Author Topic: Virtual QE2 Model  (Read 40252 times)

Online Bob C.

Re: Virtual QE2 Model
« Reply #75 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Thanks to Lachlan for helping me confirm my guesstimations of the Double Up Room widows with some hints from his awesome model!  Again the QSF enabled a collaborative resource to help keep QE2's legacy alive.

Here's a screen capture of my model's Double Up Room featuring the windows I just finished.  The entire lounge still needs wall and ceiling detail and furniture but its shaping up very nicely.

These windows, many of which have been blanked over, and the area just in front of them are where the shops would eventually move to in 1972. Prior to this the shops were on the Boat Deck between the Double Up Room and Stairway D.   

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #76 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:33 PM »
Good to know that Lachlan could help with your question.  The Double up room is shaping up very well. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Bob C.

« Reply #77 on: Jan 25, 2021, 03:09 AM »
I added some furniture but still need to work on the walls, ceilings and hideaway booths.  Lots of memories are popping up as I add bits of details and the room gets closer to completion.  As I loaded the photos, I had to do a double take at the thumbnails since they looked almost real.  Enjoy.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #78 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:31 AM »
I added some furniture but still need to work on the walls, ceilings and hideaway booths.  Lots of memories are popping up as I add bits of details and the room gets closer to completion.  As I loaded the photos, I had to do a double take at the thumbnails since they looked almost real.  Enjoy.

Hi Bob

This is utterly brilliant! To do the Double Down room is truly awesome :)
As a matter of interest, are you using the same technique / formula for designing / drawing this as you would with a CAD for 3D printing?

And "copying" /replicating glass, and shiny metal  - as well as windows, table tops etc, there was a huge amount on board QE2....thinking of the doors with lovely handles and the round portholes on the swing doors onto the outside decking - Is this tricky?
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2021, 01:56 PM by Twynkle »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #79 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:40 AM »
It's really starting to come to life.  The detail of the chairs and tables is fantastic, as is the detail of the windows. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Bob C.

« Reply #80 on: Jan 25, 2021, 04:36 PM »
Hi Bob

This is utterly brilliant! To do the Double Down room is truly awesome :)
As a matter of interest, are you using the same technique / formula for designing / drawing this as you would with a CAD for 3D printing?

And "copying" /replicating glass, and shiny metal  - as well as windows, table tops etc, there was a huge amount on board QE2....thinking of the doors with lovely handles and the round portholes on the swing doors onto the outside decking - Is this tricky?

Thanks Rosie!  To answer your question about the technique, its pretty much the same.  The software I am using, Sketchup, is not a full CAD software but it can save files in formats that CAD software uses.  I have been toying with the idea of finding someone with a more sophisticated software and see what the file would look like opened in it.

On your second question about certain features being tricky, the answer is yes and no.  It is tricky to get the right glass tint, metal surface and other finishes as Sketchup is a bit limited in its selections.  I'm learning how to get better at this through a material editing feature though.

It is not tricky from the standpoint of being able to reproduce the geometry of an object.  It's been very easy for most of the 2D, horizontal measurements given the deck plans and general arrangement plans I have.  However, for the vertical measurements, such as doors and deck heights and the sizes of portholes, tables and furniture; I have to rely on photos and videos that capture the objects and scaling them to the estimated heights of various nearby objects but mostly people and their body parts (knees, hips, arm lengths, etc.).  For example, the Double Room chairs took about 4 or 5 attempts.  I "guesstimated" the chair height and width using the sitting knee height and shoulder widths of people in the chairs from family photos and advertisements and then placed it in the room to see if it all fit in context.  Even now, looking at it a day later, I may scale it down about another 3-5% - thank God for the scaling tool where I can reduce or expand complex objects with a few mouse clicks!

All good fun and a great hobby for me
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2021, 04:44 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Rod

« Reply #81 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:25 PM »
Truly amazing.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #82 on: Jan 25, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Wonderful work, Bob ! Truly a great project to watch take shape and a very valuable project for future reference !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #83 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:38 PM »
This is quite amazing! I cannot understand how it is even possible... but what a marvel to be able to see QE2 as she was, carpets, furniture and all!

I just wish the technology was already there to be able to step into these pictures...

Thank you so much, Bob :) .

Online Bob C.

« Reply #84 on: Mar 03, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Here's a virtual walk up the Double Room Staircase for your (nostalgic) enjoyment. 

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 08:23 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #85 on: Mar 04, 2021, 08:24 AM »
Here's a virtual walk up the Double Room Staircase for your (nostalgic) enjoyment. 

Bob, I've converted your video to an unlisted Youtube video, hope that's OK.

Its incredible, you should be very proud of what you've achieved!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #86 on: Mar 04, 2021, 10:33 AM »
Perfect Rob. Thank you.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #87 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Bob, absolutely wonderful ! Awesome work !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #88 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:20 PM »
Quite amazing! I am in endless admiration for your work, and for the detail you have been able to incorporate, for instance the slight shading of the glass panels on the stairs. Congratulations!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #89 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:28 PM »
.... instance the slight shading of the glass panels on the stairs. Congratulations!

Yes I noticed that too - very subtle, but very effective!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

shipwatcher's virtual QE2 bridge cam

Started by pete cainBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 4287
Last post Apr 18, 2010, 10:10 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Ever heard of a ''Virtual Balcony Stateroom''

Started by pete cainBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 1052
Last post Mar 08, 2015, 08:25 PM
by Peter Mugridge
QE2 virtual cabin plan (cabins occupied by Forum members)

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 51
Views: 18323
Last post Feb 26, 2024, 01:15 AM
by Ab Ovo
Zoom virtual get-together - 25th June 2020 - 8:30pm London time

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 898
Last post Jun 25, 2020, 08:36 PM
by Rob Lightbody
The Virtual QE2 Experience on Cunard's Site

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 12
Views: 4832
Last post Apr 26, 2015, 07:18 AM
by Brandon Sterkel