Author Topic: Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne  (Read 12460 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2022, 06:04 PM »
How about Wallonia? As far as I know, that has never yet been used.  :)

Maybe, in the spirit of Brexit, they could be those who would like it to be named Britannia, and indeed why not?
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:45 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2022, 10:15 PM »
There is currently a P & O ship named Britannia.

Are bets being made on the name of the new floating flat ?
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:45 AM by Lynda Bradford »
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2022, 11:48 AM »
Maybe, in the spirit of Brexit, they could be those who would like it to be named Britannia, and indeed why not?

They may well have considered it, had their sister brand not beaten them to it, with this hardly subtle ship...

Note: link not active

Britannia - and emblazoned with the Union Jack - but what exactly is British about her?

On our last cruise, Britannia was docked next to our ship and we saw her first, and I thought she looked horrific, and was so glad to drive past her and then turn the corner ands see the glorious QM2 bow-on.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2023, 09:40 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2022, 12:02 PM »
And prey what is a Cunard email ?

They never email us either, despite our last trip just being a few years ago.  I've tried to add myself onto their mailing lists to no avail.  It says I'm added, but no emails have ever arrived, nor any snail mail.  Maybe the negative feedback I submitted after our last trip cancelled it out!
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:46 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2022, 02:27 PM »
In view of some royal news I saw today it may be "Queen Camilla"..... :D

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01:13 PM »
Queen Anne is the name - a less than impressive name but the video images of the interiors look quite nice.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re:Cunard's new ship: Queen Anne
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2022, 01:43 PM »
In modern parlance, I think the name is 'meh'.

Interiors look more interesting than QV and QE though.

The bow-on view is appalling, with the wee bow then all the decks piled high above the bridge.

I wish them luck with it.  Apparently bookings for summer 23 are stronger than any time since QE entered service.  I'll be interested to see what the prices do.

QM2 becomes the old special one, and remains the only one that interests me.  I hope they've got things planned for her 20th anniversary.

No idea if I'll find myself on board any time soon, although I do have a special birthday later this year...
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:47 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2022, 02:22 PM »
This is a joke, right?

Anyways.. let me keep my big mouth closed.

Interiors, from what was shown, don't really appear to be in that titanic revival style I abhor.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2022, 04:31 PM »
I expected a special presentation, at least a senior to announce the name and put her in context against the history of the company. It was very disappointing. However, for the modern age she looks ok. I look forward to being on the Solent as she arrives (as I have for the other three) and to the day when we may see the four Queens meet up together. Quite sure Michael would have been planning this if he was still with the company!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2022, 04:58 PM »
oh well Queen Anne (or is it pronounced Annie ) l think it's a pathetic name . now do we have any indication as to the thought process behind this name . It just dilutes the Brand queen even less. But hey ho It is what it is.  did they throw some names in a hat and pick one out

This is a joke, right?

Anyways.. let me keep my big mouth closed.

I thought it was a joke, l don't get the name , No keep your mouth open we are after all a discussion forum
Some of us are not of the following that stick Cunard on the side and all is good and great.
An ideal chance to break links from the queen and Cunard blew it . So who does this new block of flats with a carbuncle on top  cater for , the new and upcoming cruiser ? the Cunard fan through and through ?.
But who in Gods name will name the ship ...Surely they will get Princess Anne .

Quite sure Michael would have been planning this if he was still with the company! 

Maybe he got wind of the name, threw his hands in the air and said get me out of here  ;) 

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2022, 05:37 PM »

There is no such person, there is however a Princess Royal who might be available!
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:48 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2022, 06:39 PM »
Logged into YouTube first thing this morning and saw the official announcement video.

Yeah, not surprised Queen Anne is the name. I always assumed that was going to be the name.

Even though the interiors shown looked nice and decent, I do wonder what they will look like when they are fully complete.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2022, 08:50 PM »
oh well Queen Anne (or is it pronounced Annie ) l think it's a pathetic name . now do we have any indication as to the thought process behind this name . It just dilutes the Brand queen even less. But hey ho It is what it is.  did they throw some names in a hat and pick one out

I thought it was a joke, l don't get the name , No keep your mouth open we are after all a discussion forum
Some of us are not of the following that stick Cunard on the side and all is good and great.
An ideal chance to break links from the queen and Cunard blew it . So who does this new block of flats with a carbuncle on top  cater for , the new and upcoming cruiser ? the Cunard fan through and through ?.

I don't get the name either. So very random.

This whole thing feels reductive. The vista design was already atrocious as it is. The chance to break free from the Queen prefix and start something different.. They could've done something with a Princess or Duchess prefix. I don't know why they announced the name early either. I wish they waited until launch day, or whatever the occasion is now since these ships are all prefabricated, to announce the name.

When the time comes for a new cunard liner, I do hope that it will be unique and exciting, something to truly look forward to. This whole copy and paste thing absolutely bores me.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline skilly56

« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2022, 12:38 AM »
Couldn't think of anything better, so they named it after a chocolate box!
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:49 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2022, 08:24 AM »
A saying in the antique trade;
Queen. Anne's legs, thick and bandy!
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2022, 09:49 AM by Lynda Bradford »