Author Topic: New Cruise Ship Orders Continues Set Records  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Re: New Cruise Ship Orders Continues Set Records
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2018, 02:10 PM »
Marco Polo and Astoria are leaving CMV in 2019 apparently and to uncertain futures (likely scrap as many a ship in good condition as they are has ended up on the beaches). Marco Polo is being bought by a company that wants to operate a similar business model of selling flats/condos as the ship called The World has done successfully for some years now. Problem is the start-up's prices are extortionate and for that reason alone I don't see it happening hence saying Marco Polo has an uncertain future. I have not seen any plans for Astoria after she leaves CMV either.

Not to mention P&O Cruises' current Oriana is in the twilight of her career with them and has had a series of mechanical issues recently (and an unscheduled drydocking in Hamburg back in January for what P&O are saying is routine maintenance but was just brought forward - call me cynical - P&O's new ship is due to join them in 2020 or 2022 (can't remember which?) and Oriana is too big for the likes of Phoenix Reisen (if thinking of Royal Princess/Artemis/Artania) as I heard they looked at what is currently CMV's Columbus (ex MV Arcadia etc) and thought she was too big. I suspect Aurora will follow Oriana in leaving the fleet during the 2020s mainly due to the ever restrictive environmental regulations (one of the reasons for these new LNG cruise ships).

Anyway I must stop rambling!

Thomas

Sad in a way but inevitable, otherwise we would all be driving round in Ford T's & similar.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2018, 05:34 PM »
@Thomas

Is this what you are talking about which puts H&W in place as a major contractor?

http://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/01/09/news/mjm-group-cruise-ship-fit-out-deal-a-game-changer-for-uk-marine-industry-1227552/

Yes, that's it! Some of the best news out of UK civilian shipbuilding in years!

Sad in a way but inevitable, otherwise we would all be driving round in Ford T's & similar.

The onward march of time I suppose...
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline CAP

« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2018, 04:18 PM »
An interestingly high number; did the article say how many older ones are being withdrawn between now and 2023 so that we can work out the net change to the fleet?

Some further detail on the expanding cruise sector and an answer to the above question.

With 106 new ships on the orderbook slated for delivery over the next 10 years, the net addition after ship withdrawals is expected to be 86 ships, for a 22 percent increase in the fleet.

With more larger ships, the annual industry passenger capacity will grow from an estimated 26.7 million passengers this year to 39.6 million by 2027, for a 48 percent increase over 10 years.

In revenue terms (based upon current ticket prices and onboard spend) 2018 is estimated at $47 billion dollars rising to $59 billion by 2027!

The hardest worked ship of all time ?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 20
Views: 6684
Last post Feb 16, 2015, 06:42 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Her Majesty's Ship Sheffield,..........A Fitter's tale.

Started by Ron BaxterBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 1368
Last post Aug 01, 2016, 01:17 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
someone know this ship and her story?

Started by luzparisBoard Ships

Replies: 10
Views: 2158
Last post Jan 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
by Bob C.
Are cruise ships still safe?

Started by Louis De SousaBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 4
Views: 1544
Last post Mar 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
by Twynkle
Mauretania Restaurant menus July 2008 (mini cruise)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 23
Views: 3543
Last post Oct 19, 2021, 02:31 AM
by June Ingram