Author Topic: Virtual QE2 Model  (Read 40253 times)

Online Bob C.

Re: Virtual QE2 Model
« Reply #105 on: Apr 11, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Michael, do you know if the orange/red section on the floor in the bottom of this photo is a ramp? 

The deck plan shows two steps there as well as on both the port and stbd sides.  I don’t recall a ramp being there but then again, I don’t remember the two steps either.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2021, 07:41 PM by Bob C. »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #106 on: Apr 11, 2021, 08:41 PM »
It looks like a ramp to me.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #107 on: Apr 12, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Incredible detail about the Lookout Bar and the Chart Reader - fantastic Michael!  Lovely to be able to see exactly what it did.

Is it possible that not a single photo exists of it in action?

Imagine if it was found, completely intact somewhere... what would you pay for it?

Moderator Note - I think we need to copy Michael's content about the Lookout Bar to its own topic (there must be one already!) and perhaps the Chart Reader even needs its own topic??

I have split and moved the photos of the Lookout Bar to the existing topic QE2's original Look-out bar by Theo Crosby

Moderator Note: I will leave the Chart Reader for a couple of days to let everyone see the detail then consider whether it would be better in the above topic of a new topic on the Chart Reader. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Bob C.

« Reply #108 on: Apr 12, 2021, 10:09 PM »
Thanks to MG posting the excellent Lookout Bar deckplan, I couldn't wait to see how it looked and laid it out fairly quickly.  While doing so I thought you might be interested in seeing some of the initial stages of the work that goes into these computer models. 

This part, the easy part, took one night. Its' the equivalent of building the ship on the stocks and then launching it down the ways.  The next part - the longer, detailed part is the same as being in the fitting out basin where all the details are added. 

I'm moving back over to the details of the Double Room and will get back to the Lookout Bar in a few weeks.  In the meantime, enjoy the photos.  The file names describe the actions taken.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #109 on: Apr 13, 2021, 10:08 AM »
How utterly fascinating to see your work in progress Bob.

Those alcoves are amazing, they would have been amazing wee private areas for a small party, with great sea views.  Reminds me a little bit of the side areas in QM's commodore club (under the bridge wings) and also of the sides of the Yacht Club in QE2's final design.

I look forward to being able to enter the room for the first time, via your model!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #110 on: Apr 13, 2021, 10:27 AM »
Amazing to see how you build up the model from scratch.  Thanks for giving us an insight into your work. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #111 on: Apr 13, 2021, 11:11 AM »
To confuse matters further I thought I'd add some photos I took in Dubai of the Lookout bar...

In the first photo, I think the pillars are the same ones as can be seen towards the front of the lookout bar, the front of the ship and the "big box" is to the right.

You can also see one of the "buttress" things, also visible in the original bar, if you look immediately to the right of the portside door, where the fire-blanket is mounted.

I wonder if someone knows why they left one "window" bare - it serves no purpose as its sealed.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2021, 11:24 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #112 on: Apr 13, 2021, 11:15 AM »
And here's some of the space outside the Lookout bar.  One of my favourite bits to visit while in Dubai, but oh how much it hurt my eyes!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #113 on: Apr 13, 2021, 03:36 PM »
All one level - no sunken forward floor.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #114 on: Apr 19, 2021, 06:30 PM »
The posts on the Chart Reader have been moved to a new topic:
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=9688.0

Online Bob C.

« Reply #115 on: Apr 20, 2021, 08:34 PM »
Here's a progress check-in for the Lookout Bar. 

I need to give my human scale reference a hardhat, safety glasses and a reflective vest if she is to continue to stand in the construction zone -  :D

Online Bob C.

« Reply #116 on: Apr 21, 2021, 02:37 AM »
Worked on the Chart Reader a bit. 

Thanks to Michael's drawings, this is turning out a lot more accurate than it otherwise would have and will look really nice once rendered.  I need a better clock face to insert though. 
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2021, 02:40 AM by Bob C. »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #117 on: Apr 29, 2021, 05:30 PM »
Here's the chart reader.  To say there was a lot of work on this is an understatement.

I'm having a tough time finding clear photos of the top of the reader to model the control panel, clock and compass accurately. If anyone has them please shoot me a message or post them on The forum topic of "QE2's original Look-out bar, by Theo Crosby" at this link -

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=6108.40
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2021, 02:25 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #118 on: Apr 29, 2021, 09:02 PM »
WOW Bob.C, excellent work, thinking there may be a way to convert that into a file for 3D printing. Make minatures as key fobs etc :D

Online Bob C.

« Reply #119 on: Apr 29, 2021, 09:44 PM »
Now there's an idea.  I wonder how many folks out there would know what the chart reader is - gaging the market - lol

The file can easily be converted to a 3D printer file.  I'll have to ask my son to print one up although I will probably need to supply him with the appropriately colored filament.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 09:49 PM by Bob C. »

shipwatcher's virtual QE2 bridge cam

Started by pete cainBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 6
Views: 4287
Last post Apr 18, 2010, 10:10 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Ever heard of a ''Virtual Balcony Stateroom''

Started by pete cainBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 1052
Last post Mar 08, 2015, 08:25 PM
by Peter Mugridge
QE2 virtual cabin plan (cabins occupied by Forum members)

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 51
Views: 18323
Last post Feb 26, 2024, 01:15 AM
by Ab Ovo
Zoom virtual get-together - 25th June 2020 - 8:30pm London time

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 898
Last post Jun 25, 2020, 08:36 PM
by Rob Lightbody
The Virtual QE2 Experience on Cunard's Site

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 12
Views: 4832
Last post Apr 26, 2015, 07:18 AM
by Brandon Sterkel