Author Topic: QE2 Get Togethers on board other Cunarders  (Read 13154 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 Get Togethers on board other Cunarders
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Well done Trevor! That's awesome!

That's the same spot we had for our get together in Liverpool I think?

You could ask if they could invite any former QE2 officers who may be aboard along?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:53 PM »
QE2 Get together is all arranged as follows:
After a little chat with the sports director  a friend of my wife's about the idea, she told us she would arrange a meeting with the entertainment director, within 10 minutes, he was with me, he gave me one date 2nd December (a Sea Day) two alternative times 11-12 or 3-4 he suggested the first for max attendance as it was before lunch and the second would be interrupted by afternoon tea. I agreed so he then gave me a choice of venues, either the Atlantic room or the Starboard side of the Commodore Club, I chose the later, I intend to speak to the book shop this afternoon after we sail, to request some prints of QE2 to display within the area .
Fingers crossed I'm not there on my own
PS it's being mentioned in the daily programme & hopefully also in the morning TV broadcast

Hey Trevor - Well Done, to you and Mrs Trevor - You are both a Star!!!
If the Cruise Director's on your case, they may well provide soft drinks and some biscuits etc
We had (late) breakfast once!

It sounds Brilliant - and if you can get some of Rob's 'labels' printed off, that'll be helpful to you too!
Just in case you need the link again, it's here
https://www.theqe2story.com/features/TQSPublicity.html

Good Luck - Please Don't worry if only a few come - they will all Love talking about QE2!
I usually have a few questions up my sleeve, in case it goes a bit static
Things like What's your Best memory? What was the Funniest thing that happened?
Best place you found on Board? - Did you miss her?
All the very best
Rosie

PS - You mention the Atlantic Room - That sounds a new name?
(Maybe they have copied it from QM2!

PPS We did a longish cruise on  QV earlier this year, had a QE2 meet up in Hemispheres
One of the Cunard Singers (and Dancers) helped, she'd worked on board QE2 for a long time
She came from Ireland - think her name was Maria - she'd be a great help if she's on board!)
There may be others too - Like John Davies - 'Johnny D'?
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014, 10:18 PM by Twynkle »

Offline tdickson

« Reply #32 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:00 PM »
Just received our Daily programme for tomorrow and it's all systems go 11am Commodore club.
Since my last post I've spoken to David Stephenson (Hotel General Manager) in his office, whom in turn arranged with Head of housekeeping to pick up Qe2 paintings etc from the bookshop to have displayed in the Commodore Club before the get together

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Just received our Daily programme for tomorrow and it's all systems go 11am Commodore club.
Since my last post I've spoken to David Stephenson (Hotel General Manager) in his office, whom in turn arranged with Head of housekeeping to pick up Qe2 paintings etc from the bookshop to have displayed in the Commodore Club before the get together

Fantastic!  Will you tell everybody we say Hello!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:03 PM »

Good luck to you, Trevor!
You have done brilliantly.
If you get a chance, please do take a photograph for us....near the lovely big model of QE2, perhaps!
( and pls can u send my very best to Mr Stevenson!)

Offline tdickson

« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:35 PM »
QE11 Re-union. Has to be said I was a little worried I would be sat in the Commodore Club on my own with a painting of QE, no such worries everyone that turned up was FAB,  1 gentleman with his QE 2 tie, an older lady with a QE pink t shirt, another brought a poem which she read out (lovely) another lady had us all sign a travel log etc... I asked the question around the room (how many times have you enjoyed QE) The answers came back: Just the once, several times with my parents, I was the youngest on board I am now 50 , five times, eleven times, and then to everyone's amazement 38 times. Wow So it was a great success even if I say so myself. We started at 11 and stopped for the Noon announcement and then carried on for another 20 minutes or so. So instead of our allocated hour, we had 1hr 20 min A couple of group photos were taken and everyone requested a copy of the poem.
I am contemplating organising another for the Queen Elizabeth 6th Jan 2015
Ps 2 gentlemen brought news paper cuttings  from yesterday's papers about qe11 unfortunately I never got chance to read them

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Hey Trevor - You Are A STAR!

Well Done - and Congratulations!
QE2 would be So Pleased and Proud, and I guess you gave many folk on board an extremely happy morning!
I have a copy of the Sunday Times article, and if you would like me to get it to you, send me a private message with your home address.
As a matter of interest, did any of the crew and officers pay you a visit?

Enjoy the rest of your trip - expect you'll be stopped around the ship now - smiling!
Rosie

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Wonderful, Trevor! Very well organised and obviously a most pleasant way to while away an hour or so on board. It is great to see that there is so much love and affection for QE2 still to be found on board the Cunard ships.

Looking forward to some pictures!

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:50 PM »
My Mom and stepfather both enthusiastic ex QE2ers (both nearly 90), will be on the QM2 sailing to Dubai in early January. Anything going on for that voyage?

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #39 on: Mar 11, 2018, 01:19 AM »
... if you're on board, and there ISN'T a 'QE2 Get Together', organise one!! ;D
We have just returned from QM2 Voyage M809A. Shortly after sailing, my wife (also an Ex-Cunarder) happened to be talking to a fellow traveler who said they were aware of an ex-QE2 Engineer who was also on board as a pax.

This led me to recall this discussion thread. So, I went down to the Bureau, spoke to one of the crew and explained I thought it would be a good idea if the ship advertised a QE2 get-together for past QE2 Officers, Crew and pax. After I explained what 'QE2' meant, she composed an email to the Entertainment Director, with my input.

The next day I received a voice mail advising they had agreed to an informal get together for people who had worked on the Queen Elizabeth 2, and it would take place on a sea day - keep my eye on the Daily Programme.

Anyway, the next sea day nothing was in the programme and there was only one sea day remaining. I went down to the Bureau again, explained the situation and clarified it shouldn't be confined to ex Officers and Crew, but should also include ex-pax of QE2. He promised to send an Email to the Entertainment Director as well as the Communications Director (who organises the Daily Programme).

As quick as a flash, nothing happened, and the voyage finished the day after without any mention.

Anyway, I tried. But I don't think there is much interest in the old 'Steam Queens' in today's Carnivore.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 02:09 AM by Boris »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #40 on: Mar 11, 2018, 05:19 AM »
After I explained what 'QE2' meant, she composed an email to the Entertainment Director, with my input.

That is such a shame!

I am sure that there would have been other ex-crew members on board, as well as a number of passengers who would have known very well what "QE2" meant and would have loved the get-together... :(

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #41 on: Mar 11, 2018, 11:03 AM »
What a contrast to their complete QE2-themed cruise on Queen Elizabeth less than 6 months ago!

Rosie (Twynkle on here)  is a frequent QM2-er, and I believe has organised a number of QE2 get togethers on board.  I'm not sure if she's done any recently though?  She might know the trick!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #42 on: Mar 11, 2018, 05:03 PM »
   After I explained what 'QE2' meant,

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #43 on: Mar 18, 2018, 11:56 AM »
What a contrast to their complete QE2-themed cruise on Queen Elizabeth less than 6 months ago!

Rosie (Twynkle on here)  is a frequent QM2-er, and I believe has organised a number of QE2 get togethers on board.  I'm not sure if she's done any recently though?  She might know the trick!

Hi Rob and Boris,
So sorry to read of Boris' experience
Just back after too long away ;)
Will post more soon... (after jet-lag wears off etc)
R.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #44 on: Apr 12, 2018, 08:47 PM »
   She might know the trick!   

Dear Twinkle, l fear she could organise a gathering at the top of Mount Everest   ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

50th anniversary related get togethers

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 1222
Last post Jul 26, 2017, 12:57 AM
by Chris
Safety features on board QE2

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Officers & Crew Areas

Replies: 57
Views: 21614
Last post Jun 14, 2015, 04:10 PM
by Twynkle
CCTV cameras on board....

Started by TwynkleBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 19
Views: 7813
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 08:57 PM
by jdl
A week in the Life....On board with Hamza Mustafa, Chief Exec...

Started by TwynkleBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 2
Views: 887
Last post Oct 04, 2018, 08:52 AM
by Alex Tarry
Events on board QE2 Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 89
Views: 14115
Last post Jun 15, 2024, 12:15 PM
by Rob Lightbody