Author Topic: SS Orcades  (Read 812 times)

Online Chris Thompson

SS Orcades
« on: Nov 17, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Just found this fantastic old film on YouTube.....
Love the 'proper' British merchant navy professionalism seen here.

I am a passenger
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 03:56 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: SS Orcades
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2019, 02:52 PM »
Just watched it this morning too! Caronia makes an appearance docked where the current Ocean Terminal is, Orcades being docked at the old Art Deco style (but built after WW2) Ocean Terminal. I also spied what seemed to be RMS Andes in the distance in one of the shots and what might be an older (at the time) Elders & Fifes Banana boat in the foreground of the same shot. The complete merger of Orient Line into P&O took place in 1966 which also dates the film.

I can also recommend "The Way Of A Ship" filmed on her sister Oronsay when new in 1953. The film also features the tug/tender Calshot assisting Oronsay in Southampton with a host of other tugs. Calshot being the last ship still afloat in Southampton that was present in the old days.

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 02:56 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.