture of the 'Profiteroles' reminds me of a story;
In the Officer's Wardroom there was always a blackboard with a list of the deserts on offer that day. Unfortunately the Wardroom waiters couldn't quite get their heads around the name 'Profiteroles' and it was always written as 'Profit Rolls'!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2022, 11:19 PM »
Voted; it took a while to digest all the choices here...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2022, 09:52 AM »
Judging by the photos entered for the Onboard Food competition it looks like afternoon tea and the midnight buffet were very popular. 

Have you chosen your three favourite photos?  Time to savour the delights and choose!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2022, 09:39 PM »
Judging by the photos entered for the Onboard Food competition it looks like afternoon tea and the midnight buffet were very popular.   

They were ! i rarely missed any of them in my years onboard. Afternoon tea was such a delight,until you saw the staff filling up the tea pots from urns just behind the Queens Room.  Now did they empty out the tea bags each time or simply add more water.  Having worked in hospitality it does kinda spoil things when you see how it really works behind the scenes. the sandwiches could have been made an hour before or at 6am and just cling wrapped , or the night before and covered with a damp towel , mercifully l never saw cling wrap on any sandwich tray. but once unwrapped the edges do go hard quite quickly.  The dinky oven scones were always lovely, and nice that they have the uneven shape, Harrods in London do beautiful ones and each one perfect, but its crazy how many are rejected as not perfect. l personally loved the fruit slices with jelly on top.

I do remember away back in 1986 and scanning the brochures and wondering what on earth was the things they were serving at Afternoon Tea , my delight was seeing them first hand, Chaux Pastry Swans , not as intricate as what they could be , but nice all the same and serving tea from the square Tea pots 

For me l could live of Afternoon tea, and an afternoon tea done well is a masterpiece. Back in 1991 Tea at the Ritz was £17.50 with two servings 3 and 4.30 and booking was a must months in advance.  Progress what it is they now serve from 11.00 to 7pm , its a conveyor belt , it moves in a finely tuned mode but 90 mins and thats you out.  Grosvenor House on Park Lane l have taken two lady friends over the years and we had such a hoot, right by the window , the beautiful crockery, we only had one lemon posset atop the cake stand, surely we were not expected to share, so our lovely waiter bought another, we had refills galore of fresh tea, the sandwiches so dainty and replaced so quickly, and at the end a little box to go, but l think the banter made that possible, and you were certainly not rushed .
After one crossing, in the early 90s l made a pact with a lady friend from onboard to do Afternoon Tea and we ended up at The Savoy, beautiful and lovely as it was, it just didn't have the panache of QE2, not that there was anything wrong
A few years ago, l had  a day out with an ex and ended up at Gleneagles, start to finish it was a fiasco and the Vegetarian sandwiches we were told depended on what the Chef had. Anyway we left, Mark was impressed by it all and shocked l wasn't leaving a  tip . I told him why , the cracked cruet set, the tarnished water glass, the waiter dropping a knife on the floor, the fact we could have been taken to any empty table, yet were seated at a table fresh from being wiped clean , near an open door and a maitre D that gave attitude .I felt  their standards had decidedly dropped since 1989 , 2005 and 2018, but credit where its due their breakfast was up there with some of the great and the good.

On a Med cruise, l think 2006, l was friendly with an Irish Man and we were late getting to The Queens Room and were relegated to Tea in The Lido, ( l still never got over the shock)  as chance had it one of my waiters was serving so we sat where he was serving and one of the onboard lecturers Glynn Christan (a TV cook ) was passing though, we thought it might be daring to ask him over "For Tea and Sponge Finger " and were quite shocked when he said he would be delighted, it was a terribly camp affair and lord knows what the tables next door thought but we had a good old scream of time and Glyn with his most devilish sense of fun has us in hysterics. He came to one of my cabin parties later on in that voyage , he was in Britannia Grill and made great fun at being allowed down to steerage and 9 of us in an inside single , l had to put the chair into the bathroom over the toilet it was so cramped, but when the bubbles were flowing it just added to the fun, It happened it was a new very young officer hosting our table that night, Captain Bates told us later he thought it would be a good introduction for him, it was ! , the wine flowed like it never flowed before, usually it would gently stop but at the Captains Party later on , the officer confided to us he was nervous at hosting his first table and told the wine waiter not to let their glasses get empty, and true to form the wine was never ending then we were offered liqueurs. Unheard of in my experience of a hosted table, but such good fun, Then he took us through to the Golden Lion , where at least despite his protests we could buy him a drink and congratulate him on passing with flying drunken colours from our point of view . We did all make a point of mentioning to Captain Bates the night he hosted , of what a very good host he was , in his own style he laughed and said "Oh l told him, get them drunk and you will be fine, " and added "l just didnt realise how much drink it would take"               

Who couldn't resist a turn around the midnight buffet, quite often on late sitting in the Mauretania it was a drink after dinner and head to the Midnight Buffet . They used to "set up a table" in the Columbia which was nice, but the Lido allowed more space and options, and lm sure any waiter in their right mind doesn't want to be setting up tables for breakfast at 1am in any location.

So yes for me anyway Afternoon Tea and The Friends of The Midnight Buffet l do sorely miss, it does seem so terribly long ago now.       

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2022, 05:10 PM »
Been so busy with work that I finally had a moment to go through the poll and images!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2022, 07:10 PM »
I have just now voted ! In the US, it is 2:09 PM. I don’t know how I will make it through the afternoon after seeing all of these delightful looking foods !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2022, 05:07 PM »
10 voters and one gastronomic delight in the lead !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2022, 12:29 PM »
Voted!

Hungry!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2022, 01:09 PM »
15 voters and one more day to make your voice heard.

You will be VERY hungry after looking at all the marvelous food photos !