Author Topic: Virtual QE2 Model  (Read 40254 times)

Online Bob C.

Re: Virtual QE2 Model
« Reply #165 on: Oct 05, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Steven, for my model, I've found that actual dimensions are very scarce.  I have been using deck plans and general arrangement plans for horizontal dimensions and measuring them with a ruler in millimeters - the scale of one of my larger deck plans is 1 foot = 1mm, very convenient.  Seems to be working quite well.

Vertical dimensions are a much different story and are pretty much non-existent.  I've used lots of methods to estimate those and have been pretty successful.  I can relay them as you would like.  Feel free to send me a message via the Forum.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #166 on: Oct 05, 2022, 11:00 PM »
Been working on the Lookout Bar lately.  I need to clean up some things and add some detail but this room is feeling like 1969.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #167 on: Oct 05, 2022, 11:04 PM »
I added the deck in front for some realism and out of curiosity.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #168 on: Oct 08, 2022, 12:31 PM »
Amazing stuff Bob!  Maybe QE2 Dubai will see it and feel inspired 😜
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #169 on: Oct 09, 2022, 01:49 PM »
Good to see updates on your model Bob.  I particularly like the deck in front of the Lookout Bar, a reminder of what it looked like when you were first on the ship. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Bob C.

« Reply #170 on: Feb 12, 2023, 09:43 PM »
Its been a while since I posted here.  A lot going on in the past several months.  Regardless, I am upgrading to more computing power which will help me overcome some of the processing time and software crashing headaches that have been a de-motivator to progress this last year. 

I just received all the computer parts and will hopefully report back here soon with renewed enthusiasm undaunted by processing power -   :).

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #171 on: Feb 13, 2023, 08:27 AM »
Looking forward to it Bob, good luck!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #172 on: Feb 23, 2023, 03:39 PM »
I now have my new computer up and running (it's fast!) and while transferring files to it, I ran across this rendered picture of my model of the Double Room that I don't think I've posted before.  I am now officially re-inspired!  (I could spend hours looking at this photo and wishing I could crawl through the screen...lol)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #173 on: Feb 23, 2023, 05:10 PM »
Thats very cool Bob.  Something about the model - even static photos like that - make it seem easier to imagine being in the space, than the old photos... I don't know why.   And that space definitely lost something in later years...

Online Bob C.

« Reply #174 on: Feb 23, 2023, 05:25 PM »
It's not a space conducive for maximized viewing of a cabaret floorshow and the entertainers are primarily performing to the staircase in front of them and secondarily to the front row of chairs on either side.  Tables and booths behind the stage, outboard sides of the Double Down room and on the outskirts of the Double Up room (69-72) really had a restricted view.  Regardless, the interior decoration aesthetics of this space were unparalleled.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2023, 05:28 PM by Bob C. »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #175 on: Feb 25, 2023, 01:39 AM »
Awesome, Bob, it does indeed look as though one could walk right into the picture !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Bob C.

« Reply #176 on: Mar 16, 2023, 03:06 AM »
Added some detail to the Lookout Bar including the seascape backdrop.  Looks much better than a galley!

I had to completely redo the interior and exterior walls by now they will look better when rendered. 

Now to tackle the linen-fold wall - currently white and flat in this picture.  If anyone has a good photo of the complete wall (as much as can fit in a frame) let me know.  All I have is photos of bits and pieces.  It will be a challenge.

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #177 on: Mar 16, 2023, 11:52 AM »
Hi Bob,
tecchie question here, are those designs convertable to an STL file format?
Thinking 3D printing here, also wondering if you tried that.
Cheers
Chris

Online Bob C.

« Reply #178 on: Mar 16, 2023, 01:56 PM »
Hi Chris.  I can export to an .stl file however there is a catch.  Some of the work arounds I've used (mostly from gaining experience with the software and tool extension) create small gaps in model continuity and 3d printing cannot recognize the file as a solid that can be printed. 

My son does 3d printing and I gave him a file for the Chart Reader to print but it basically said the model was not a solid (discontinuous).

I've since learned of some good tools and extension tricks and may redo the Chart Reader model at some point.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2023, 01:57 PM by Bob C. »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #179 on: Mar 16, 2023, 01:58 PM »
However, thinking on this more - how cool it would be to have a 3D printed interior model of the QE2!

shipwatcher's virtual QE2 bridge cam

Started by pete cainBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 4287
Last post Apr 18, 2010, 10:10 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Ever heard of a ''Virtual Balcony Stateroom''

Started by pete cainBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 1052
Last post Mar 08, 2015, 08:25 PM
by Peter Mugridge
QE2 virtual cabin plan (cabins occupied by Forum members)

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 51
Views: 18323
Last post Feb 26, 2024, 01:15 AM
by Ab Ovo
Zoom virtual get-together - 25th June 2020 - 8:30pm London time

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 898
Last post Jun 25, 2020, 08:36 PM
by Rob Lightbody
The Virtual QE2 Experience on Cunard's Site

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 12
Views: 4832
Last post Apr 26, 2015, 07:18 AM
by Brandon Sterkel