Author Topic: What distance did QE2 take to stop.  (Read 3226 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
What distance did QE2 take to stop.
« on: Feb 11, 2018, 12:11 PM »
In last week's Channel 5 TV programme, they said that QE2 needed 45 miles to stop.

Whats the correct figures for (a) before the re-engining and (b) after?

Thanks.

- Rob
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: What distance did QE2 take to stop.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:58 PM »
The quoted 45 miles, presumably, is a normal gradual stop rather than an emergency "crash stop"?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2018, 05:34 PM »
The quoted 45 miles, presumably, is a normal gradual stop rather than an emergency "crash stop"?

And certainly not post re-engining from what I've heard and seen! Definitely the steam era if at all.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I remember once when we were arriving into an American port, can't remember which one, but it was in the era when USCG Officers boarded to 'supervise' entry, the USCG Officer on the bridge was so slow in gaining entry authorisation, despite the Captain [I McN] pressing him for an answer and constantly telling him that we were fast approaching the point of 'no return', when we would have to go around again. Finally he gave the 'go' but by then it was too late and we had to go around the entry circuit again adding about another half hour to our arrival time!  Que angry passengers, angry USCG, and an even angrier - a very, very rare event - Captain!

As Captain McN said in the programme she was good at what she was designed for, leave Southampton/New York and point her in the right direction, then head down at 27/28 knots and 'fly' across the Atlantic.
What she was NOT good at was slow speed turning or maneuvering.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:22 AM »
QE2 might coast to a stop in 45 miles but I think even that would be a stretch.  When I was the navigator of an aircraft carrier we would occasionally do emergency stop drills.  I don't recall the exact distance it took our 90K tons to stop from flank speed to dead-in-the-water (DIW) but it was less than certainly four miles.  I think QE2 would be close to that figure. 

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:06 AM »

Watching it again, and knowing Nick Bates and his N/I accent, i think he actually said " 4 TO 5 miles"!

Say that with an Northern Irish accent and you'll see what i mean.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:56 AM »
From what I've heard, only supertankers (VLCCs for example) take anywhere like 45 miles to stop if they coast.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Watching it again, and knowing Nick Bates and his N/I accent, i think he actually said " 4 TO 5 miles"!

Say that with an Northern Irish accent and you'll see what i mean.

Great chap, remember his humour and anecdotes on QM2 shortly before he retired. My Dad recorded some of his noon-day stories and he has a book of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinch-Salt-Captain-Bates-2005-12-15/dp/B01N2GDUM2/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518521731&sr=1-3&keywords=nick+bates
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 11:35 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Great chap, remember his humour and anecdotes on QM2 shortly before he retired. My Dad recorded some of his noon-day stories and he has a book of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinch-Salt-Captain-Bates-2005-12-15/dp/B01N2GDUM2/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518521731&sr=1-3&keywords=nick+bates

He certainly had the place laughing during his presentation at the Conference last year anyway!!

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:03 PM »
I have asked Nick Bates if he could clarify what he said about the distance to stop QE2 and this is his response:

I did say 45 miles to stop and this was the distance - time 2 hours that the engineers required to slow down the turbines to allow for safe and controlled cooling of the various bits and pieces.
In an emergency the ship could stop in about 1 1/2 miles but in doing so would most likely cause some serious damage to the turbines. Thankfully I never had do test this.

When she converted to DE things were much easier and could probably come to a stop on under 1 mile.
Hope this answers the various questions.

Happy if anyone needs more clarifications

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:13 PM »
I do have any question about the emergency stop, how was it executed? Was it just putting everything into reverse and hoping for the best(really simplified off course), ore was there a little bit more to it?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I had asked a question in relation to speed and time to stop which Captain Bates responded:

the general rule was if the ship was travelling at 28.5 knots the engineers liked 2 hours to bring the engines to manoeuvring speed from which she could be stopped at will.
2 hours slowing down equated to about 45 miles.
All these figures could vary depending on who the engineer on watch was. This made it interesting trying to calculate exact arrival times

Bob,  I will ask Captain Bates your question but will probably wait to see if there are any other questions. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:05 PM »
There is something somewhere about QE2's trials, where she had to slow down and go into reverse.  It seems to me it was an incredibly short amount of time from going full ahead to full astern.  Can anyone find that reference ?   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Chris Thompson

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Referring to Peter Moxom's book 'Driving the Hotel' there is no distance given for shutting down power and coasting to a standstill. From 32.6 Knots (38 mph) a crash stop, reversing pitch on the propellers at full power brought the ship to a standstill in 3 minutes and 28 seconds, 3/4 of a mile. In true Moxom style he makes the point that if you are travelling at 32 knots and there is a rock 600 feet ahead, you will stop in 600 feet!!!!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:40 PM »
In true Moxom style he makes the point that if you are travelling at 32 knots and there is a rock 600 feet ahead, you will stop in 600 feet!!!! 
I believe he also added it does not make you a  little boulder...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!