Author Topic: Special Competition with Photo Book Prize Celebrating 10 years of competitions!  (Read 2545 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Celebrating Ten Years of The QE2 Story Photo Competitions

As this year marks the ten-year anniversary of the Photo Competition, to celebrate we have produced a fabulous photo book with over 140 winning photos.

It was produced using the Vistaprint photo book tool.  The book is in landscape format 20 cm by 15 cm, which is big enough to showcase the photos but equally a fine size to sit on a bookshelf or on your coffee/side table. It certainly will be talking point especially with this rather unusual cover photo by Louis Phillippe Capelle (Sept 2016)

The photo book is a lovely piece of QE2 memorabilia that showcases our competition winning photos.  Unfortunately we cannot offer this for general sale to our forum members. International mail costs have doubled, probably as a result of Covid reducing air transport. Vistaprint also has further reduced the number of countries it will mail to, which now excludes all countries outside Europe (when the book is produced and printed in a European country such as the UK).

But it will be available to members, as a special Photo Competition prize.  We have already sent a copy of the book to the people who had the highest number of wins plus those who supported the competition by entering photos the most times.

Now it is your turn to have the opportunity to win this special prize, which will be awarded to the winners of the September competition.  Look out for this prize in future photo competitions.

The theme for the September photo competition will be  "My most treasured QE2 photos".

These could be on any subject -- it is the emotional attachment to the QE2 related photo that is the criterion.

We are hoping for a high number of entries, so now is the time to look for your three photos that meet the criteria, ready to upload them to the competition album when this opens on 1 September. 

Note:  Those who have already received the photo book will not be eligible to win it again, but will be offered an alternative prize.

We would like to thank everyone who supports the Photo Competition, without their input producing the Photo Book would not be possible.

I have tagged the winning photos so that you can enjoy viewing them in the Gallery by following this link
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2021, 10:17 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Pete Hamill

That is quite a book! Just a pity it isn't available to buy individual copies.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

It is a really special book celebrating the photo competitions!

I look forward to the two competitions where it will be offered as a prize -- and in September in particular, we hope for very many entries, particularly from those who have not participated so often.

Lynda put in fabulous work, over many months -- this book is a real achievement thanks to her :) .

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
A wonderful book! Thank you Lynda for putting together a great tribute to QE2 and the forum's photo competitions!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
It is a wonderful book ! Many thanks to Lynda for her time, talent, and expertise in putting together this tribute to our QE2 and a celebration of the tenth anniversary of the photo competitions !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

Thanks for your kind comments. 

Thanks Pete - I tried many options to have the book available to order direct, however was frustrated as every avenue I pursued either the tools was not suitable, or the price was too high and the final straw was the high cost of international postage.  But never say never, there may be an option in the future.  In the meantime everyone has the opportunity to enter photos to the September competition to have the opportunity to win this special prize. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Pete Hamill

Thanks Lynda.
I was following your frustration in the other thread. I just find it amazing that in this 21st Century "everything online" age, that vendors seem incapable of delivering simple services.
They've done the hard bit in enabling a photobook to be created (although even that appeared harder than it needed to be), so surely must be an easy enough process to enable it to be put into an area of their site where people could actually choose to order it.

Ah well, it is what it is. I'll just need to look for an extra special photo for the competition!!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
And Pete, to continue with your post. Many vendors have actually greatly curtailed what is available, a case in point is the difficulty we encountered with the jigsaws. And there do seem to be in many cases, restrictions on where items may be shipped.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Anubhav Mitra

I completely agree with you :)

Offline Rod

Thanks for all the hard work Lynda!

Online Lynda Bradford

I hope everyone is looking for 3 best photos to enter the competition next week  :)

Online Lynda Bradford

Isabelle will be posting details with a link to the competition album next week for the September Photo Competition.

You will have the chance to win a Photo Book with the 10 years of winning photos. 

The theme chosen for this special competition is "My most treasured QE2 photos" which could be any photos of QE2 that have special memories of the ship.  Isabelle will give more details when she makes the call for entries, but meanwhile, take time to find three photos ready to enter when the album is open. 

Your contribution adds to the continued success of the competition.  Plus September is a month when we all remember and celebrate the launch of QE2 in September 1967.

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2021, 10:48 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I've been lucky enough to get a preview copy of the book, and its really very special indeed, and the quality of the photos (thanks to all of you) is outstanding.

GOOD LUCK
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

It was amazing that so many forum members responded to the September competition by uploading 77 (a record number) Photo Competition pictures.  please go to the poll and vote if you have not already voted.

At the moment the photo book with ten years of winning photos is only available as a prize.  However, as I thought you would like a sneak preview, I have added screenshots of the book to a Gallery Album so that you can view and enjoy the winning photos 2011 to 2021. 

Offline John D Hobley FinstR

Today I’ve been so delighted to advise Lynda that I have received my prize of this amazing book that Lynda must have spent so much time to it making it the very special book that it is. I’ve already had a look through as soon as it was delivered and I expect it will get many more readings. It will also remain on our coffee table so that any family member, neighbours or friend that visits will also get a guided reading from me and won’t be allowed to leave until I’ve finished.!
Like the many that entered this month’s competition the best fun ( and somewhat frustration I may add ) was just trying to pick 3 of our favourites. Especially as all of them no doubt just like my own had a very special memory for us all. My winning picture ( I’m on the left looking at it by the way) was always in my choice of 3 as it captures so many memories for me. Although sadly it’s so long ago now, they are strong enough memories to last over 50yrs as I can still remember being on that launch and even the familiar smell you get of the busy quayside and Caribbean harbour water strangely with that mix of diesel fumes as we helped passenger on and off. Of course my day job was as an engine room boy training in marine engineering but thanks to my Chief Engineer I was allowed to help out on the launches with the Deck crew when in port which also doubled up as training for me of lifeboat launching. In addition as I have said before on this site, the extra overtime was a grateful bonus as tye picture of my payslip and promotion in one of my other choices of picture that I sent home to mom and dad will show as much needed £’s ha ha.! So, thank you to everyone who voted, thank you to Lynda for a wonderful prized prize and I’m so grateful that all of us get to share our pictures and memories of a time in our lives that was so special to us all. Thanks JD.

Just what is so special about the QE2 ?

Started by pete cainBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 56
Views: 17591
Last post Nov 09, 2013, 09:16 AM
by Bruce Nicholls
special offers

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 0
Views: 1730
Last post Jul 22, 2011, 06:00 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Special launch-day cruise BE THERE : AT THE LAUNCHING OF THE Q4

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Build Publications and Memorabilia

Replies: 0
Views: 2037
Last post Apr 23, 2013, 06:10 PM
by Rob Lightbody
A special newsletter - why the forum is still important in the Facebook era

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters