Author Topic: Photo competition results : 2021 calendar  (Read 5313 times)

Offline George C Griffiths

Re: Photo competition results : 2021 calendar
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2020, 08:57 AM »
As far as my photo being judged the winner in the December competition - a big thanks to all who voted.
As I said - it was taken in Malta - and specifically Valletta of course. I had been to Malta many times both on QE2 and for a week's holiday 2 or 3 times over the years. So that particular call in to Malta was not particularly special. So what I decided to do was to wander along to the QEII (Note it's not QE2!) bar on Malta for a few drinks and just watch the world go by. If anyone has never been in the QEII bar or didn't know of its existence I can probably find a picture or two of it - although it's nothing special. It was only because of the name I wanted to go there!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Thank you both for coming back here with the stories related to your wonderful pictures. It is always such a pleasure to read of the background and recall the atmosphere in which they were taken.

I have never been to Malta by ship, but imagine it must be one of the most splendid harbour entrances. I used to love watching QE2 on the bridgecam at my workplace, and if she was in Malta, I downloaded and kept many of the pictures.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:48 PM »
For the January competition, on the topic of "Ropes, cables and chains", we have two decisive winners with wonderful photos.

Hamburger's "Complete chain" is an extraordinary picture, one that very very few of us would ever have had the privilege of seeing :

And the very close runner-up was Cunarder Man's "Tied up in Malaga 2004" with its frayed but solid rope :

Two fine pictures, which I am already looking forward to incorporating in next year's calendar!

Congratulations to both photographers!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Both excellent photos, also looking forward to seeing them in the calendar.

Cunarder Man, did you take your photo during QE2's overnight stay in Malaga in October 2004? If so my parents and I were also onboard.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2020, 12:31 AM »
Congratulations to Hamburger for his winning photo, and congratulations to Cunarder Man for his runner up winning photo !  Both are spectacular views of our QE2 and will make great additions to next year's calendar !  Many thanks to all who submitted their photos to the January competition.  It is amazing how many awesome photos have been viewed over the years of our beloved ship !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline skilly56

« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2020, 11:07 AM »
George's mention of the QEII Bar in Malta (Feb 20th, 2020) got my memory neurons going. On 11.07.2008 I stood outside the door of the bar (see attached photo) and was very tempted to enter and have a drink to cool down. Then I remembered I had my youngest son with me, and I didn't want to lead him astray as he had to return for duty in a couple of hours (QE2 3/O).

We wandered on further, spent a few more hours in town, and eventually returned to the ship via the road down from the RAF Memorial. I turned to look at QE2, then took the attached photo of her - nearly the same as the one George took, but there was a lot less traffic on the wharf. My angle is slightly different, so I couldn't have stood on the same spot!
Great Coincidence - I wonder how many others snapped the same photo.
A greatly enlarged version now hangs on my office wall. The photo date says 12.07.2008 because the camera was still set on Kiwi time - a day ahead.

Skilly
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2020, 11:13 AM by skilly56 »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2020, 02:13 PM »
Yes, a great photo !  I imagine many photos were taken as she looks so good.  QE2 is especially photogenic when there is a palm tree in the photo !   :)

« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2020, 11:35 AM »
The February competition on "Works of Art on board QE2" led to the extraordinary result of three winners : Cunarder Man's "Mauretania" and "Mauretania restaurant art" and Frazscot's "Stair from One Deck". Well deserved congratulations to both!

Mauretania

Mauretania Restaurant Art

Stair from One Deck

The runner-up is James A Hypher's "Lido midnight ice sculpture", entered by Thomas Hypher.

Lido Midnight Buffet Ice Sculpture

All of these are beautiful, and the fact that only one vote separated them, just shows how many works of art we appreciated on board QE2. Wonderful memories!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2020, 03:17 PM »
All fabulous pictures - congratulations to everyone
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 02, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Congratulations to Cunarder Man and Frazscot!

My Dad is chuffed to be runner up :)
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #25 on: Apr 03, 2020, 12:28 AM »
Congratulations to all for their winning and runner up photos !  They are spectacular photos !  And many thanks to all who submitted photos to this month's competition.  They are all very special remembrances of our beloved QE2 !  :)

Offline frazscot

« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2020, 05:16 PM »
Chuffed is a great word and I'm really chuffed to have won this months competition especially when I was up against such great pictures.       I thought my other selection 'Finished with engines"might be in with a chance as it was a small part of a great piece of art not normally noticed but the stair from my favourite deck won the day.
Now I will have to pick a subject for another contest and that could be difficult to find something that has not yet been done...................

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2020, 06:28 PM »
Congratulation to all competition winners.  Wonderful photos that I really enjoyed viewing and they made choosing 3 favourites very difficult. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 04:10 PM »
Voting has finished for the March competition "Famous Faces on the most famous ship afloat" - thank-you to everyone who uploaded photos.

Congratulations to the winner, Ben Zabulis' with his photo "Jasper the bear looking out the porthole - Lisbon (2004)"

Congratulation also to the runner up, Hamburger with his photo "A lot of famous faces aboard - observing QM2"

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 11:01 PM »
Wonderful photos, both of them! Congratulations, and thank you for sharing these great pictures with us :) .