Author Topic: Virtual QE2 Model  (Read 40607 times)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Virtual QE2 Model
« Reply #30 on: Oct 12, 2020, 11:23 PM »
Perfect Michael.  Yes it is 17 steps from 2 Deck to 1 Deck on D stairway.  Just as I had counted before but now verified with that great photo. 

However the dilemma still stands as to why there are 18 steps between 2 Deck and 1 Deck on Stairway E.  Hmmm....

Did the deck headrooms vary at different positions along the length of the ship?  Remembering that the hull wasn't flat but curved up towards the ends...

A difference equal to the drop of one step wouldn't be obvious visibly over the distances concerned would it?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:01 AM »
I had considered the deck sheer Peter but both D and E Stairways are close to midships where the deck is flat.  The two stairways bracket the power plant uptakes.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2020, 01:04 AM »
Ah.

*scratches head*
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2020, 02:36 AM »
More fuel to the fire - D Stairway has 17 steps from 3 Deck to 2 Deck (5 steps-landing-7 steps-landing-5 steps) and E Stairway has 15 (5 steps-landing-5 steps-landing-5 steps).

I keep looking at the rise of the steps (vertical step height) in the various photos and don't see any difference. 

I would not think that the rise would be different from stairway to stairway or within a stairway.  Here are the deck height differences (in number of steps) between D and E Stairways that I've seen so far:

Deck      Stairway D     Stairway E       Cumulative Difference
             # of steps       # of Steps      (all decks combined from 5 Deck on up)
 U to B        22                 21                         7
 Q to U        22                 21                         6
 1 to Q        18                 16                         5     
 2 to 1        17                 16                          3
 3 to 2        17                 15                          2
 4 to 3        15                 15                          0
 5 to 4        15                 15                          0

The only explanation I can think of is that the step rise is different on Stairway E (at least for Three Deck and up) than it is for Stairway D.  Its a mystery!
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2020, 03:27 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #34 on: Oct 18, 2020, 12:16 PM »
Bob - as promised: images of One Deck to Two Deck which show eight steps between One Deck and the first landing. The first four images dated 2008 with the last two dated 2019.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2020, 05:18 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #35 on: Oct 18, 2020, 12:25 PM »
Bob - from two Deck downwards there are only five steps down to the first landing:

Two to Three Deck

Three to Four Deck

Four to Five Deck
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2020, 05:18 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #36 on: Oct 18, 2020, 12:32 PM »
Bob - I also refer to a post I made in 2010 (copied below) which tells of E Stairway being radically redesigned in 1966 once the number of classes had been resolved. This means the final layout was finalised long after the other staircases and that may account for a different stair height?

When the initial design called for QE2 to be a three-class vessel this staircase at frames 124 – 132) was originally intended to be used by Cabin and Tourist Class passengers. While stairway arrangements were almost complete by January 1966, by February 1966 the design and layout was being reconsidered in order to improve the stairway when the ship was cruising. The arrangement of stairs and lifts were modified to bring the four lifts on athwartship line at the aft end of the stairway enclosure. Lifts 13 and 14 would remain Tourist Class and their controls were arranged so that they worked as a pair, as in their former position. In addition arrangements were made so that all four lifts could be linked together for when the vessel was cruising. The realignment of the lifts would result in slight modifications to the after bulkhead of the boiler casing with it being extended from frame131½ to frame 131 on B (Four) and C (Five) Decks. At this point a final decision on how the two stairways would be divided had still not been made with the choice being between a full height Marinite division or a balustrade – no steel structure would be involved. In order to provide a cross passage a slight re-arrangement of the B (Four) Deck accommodation abaft the engine casing was required. These changes were confirmed that month despite a final decision on the final number of classes not being made – that decision would follow in May 1966. The plans of the stairways were examined and given preliminary approval in April 1966.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #37 on: Oct 18, 2020, 01:49 PM »
Thanks Michael, that confirmed my counting.  What I am doing is adjusting the step rise height to get the top of the stair flights to match the deck heights.  So far you can’t notice the difference unless you look very closely.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #38 on: Nov 07, 2020, 04:46 PM »
I just finished roughing out Stairway E ('69 colors).  Next will be working the underside of the stairs, the aluminum extruded handrails, the center rails and some other details.  Once that's done, I'll stick it in the ship!   

Check out the photos!
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2021, 06:07 PM by Bob C. »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #39 on: Nov 07, 2020, 05:23 PM »
Absolutely awesome with the differences in the number of steps between decks !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #40 on: Nov 07, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Absolutely awesome with the differences in the number of steps between decks !  :)

And the style of the steps.  Notice that from Five Deck to Three Deck there are two landings between each deck and from Two Deck to Q Deck there is only one landing between decks and then two landings again from Q to B.  Drove me up a wall getting that right.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 12:41 AM by Bob C. »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #41 on: Nov 07, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Yes, absolutely amazing !  :)

Awhile ago, you mentioned having to reduce file size to accommodate your plans. How is that situation at present ?
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2020, 06:28 PM by June Ingram »
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #42 on: Nov 07, 2020, 06:45 PM »
I just finished roughing our Stairway E ('69 colors).  Next will be working the underside of the stairs, the aluminum extruded handrails, the center rails and some other details.  Once that's done, I'll stick it in the ship!   

Check out the photos!

Wonderful work Bob! If you're able to put your model, when finished and with selected "photo" angles like you've done so far, through a photorealistic renderer such as the Indigo Renderer for Sketchup that would be crazy awesome! I am intrigued as to how you modelled the original Midship Lobby's intricate ceiling - with a lot of patience I would imagine!

https://www.indigorenderer.com/
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2020, 06:48 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #43 on: Nov 07, 2020, 07:56 PM »
Wonderful work Bob! If you're able to put your model, when finished and with selected "photo" angles like you've done so far, through a photorealistic renderer such as the Indigo Renderer for Sketchup that would be crazy awesome! I am intrigued as to how you modelled the original Midship Lobby's intricate ceiling - with a lot of patience I would imagine!

https://www.indigorenderer.com/

A lot of patience is an understatement.  Thank God for the spline and rotate tools.  Otherwise I took much of the vertical and 3d dimensions from personal, Forum and internet photos and estimating proportions.   I'll look into the photorealistic rendering options.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2020, 01:50 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2020, 07:58 PM »
Yes, absolutely amazing !  :)

Awhile ago, you mentioned having to reduce file size to accommodate your plans. How is that situation at present ?

The file size is quickly approaching an unstable size.  Still working on how to best manage that.  I may go from 3d walls and floors to a 2d plane based on what can be seen.  That should help reduce it a bit.