Author Topic: Queen Mary lifeboats to be disposed of  (Read 1893 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline skilly56

Re: Queen Mary lifeboats to be disposed of
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 04:38 PM »
I believe some of the boats are ex-Queen Elizabeth, and also some from the Saxonia.
Only about 14-15 are genuine Queen Mary boats.

As lifeboats with Fleming gear are post-1940, then the Fleming boats on QM are definitely not originals (Photo 3).

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 04:49 PM »
I believe some of the boats are ex-Queen Elizabeth, and also some from the Saxonia.
Only about 14-15 are genuine Queen Mary boats.

As lifeboats with Fleming gear are post-1940, then the Fleming boats on QM are definitely not originals (Photo 3).

This is what I've heard too, QE and Saxonia getting new lifeboats and tenders in 1965 (for QE with her major refit) and 1966 (for Saxonia) with the still perfectly serviceable "old" lifeboats being transferred to QM as Cunard saw no reason to give her new lifeboats either (probably given retirement was in the pipeline). In my opinion it's still a great shame these lifeboats will be scrapped as they have interesting history even if it doesn't relate to QM and her seagoing years for the most part. Apparently only a handful (if that) of the lifeboats still with QM are original and two of these are being retained by the ship and won't be disposed of.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 12:34 PM »
One question that begs asking, why did they not have covers made for the lifeboats to protect them as in the photo, I'm sure 24 canvas covers would not have broken the bank!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2022, 05:58 PM »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2022, 09:53 PM »
Depressing it might be, But if as the video says it paves the way for the hotel to reopen, A short term pain for a long term gain. and really when your on the quayside and look up at these monsters, begin to imagine if one broke away and fell to the ground.
Its also a shame that they couldn't even give them away, but today's society and lead paint.

They did it with QE2, and while the ship lovers might shout and scream its not right or fair, Times need to move on and accept such changes.  The bridge wings have been closed for a number of years so you haven't been able to look directly down the ships side.
It would be nice if they could at least reopen the brunch venue, get some revenue going. 800 brunches at $75 is a good income to have for one day of operation. How the hotel rooms are lord knows, it would be nice to think they are being checked and toilets flushed (and they use a lot of water !)
I dread to think of the daily running costs as dear Queen Mary sits there, but I'm eternally hopeful she can and will reopen, and once more we can trip the light fantastic and spend a night onboard one of the finest ships out there.

Personally ld rather spend a night on board Queen Mary now than a week onboard QE2 in her present location.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2023, 01:13 AM »
Did I hear that they’re replacing them with fibreglass replicas?

That’s what they should have done for QE2!
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/