Author Topic: Photo Competition Results (for 2023 Calendar)  (Read 3421 times)

Offline cunardqueen

Re: Photo Competition Results (for 2023 Calendar)
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2022, 09:58 PM »
Cunardqueen's photo Stormy Seas 

Taken not as what might have been expected on The Noth Atlantic, but rather in the Med. Sailing between Pireas and Alexandria we had a choppy crossing., Certainly in the top three of my rough trips . lt was always in the back of my mind the SS Poseidon was in this area when she had her trouble.  . and l think the year was 2006 under the command of Captain Bates. While we looked to be rolling quite bad i don't recall it feeling as bad as what the photo might show none the less it was still lively.

We did have some more bad weather heading up from Lisbon as we passed QM2 as she headed south, and the stormy weather in Southampton ment a delayed arrival, l recall waking up in the very early morning and being in cabin 3006 the curtain was at a funny angle to the wall, the deadlight had been secured and the items from the surfaces had been placed on the floor. It had been a late night and l couldn't figure out why the curtains were at such an angle, then it dawned on me, added to the fact during the night and the location of 3006 you could hear the waves against the hull. But later  over the tannoy, it was explained about the high winds and the approach to Southampton water.
 There was talk that we wouldn't be docking till late Afternoon/ early evening, but The Captain made a dash for it between a break in the weather and we docked early afternoon. Friends were on the following cruise and as it happened turn up at the docks early and were shocked to see no QE2 . I seem to think we gained with an extra lunch onboard and really didn't care what time we docked, But looking back a delayed arrival must have been a headache for all concerned. 
But thats the story behind my photo.           
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2022, 09:53 PM »
Was this not October 2004? We were on QE2's next cruise as I've recounted on here before in detail, and I've since found out (thanks to Sam and Ron Warwick's excellent QE2 Abstract Log website) that Captain McNaught took over from Captain Bates in the midst of what my Dad remembers to have been a major crew change that was complicated to put it mildly by the late arrival into Southampton. I recently rediscovered our daily programmes confirming who was captain too.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2022, 12:29 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2022, 10:34 PM »
Was this not October 2004?   
It might very well be that year. l did a couple of Med trips as part of a back to back party cruise both under Captain Bates, one at his table and one at John Duffys table both trips we called at Alexandria on both cruises . So yes it would be easy to have my years confused. But it was 18 years ago, which l find quite surprising.     

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2022, 12:31 AM »
But it was 18 years ago, which l find quite surprising.   

Likewise, I find it surprising - the years sure are ticking by faster and faster. However it also feels like a lifetime ago too. Surreal.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Jun 03, 2022, 09:50 AM »
So many excellent photos this month, which made it difficult to choose.  The result is we have four winners:

Thomas Hypher's: Sleek and Space Age Superstructure

Twynkle's:  An elegant dinner awaits you

Adrian Murrell-Barker's: Sunset on an elegant Queen

Rupert Ballantyne's: The elegance of the Queens Room

Congratulations to our winners and thank-you to everyone who participated by entering photos or voting. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2022, 06:21 PM »
In addition to the fabulous winning photos we had two excellent runner up photos. Congratulations to our winners and runners up. 

Hamburgers picture "early in the morning"

and Rupert Ballantyne's picture "Elegant Midship Bar Promenade"
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #21 on: Jun 07, 2022, 02:05 AM »
Congratulations to our winners and runner up winners !

And many thanks to all who submitted photos and to all who voted !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #22 on: Jul 01, 2022, 06:21 PM »
Congratulations to the joint winners of the May competition "QE2 artefacts (artwork, models, memorabilia and displays)"

Rob Lightbody's photo:
Mauretania model on board QE2

and ...

Ed 1000's photo:
Queen Elizabeth II

There were three runner up pictures

Isabelle Prondzynski's photo:
Princess Grills Lights:

Hamburger's photo:
Dionysos
...the god of wine, joy, grapes, fertility, madness and ecstasy

John Brocklehurst photo:
The ship and the bell

Thanks to everyone who participated in the competition giving us the opportunity to remember QE2's artefacts. 

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #23 on: Jul 01, 2022, 09:50 PM »
Congratulations to the winners of these excellent photos! It is lovely to see these scenes again, all the more so, since the photos are so well composed.

It is an unexpected pleasure to see my own picture among the runners up! I am very grateful.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2022, 10:24 PM »
Congratulations to our winners and runner up winners !

And many thanks for all the wonderful photos that were submitted !

A book could be written containing the stories behind the photos in the photo competitions.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Jul 04, 2022, 02:10 PM »
A book could be written containing the stories behind the photos in the photo competitions. 
It might be a good  start if people just wrote a few lines about the photo..where it was taken and when or even what cruise . I know any photo of QE2 speaks a thousand words...but 

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #26 on: Jul 04, 2022, 06:21 PM »
True, Myles, that a few words about each photo would be a start.

Also true that a photo of our QE2 brings with it a wealth of feelings, remembrances, and emotions that could hardly be described in words.

« Reply #27 on: Jul 04, 2022, 09:22 PM »
It might be a good  start if people just wrote a few lines about the photo..where it was taken and when or even what cruise . I know any photo of QE2 speaks a thousand words...but

Mine was taken on 22 September 2008, during the final "Autumn Colours" voyage, when I regularly scoured QE2 with my camera and took pictures of anything that caught my fancy.

I "invaded" Princess Grill one afternoon between meals and enjoyed memories of our very first cruise, when we were in Princess Grill.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #28 on: Aug 02, 2022, 08:27 PM »
Congratulations to the joint winners of the June Photo competition - "Around the/my cabin."

Isabelle Prondzynski's photo:  "Porthole and Deadlight"

and

Cunarder Man's picture:  "Visit to Captain's Cabin on Last Voyage"

There was one runner up:

Pia's photo ": It's a long way from here to there"

You can see all the photos in the photo competition gallery.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2022, 11:09 AM by Lynda Bradford »

« Reply #29 on: Aug 03, 2022, 10:21 AM »
That was a genuine surprise! Thank you so much :) .

That was the only time I had a 5 Deck cabin, and I hugely enjoyed being so close to the sea, and to the port operations. We had a bit of a storm during the second night, and the deadlight was firmly fastened by the cabin steward, so that I could not see the sea whooshing past.