Author Topic: QE2 Restaurants  (Read 74633 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Re: QE2 Restaurants
« Reply #60 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:37 PM »
Had this photo send to me today, the Columbia Restaurant in 1983

Louis
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013, 02:49 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #61 on: Jan 20, 2010, 01:14 PM »
Princess Grill 1982.Note the red chairs along the window tables, and no statues.

Louis
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013, 02:50 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #62 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I notice the lovely glass sculptures in your pic, Louis, the centrepieces of each table. By the time we sat there in 2000, most of them were still left, but a few had been replaced with flower vases, as they had been stolen. Such a shame! They were lit from below through a tiny hole in the centre of the table, and looked magnificent. Unfortunately, I never took a photo of them...

My Mum remembers them as her favourite bit of the Priness Grill. I am sure Anja has vivid memories of them, as no doubt they needed to be washed or dusted all the time :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #63 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Nice to see the original (non Race) chairs as Louis says in the window.  When were they replaced I wonder?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #64 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:55 PM »
I notice the lovely glass sculptures in your pic, Louis, the centrepieces of each table. By the time we sat there in 2000, most of them were still left, but a few had been replaced with flower vases, as they had been stolen.

I wonder who has got one.............. ;D

Louis

« Reply #65 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:20 PM »

I wonder who has got one.............. ;D

If by any remote chance anyone here knows of someone, would it be possible to obtain a photograph...?

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #66 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:32 PM »

If by any remote chance anyone here knows of someone, would it be possible to obtain a photograph...?

Heres a photo of the centerpieces.Note the blue race chairs.

Louis

« Reply #67 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:01 PM »
Thank you, Louis. It's great to see them again -- and in their proper place too!

I seem to remember that they too were made by a famous designer, a famous workshop... but cannot remember the details at all... maybe they too will turn up here  ;)  .

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #68 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Queens Grill 1983

Louis

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #69 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:59 PM »
Had this photo send to me today, the Columbia Restaurant in 1983

Louis

How I loved this restaurant.....it was so much nicer than the new Caronia...and those midnight buffets EVERY night in full sail with that wonderful Boston cup the centrepiece  beside magnificent ice sculptures.....  oh happy days......wish I was there,...

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #70 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:43 PM »

How I loved this restaurant.....it was so much nicer than the new Caronia...and those midnight buffets EVERY night in full sail with that wonderful Boston cup the centrepiece  beside magnificent ice sculptures.....  oh happy days......wish I was there,...

Very true and not to forget the Dinner Dancing on the dance floor.That was called atmosphere and all gone........ :(

Louis

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #71 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:46 PM »
Heres me next to the Boston Cup

Louis
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2013, 02:51 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #72 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:09 PM »
QE2's low deck height is more apparent in photos of her interior, than it ever was on board.  I think the wide-angle views accentuate this.

I remember actually thinking this when on board.  From the photos you'd almost imagine that you had to duck to avoid hitting your head.  On board they seemed fine. 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #73 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Louis you must have worked under David Thomson Restaurant Manager.... a good friend of ours...he made you feel like the ONLY passenger in his restaurant..he WAS everything QE2 stood for and you could tell straight away who had been trained by him... and still can today.....he was a perfectionist...   but wasnt the dinner dancing up in the mauretania under the ceiling mirror?

« Reply #74 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:37 PM »
QE2's low deck height is more apparent in photos of her interior, than it ever was on board.  I think the wide-angle views accentuate this.

I remember actually thinking this when on board.  From the photos you'd almost imagine that you had to duck to avoid hitting your head.  On board they seemed fine. 

Rob, I also suspect that the photographer must have been standing on a ladder, or at least a chair, so as to get the overview of the table settings...

I am so glad that you kept the restaurant stock photos, Louis. I often looked at the later ones displayed at the photographer's desk, but never found the colours quite right and therefore never bought them. Even with slightly off colours though, it is great to have these historic views now!

Maybe it's appropriate that my 1000th posting (bringing the upgrade from my beloved Princess Grill to the much less beloved Queen's Grill) is on the restaurants...    :D