Author Topic: Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne  (Read 12457 times)

Offline Rod

Re: Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2022, 05:15 PM »
Queen annes lace perhaps?

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:49 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2022, 05:49 PM »
The actual Queen Anne was Queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland from 1702-1707. Going back a bit far for a name, heh ?
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:50 AM by Lynda Bradford »
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2022, 11:20 PM »
The actual Queen Anne was Queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland from 1702-1707. Going back a bit far for a name, heh ?
Not as far back as Queen Elizabeth,  she died in 1603!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2022, 03:26 AM »
True, Andy !

There are several problems with this name. It shows that whoever came up with this name has very little knowledge or just doesn’t care. Just my thoughts.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2022, 11:19 AM »
The Cruise Harbour News, reports that the Cunard team explored many option for the name and research on Queen Anne was done by Kate Williams, British Historian, Author and Presenter. 

https://www.cruiseharbournews.com/queenanne.html?fbclid=IwAR3a8Mq5dNVZromjmH-2JObQk9NOzjSQZUVkpuiR9fx05-uqL9nAYV02W5E
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:52 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2022, 05:18 PM »
Hi Lynda - Thanks for your reply and info. I too have read about the thought going into the choosing of the name.

To me and to a few other ship people on this side of the pond, the name Queen Anne seems like a slap in the face to The Princess Royal, Princess Anne. If not done intentionally, it at least smacks of insensitivity.

The Princess Royal will never be Queen, even though she is qualified.

It seems Cunard need to make it known why the name was chosen. I really do think it is hurtful to The Princess.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2022, 06:02 PM »
Hi Lynda - Thanks for your reply and info. I too have read about the thought going into the choosing of the name.

To me and to a few other ship people on this side of the pond, the name Queen Anne seems like a slap in the face to The Princess Royal, Princess Anne. If not done intentionally, it at least smacks of insensitivity.

The Princess Royal will never be Queen, even though she is qualified.

It seems Cunard need to make it known why the name was chosen. I really do think it is hurtful to The Princess.
Agreed!!!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Rod

« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2022, 06:07 PM »
Named after the lace perhaps?

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #38 on: Feb 10, 2022, 09:57 PM »
  There is no such person, there is however a Princess Royal who might be available! 

She is often referred to as Princess Anne , and indeed sometimes The Princess Royal. When she visited where i work, she was always Princess Anne.   

Imagine naming a ship, when a name needs to be clarified as to why and who ? has Cunard let it be known why they picked this name ?
If they do ask Princess Anne (aka Princess Royal) to name the carbuncle    ship , it will cause even more confusion
Well done Cunard .
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:53 AM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2022, 01:07 AM »
Wondering why Carnival with their tradition of naming ships Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Ecstacy etc could not follow the same pattern with Cunard and take us back to the 70's! As in Cunard Countess, Cunard Princess.....Cunard Duchess etc! Lets face it Cunard tries to be "Cunard" but is still infected with...."CARNIVAL"! :D :D

Offline Trevor Harris

Re:Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne
« Reply #40 on: Feb 11, 2022, 04:00 AM »
Wondering why Carnival with their tradition of naming ships Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Ecstacy etc could not follow the same pattern with Cunard and take us back to the 70's! As in Cunard Countess, Cunard Princess.....Cunard Duchess etc! Lets face it Cunard tries to be "Cunard" but is still infected with...."CARNIVAL"! :D :D
I was thinking the same thing!!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #41 on: Mar 02, 2022, 03:18 PM »
An announcement will be made next Wednesday 9 March to name the Captain of the new Cunard ship.  There will also be more details about the ship as well.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:54 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2022, 09:59 PM »
Do we have any idea at what stage of building  the ship is at. ?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #43 on: Mar 08, 2022, 09:31 AM »
Cunard Australia have announced on International Women's Day 8 March that Captain Inge Klein Thorhauge will be the Captain of Queen Anne.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/woman-captain-inge-klein-thorhauge-to-helm-cunards-new-queen-anne/

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 10:10 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2022, 08:07 AM »
Cunard Australia have announced on International Women's Day 8 March that Captain Inge Klein Thorhauge will be Captain of Queen Anne.

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/woman-captain-inge-klein-thorhauge-to-helm-cunards-new-queen-anne/
And they couldn't have made a better choice, but there again I' m biased as Inger and i served together many times on Vistafjord/ Caronia.
She was affectionately nicknamed 'Bridge Spice', but at the same time was certainly not a lady to be crossed, as several people found to their cost!
Ask anybody who told her she was Danish, they'll be recognisable by their bleeding ears, she was a fiercely proud Faroe Islander.