Author Topic: Virtual QE2 Model  (Read 40251 times)

Offline Chris Thompson

Re: Virtual QE2 Model
« Reply #180 on: Mar 18, 2023, 08:18 PM »
Hi Bob, yes those files can be a bit Finicky, l create a lot of my designs from Turbo CAD, now and then it gets confused by solid objects. Awesome tool though, I have my own business installing custom AV and CCTV systems, I can now easily manufacture custom mounting brackets and electrical boxes. Recently made this gate post top for a local housing community.

Offline Mike Mason (Mick)

« Reply #181 on: Mar 27, 2023, 10:29 PM »
An amazing view from the Look Out Bar with the plotter great fun. Most crew couldn't believe it getting ripped out, and the Britannia service kitchen replacing it. The original kitchen of a traditional style was much better than what came after, I heard recently that some reasoning behind it was accidents on the Britannia restaurant escalators and failures of the machinery. You always knew when someone fell or dropped their tray the racket was unbelievable. As for breakdowns and a static stair the speed some waiters raced up it was brilliant to watch. Thank you for your post

Online Bob C.

« Reply #182 on: Jun 07, 2023, 01:28 PM »
I've been working on the Grill Room Bar/Princess Grill Lounge/Bar and need to call on the Forum's memory.  What did the spiral staircase look like at the top.  I have one photo that sort of shows that corner of the Grill Room/PG on the Quarter Deck and a very vague memory but nothing that shows detail.

Does anyone know if there was a rail, a solid 1/2 wall or a full wall at the top of the stairs?  (please see the orange arrow in the photo below)

If anyone has any other photos of the bar/staircase or PG they'd like to share, I'd love to use them for reference!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #183 on: Jun 07, 2023, 08:23 PM »
Good to see your virtual model Grill Room Princess Grill Lounge Bar.  I hope this jogs memories to help your question about the top of the stairs.

I have searched for the Princess Grill photos on the Gallery.  I don't think there are any photos that will help but they may be useful for other parts of your work. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Bob C.

« Reply #184 on: Jun 08, 2023, 01:13 AM »
Thanks Lynda.  This is a great source of reference photos (fantastic photos of you too)!  John Little's photo of Amy on the spiral steps shows a bit of a wood veneer wall for the location I am asking about. 

If anyone knows if this was a 1/2 wall one cold look over and down at the spiral steps or a full floor-to-ceiling wall, please let me know.

We've all walked by there dozens of times but I guess it's one of those things one never thinks about.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #185 on: Jun 08, 2023, 09:46 AM »
Have you had a look at the Grill Room Bar topic 

Good photo that Rob has posted also deck plan posted by Michael Gallagher that may be useful for your project. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Bob C.

« Reply #186 on: Jun 08, 2023, 11:07 AM »
Thanks again Lynda.  Yes, I’ve referenced that topic and borrowed the deck plan there to get dimensions - very helpful.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #187 on: Jul 10, 2023, 03:27 PM »
Thanks Lynda.  This is a great source of reference photos (fantastic photos of you too)!  John Little's photo of Amy on the spiral steps shows a bit of a wood veneer wall for the location I am asking about. 

If anyone knows if this was a 1/2 wall one cold look over and down at the spiral steps or a full floor-to-ceiling wall, please let me know.

We've all walked by there dozens of times but I guess it's one of those things one never thinks about.

Good things come to those who wait (or search diligently).  The wall at the top of the stair is a half wall.  The video on this QSF page brilliantly shows a lot of detail in that area!

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=2313.msg25619#msg25619

God bless this forum and those who support it!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #188 on: Jul 11, 2023, 09:47 AM »

Good things come to those who wait (or search diligently).  The wall at the top of the stair is a half wall.  The video on this QSF page brilliantly shows a lot of detail in that area!

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=2313.msg25619#msg25619

God bless this forum and those who support it!

Bob your search for information has led to you reminding us of the video footage of the Princess Grill on the C Stairway topic.  What a great memory to see this restaurant as it was. 

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #189 on: Jul 12, 2023, 12:58 PM »
Bob

Sorry - late to the party but this image I took in 2008 confirms that the rail was half wall but it looks like you could not look over onto the staircase but it's not very clear!

The lower part of the railing had obviously been infilled with 'wood' at some point!

The two drawings are the original plans for the space.

Michael
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2023, 01:04 PM by Michael Gallagher »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #190 on: Jul 12, 2023, 02:41 PM »
Thanks Michael!  Between these two photos and the video, this gives me more than enough to work with. I've been using the orginal plans that I found on another page in the Forum. Based on these, I believe one could look over the 1/2 wall down to the floor below (if the tables were not there).  Once I get a bit more detail in my model, I'll post a few photos and perhaps a video that show that. 

Spiral staircase handrails that join into other railings are a true pain!  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2023, 02:43 PM by Bob C. »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #191 on: Sep 30, 2023, 03:24 PM »
Taking shape!

It's not shown but I'm switching progress back and forth between the Grill Room Bar and the Grill Room itself. I hope to get it rendered for a realistic look as well as a video going from one room to the other. 
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2023, 03:26 PM by Bob C. »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2024, 03:14 AM »
It's been a while since I checked in - lots of things going on recently and unfortunately the virtual model has not been one of them.  However, I just started playing with a rendering program, lighting and other things to move closer to the goal of virtually walking through QE2 as she was. 

Here is my test video.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2024, 07:18 AM »
Thanks Bob for the update and the test video.  I cannot wait to see more.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #194 on: May 28, 2024, 05:24 PM »
I reduced the size and put it on YouTube -
Not as good of a resolution but it's a test video after all...

shipwatcher's virtual QE2 bridge cam

Started by pete cainBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 4287
Last post Apr 18, 2010, 10:10 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Ever heard of a ''Virtual Balcony Stateroom''

Started by pete cainBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 1052
Last post Mar 08, 2015, 08:25 PM
by Peter Mugridge
QE2 virtual cabin plan (cabins occupied by Forum members)

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 51
Views: 18323
Last post Feb 26, 2024, 01:15 AM
by Ab Ovo
Zoom virtual get-together - 25th June 2020 - 8:30pm London time

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 898
Last post Jun 25, 2020, 08:36 PM
by Rob Lightbody
The Virtual QE2 Experience on Cunard's Site

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 12
Views: 4832
Last post Apr 26, 2015, 07:18 AM
by Brandon Sterkel