Author Topic: QE2 and Titanic : Terminals in Southampton  (Read 16384 times)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

QE2 and Titanic : Terminals in Southampton
« on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:41 PM »
I just want to know for sure was the old QE2 terminal the former dock Titanic used?

This picture looks just like the QE2 terminal.

<dead links removed>

Is it the dock QE2 used? I just want to know for sure.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 03:35 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Avariel

Re: QE2 and Titanic
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2009, 01:41 AM »
The docks both ships used are in the same area - but QE2's dock is further down.

As in, when you enter the area from dock Gate 4, you'll pass Titanic's dock almost immediately. QE2's dock is at the end.

Will grab a Google Earth screenshot to explain soon-ish.

EDIT: as promised. The Google Earth screenshot.

Also, as the Titanic left the docks, the suction from her propellers was so strong that it pulled a ship, the New York, from its moorings. The location the New York was docked at is the location of QE2's dock.

Where Titanic was docked. The "dead end" of the basin corresponds to the area in the Google Earth Map.

QE2 at her dock. You can just see the "bend" in the docks.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2009, 09:50 PM by Avariel »

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Great snippet of info - thanks for posting

jdl

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:57 AM »
As Avariel says, Titanic used the White Star berth on 44, the same site as the old Ocean Dock and directly opposite the new Ocean terminal on 46 berth.  All of which are accessed via Dock Gate 4 as QEII Terminal.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2009, 03:08 AM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:48 PM »
This is Titanic's quay.

( Photo was taken with permission from the Tug Tender Calshot ).
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:51 PM »
This must be a naïve question...

... but I am assuming she was there only once?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:54 PM »
Yes, but I suspect Olympic used the same terminal.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline backinthehatch

Re: QE2 and Titanic : Terminals in Southampton
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Peter Mugridges picture is the correct berthing position of the QE2 in the 1970's

This is Titanic's quay.

( Photo was taken with permission from the Tug Tender Calshot ).

Just to let you all know that in the 1970's, the QE2 used to dock at the same position as shown for the Titanic, which at that time was her usual berth location. There used to be a passenger terminal and customs shed at the same location. The latest purpose built passenger terminal is to the left of the red circle where the Titanic berth is shown, which also has the car park provided for cruise parking operated by CPS parking for the Ocean Terminal and new QE2 terminal both at Dock gate 4.

A special chartered train from London would sometimes come down and pass over Canute Road next to Western House Building (which housed both Cunard and BBC South t.v.) and go through a dock gate 25yds before Gate 4, it would drop the lucky passengers almost at the beginning of the dockside. The ship always docked bow first, so this would be the first view of the ship ( see youtube link below) for any persons coming through gate 4.
Trains still come dockside to drop off transatlantic passengers for the Queens.

Could be useful to Rob, they sometimes are chartered to start from Glasgow!!

Check these two out, it still happens :

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2013, 08:51 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline backinthehatch

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Just found another video posted originally by member JEM in 2010, which shows the Queen Elizabeth being taken by tugs bow first into the same terminal that both Titanic and QE2 used. You will also see the old TML terminal building that was used for passenger embarkations. In the 60's and 70's passengers used to board on 5 deck midships (the crew boarded 5 deck forward by the customs shed !! and were often stopped and searched) and around 1979/80 the terminal was upgraded to take passengers through 2 deck midships.

Worth a watch from 1964 (but no sound.)

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/liners-in-southampton-harbour

From 1958 with sound:   (\view from 4.47 about Queen Elizabeth and original Ocean Terminal.)

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2013, 06:58 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline andy liney

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Yes, but I suspect Olympic used the same terminal.

She did indeed, and one of the many photographs of her doctored after the sinking to make her look like 'Titanic' was taken there.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Trains still come dockside to drop off transatlantic passengers for the Queens.

Could be useful to Rob, they sometimes are chartered to start from Glasgow!!

Check these two out, it still happens :

I'm afraid not - the revival of the boat train unfortunately ceased a few months ago.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2013, 11:12 PM »
I'm afraid not - the revival of the boat train unfortunately ceased a few months ago.

Aww!  What a shame :(

If I'd had the money, the holidays I saw advertised would have been brilliant for me.  I could get a taxi to Glasgow Central (10 minutes) and then hand over my bags and forget about them, enjoy the trip, relax and have lunch before arriving at the ship ready for my holiday.

I took the plane in 2008 and it was a NIGHTMARE.  My memories are of paying the excessive excess baggage allowance, humphing heavy bags, queuing, expensive taxis... the list goes on.  Driving to QM2 last year was easier, but then we had to contend with expensive Southampton accommodation and parking.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2013, 11:22 PM »
Rob, I'd suggest the Sleeper to Euston overnight then you'd have plenty of time to get to Southampton from Waterloo to catch any of the ships and no hassle.

Offline andy liney

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Driving to QM2 last year was easier, but then we had to contend with expensive Southampton accommodation and parking.

Quite a few hotels do deals whereby you can leave your car for up to two weeks for not much more than the cost of one-night's pre-cruise accommodation (e.g. Holiday Inn, about £110). If you go by train the day before (to be on the 'safe side') the Ibis, which is across the road from the station, is only about £50 a night and is very acceptable (if you get a room on the correct side, you can also see various ships at the Mayflower Terminal).

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Quite a few hotels do deals whereby you can leave your car for up to two weeks for not much more than the cost of one-night's pre-cruise accommodation (e.g. Holiday Inn, about £110). If you go by train the day before (to be on the 'safe side') the Ibis, which is across the road from the station, is only about £50 a night and is very acceptable (if you get a room on the correct side, you can also see various ships at the Mayflower Terminal).

Hi Andy
One of the best things about arriving the day before, apart from avoiding the risk of being snowed in, is not only to call at The Star Tavern the night before, And then up before dawn to watch the ships come in!
Even from the Town Pier, Mary looks mightier than ever sailing up Southampton water - although never could she look as majestic as QE2, and if she's ( QM2)  docking at Mayflower or the further one towards the swinging ground - it only takes her a few minutes, you can have an early brekkie on a bench -  and it's well worth the wait!
We always stay at the Ibis, however security there has been a matter of concern in the past.
It's essential to store anything of value in the office safe.
Cunard also offer parking (it's usually free for the length of the cruise, depending on the 'Offer' at the time of reservation) at the new terminal.
Rosie

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2013, 12:13 PM by Twynkle »

Three Cunarders in Southampton (One EX)

Started by tdicksonBoard Cunard

Replies: 0
Views: 1663
Last post Jan 10, 2013, 05:24 PM
by tdickson
The Great Escape : Hong Kong to Southampton 2004

Started by June IngramBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 12
Views: 1613
Last post Sep 05, 2020, 08:41 AM
by Ben Zabulis
QE2 Final day in Southampton and final departure (11/11/2008)

Started by TwynkleBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 123
Views: 66158
Last post Nov 11, 2023, 05:42 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Queen Anne’s Maiden Arrival Southampton 30 April 2024

Started by Cunarder ManBoard QE2's Successors

Replies: 3
Views: 336
Last post May 05, 2024, 06:00 AM
by Joann Scott
The Cunard Fleet Together May 2014 - Lisbon and Southampton

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Cunard