Author Topic: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship  (Read 26849 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Channel 5 Documentary: QE2 -The World's greatest cruise ship
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:15 PM »
Thanks, Roy !!   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Thanks, Roy !!   :)

If not you can try a VPN to spoof your location to be in the UK as these catch up services (for example) are often region or country locked.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

kevinh

« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:54 PM »
I have Fios back at my place. Any idea on how I can access this?

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:56 PM »
I have Fios back at my place. Any idea on how I can access this?

You could try a VPN (when the programme is available on the Channel 5 catch-up service next week) and set your location to the UK and it might work. There are several free VPNs out there for different devices.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:36 PM »
A Channel 5 assistant sent this "TX Card" for the programme. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

kevinh

« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2018, 03:53 PM »
A Channel 5 assistant sent this "TX Card" for the programme. 

Wonderful: looking forward to when it gets here! You bet I'll be watching. ;)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Wonderful: looking forward to when it gets here! You bet I'll be watching. ;)

Kevin, it seemed like a good idea at the time to take part in the filming.  QE2 has been very much part of my life, as I lived in Clydebank at the time the ship was being built and I later sailed on her many times.  But the thought of seeing myself on TV and how the producer can be very selective over what is in the programme scares me a bit.  As long as the programme does QE2 credit that is all that matters. 

Other QE2 Story members were also filmed, Cunarder Man, George C Griffiths, QE2 Whistle (Alan and Shona) SusieD to name a few, plus there was filming done at the conference so I am hoping some of that footage is included. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

kevinh

« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Kevin, it seemed like a good idea at the time to take part in the filming.  QE2 has been very much part of my life, as I lived in Clydebank at the time the ship was being built and I later sailed on her many times.  But the thought of seeing myself on TV and how the producer can be very selective over what is in the programme scares me a bit.  As long as the programme does QE2 credit that is all that matters. 

Other QE2 Story members were also filmed, Cunarder Man, George C Griffiths, QE2 Whistle (Alan and Shona) SusieD to name a few, plus there was filming done at the conference so I am hoping some of that footage is included.

Don't worry: I'm sure you'll be fine (much more fine compared to me in my math quiz anyway...).

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:45 PM »
But the thought of seeing myself on TV

Don't be scared... I've been on TV at least three times* myself, plus I'm in an online video about recycling which is on our local council's website and take it from me: you'll be fine.

*Four times if I'm in the background in any of the pictures on the documentary next week!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:54 PM »
   But the thought of seeing myself on TV and how the producer can be very selective over what is in the programme scares me a bit.  As long as the programme does QE2 credit that is all that matters.     
Oh dont be scared , as you say as long as QE2 comes out of it ok.... and if she doesnt well,  can we blame you  ;) ;)

But l think we all agree it should be an interesting programme. It does make you wonder from what angle they will be looking at QE2 from..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

kevinh

« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:53 AM »
Don't be scared... I've been on TV at least three times* myself, plus I'm in an online video about recycling which is on our local council's website and take it from me: you'll be fine.

*Four times if I'm in the background in any of the pictures on the documentary next week!

I've also been on TV 3 times; first time when I was at a winter carnival. Second and third times at the Walk for Breast Cancer with my school. It was awesome.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:41 AM »

But l think we all agree it should be an interesting programme. It does make you wonder from what angle they will be looking at QE2 from..

I think the first programme will be about the ship in Clydebank.  My connection to Clydebank is probably why I am in the first programme. I lived in Clydebank at the time the ship was being built.  My Dad worked in John Brown's - see John Brown's shipyard - in with the bricks topic   where I wrote his story.  I stood on the decks of QE2 days after she was launched and saw around the ship before she left Clydebank. 

Andy Robbins when interviewing me asked about the strikes and pilfering, at the time when the ship was being built, which I did not have any knowledge.  I was aware of strikes, but that was a sign of the times. On the pilfering I have always stated that I disagree that it was the ordinary worker who was doing this and agree with Hugh Morrison, who on another topic said that this was organised crime. It will be interesting to see how the programme producers handle this topic.  I told them they should speak to Hugh Morrison plus Ian Johnston, shipyard author and historian, who very clearly stated in his book that the increase in pilfering near the end of the completion of the ship was down to contract workers being used and lack of security etc.  but that is another story.

I am looking forward to seeing the programme.  There was many people interviewed as a result of Channel 5 getting contact details from The QE2 Story, so they would have had a wealth of material to work with to generate an interesting QE2 programme. 

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Once I manage to psyche myself up to watch it, I'm expecting to be annoyed at bits of it, and to enjoy bits of it, but to overall be glad it was made.  I do think they'll leave some of the conference filming in - they spent 2 days in Glasgow to do it after all - but I do hope they cut-out the only brief interview they asked me for, on board the boat trip where I had to speak out of sequence (in future tense for something that had just happened) - it was all very odd!

Fingers are crossed!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Today's the day!

Not every day that a QE2 programme goes live on a main terrestrial channel, that our members have helped with, and that filmed at our conference!

Everyone excited?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Today's the day!

Not every day that a QE2 programme goes live on a main terrestrial channel, that our members have helped with, and that filmed at our conference!

Everyone excited?

Mega excited. I am looking forward to seeing QE2 Story people and our connections that were interviewed.   I hope the programme does QE2 justice.

I am resigned to the fact that the producers have went along the line of the strikes and pilfering at the time the ship was built, which is unfortunate, as without researching the finer details a documentary could not cover this aspect of the industrial unrest in the 1960's.

But the Clydebank shipyard built a magnificent liner and that cannot be denied.