Author Topic: Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?  (Read 10254 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?
« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2021, 08:51 AM »
Regarding Quarantine Hotels, interesting article here.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/feb/17/what-australia-has-learned-from-a-year-of-covid-hotel-quarantine

Especially some of the Australian findings that it can jump between rooms, and jump out to the corridor.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:14 PM »
To be honest Rob, and others, from what I have read, the virus has a lot of similarities to bedbugs!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #47 on: Mar 12, 2021, 11:36 AM »
The trouble is you cant simply restart right away, it takes time to get everything going again. Its not like switching on a light switch

If we take the actual ship maintenance out of the picture, the next big problem - the biggest problem - is the people - the crew.  They're all in the wrong places, and it took lots of months to get them all home when this thing started, and it will take the same again this time.

I had also wondered if the ships will end up with at least some of their original crew, or if they'll end up scattered around on all different ships.  Would be a shame, as the crew are so vital to the atmosphere on board - and with the Cunard ships there was still a link with some of them back to QE2.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #48 on: Apr 01, 2021, 06:07 PM »
I see Cunard are saying they've had their busiest day of bookings in a decade today.  I'm pleased for them, the demand is there, clearly.  Lots of vaccinated, wealthy, bored older people champing at the bit!

Now was it QE2's retirement announcement, or the opening of the new QE to bookings that was what they're referring to a decade ago?

They're offering UK Cruises - and also "sun voyages" - sailing from Southampton to the Sun, but nobody gets off anywhere.  Actually sounds quite nice...
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2021, 06:10 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #49 on: Apr 10, 2021, 08:17 AM »
A massive volcano has erupted on the island of Saint Vincent in the Caribbean :

www.nytimes.com/2021/04/09/world/americas/volcano-St-Vincent-eruption-caribbean.amp.html

The BBC reports this morning that evacuations from the island are mostly to cruise ships standing by, because the other islands in the same State are worried about evacuees bringing in Covid.

I found this video about the cruise ships racing to the scene. It will be very interesting to see how this can work.

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2021, 11:06 PM »
Jonathan Boonzaier went on a three-night cruise on Dream Cruises' World Dream out of Singapore in order to write a series of articles on how cruising could be re-started.

Here is one that is free to read for non subscribers :

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/full-steam-ahead-the-show-has-to-go-on-for-cruise-but-is-no-easy-task-with-covid-19/2-1-1004293

And his second article follows :

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/masks-and-magicians-cruising-in-the-covid-19-era/2-1-1002837
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 06:03 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #51 on: Jul 09, 2021, 01:40 PM »
Cunard's Queen Elizabeth was about to resume sailings, but new crew joining the ship brought Covid on board with them...

Shows how hard it is to "keep it out" despite every possible precaution.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/07/07/crew-members-cunards-queen-elizabeth-ship-test-positive-covid/7885169002/

Is anyone reading this going on any sort of cruise this year?

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #52 on: Jul 09, 2021, 04:16 PM »
Cunard's Queen Elizabeth was about to resume sailings, but new crew joining the ship brought Covid on board with them...

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/07/07/crew-members-cunards-queen-elizabeth-ship-test-positive-covid/7885169002/

Is anyone reading this going on any sort of cruise this year?

My Dad and his fiancé are going on QM2's first passenger sailing since the restart, in November, if things go to plan. QM2 is due to refit, and needs it, sometime before then...

I will be joining my first ship for work sometime in the New Year, albeit it won't be a cruise ship through personal choice.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #53 on: Jul 10, 2021, 01:14 AM »
No cruise this year, but I'm carving out plans to do something as a treat for myself after I graduate from school in June 2022. However at the rate that things are going with covid I don't think I can see it happening. A matter of time, I guess.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #54 on: Jul 10, 2021, 10:11 PM »
We have booked one of the 7 day sunshine cruises at the end of September on QE. No itinerary, no stops, just follow the best weather.
Here's hoping!

Offline segura

« Reply #55 on: Jul 12, 2021, 01:48 PM »
Not exactly cruising related but if you want to slake your thirst for going on a one-day trip on a boat I can suggest the ferry services between Cesme and Chios. As far as I understood there are no tests or vaccination documents required since no one asked to see neither before boarding nor during the trip. You just need to buy a Greek visa before you leave though it's not so costly. The last boat trip we have had with my family was 3 years ago before the pandemic to buy house in Cannes and this one is the first trip we had since then. I can't express how much I missed the feeling...

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #56 on: Jul 12, 2021, 04:54 PM »
The Jimmy Sturr Orchestra is booked for a cruise on Sky Princess at the end of January 2022. It remains to be seen if it actually takes place, or if nervous people cancel their bookings.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

« Reply #57 on: Jul 12, 2021, 07:55 PM »
Not exactly cruising related but if you want to slake your thirst for going on a one-day trip on a boat I can suggest the ferry services between Cesme and Chios. As far as I understood there are no tests or vaccination documents required since no one asked to see neither before boarding nor during the trip. You just need to buy a Greek visa before you leave though it's not so costly. The last boat trip we have had with my family was 3 years ago before the pandemic to buy house in Cannes and this one is the first trip we had since then. I can't express how much I missed the feeling...

Yes, ferries and all kinds of little ships would interest me now. I have no idea whether I would ever want to go on a cruise again. I think to a very large extent it would depend on who else comes... and not because of an interest in a particular ship.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #58 on: Jul 13, 2021, 02:41 PM »

I was surprised on my recent trip to London Its all very well pushing the NHS Track and trace and asking everyone to scan that QR code. I scanned it on multiple times at various locations. It wouldn't work as my postcode wasn't accepted.(its a scottish one)  so then the marvelous system swung into action , for some places you were just ushered through, 2 places had the form to leave your details but no pens, use your own l was told , but l had no pen.  one place took down my details.and the rest were not really bothered. A charming little cafe l was served by an old dear, she asked "But you will have had both vaccines " l said Yes and im past the 3 week stage , but l just dont have proof on me. " she looked straight at me and said "But you have a kind honest face " l wasn't sure if l should laugh cry or give her a big hug .

As was mentioned onboard Easyjet "We can all help reduce the spread by wearing masks, so we ask that all passengers wear masks"
l was enjoying  a cuppa onboard and was finished and nodded off and was prodded by a member of the crew. She was polite, but firm and l was mortified that l had let my regime slip. l must say they were very good in the mask department.

My thoughts were on the poor staff at that football place.  dealing with the ******* l fear they might have had a better response by peeing in the wind, and we know how effective that is.

It would be nice to be able to travel like the old days, but l fear those days are long gone.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

1967 QE2 Jigsaw no 1 - The Cruising QE2 - Have a go!

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The QE2 Story Jigsaws

Replies: 124
Views: 25129
Last post Dec 26, 2022, 09:36 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
QE2 presence on the Cruising Queens

Started by cunarder1212Board The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 158
Views: 49457
Last post Oct 29, 2017, 04:47 PM
by Twynkle
'QE2 30 Years of Cruising'

Started by TwynkleBoard The 1990s

Replies: 0
Views: 1254
Last post Jun 07, 2015, 03:03 PM
by Twynkle
Russo-Ukrainian War and the Cruising Industry: a general discussion

Started by Trevor HarrisBoard Sea Shanties