Author Topic: Negative Opinions of QM2.  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Michael Gallagher

Re: Negative Opinions of QM2.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:14 PM »
I was lucky enough to do 20 odd crossings on QM2 and have to see in her early years I used to be very impressed the way she'd handle any weather - sat in the Commodore Club and you'd think the ship was still berthed at Southampton while outside was a Force 12. But in later years I'd go back to the days on QE2 when her movement would actually make me feel ill in certain weather as QM2 wasn't sailing the speeds she should so she would wallow.

Gone are the days of the exciting dash and adventure to New York. Nowadays you're sat in the Chart Room thinking you could walk quicker to New York!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2017, 06:47 PM »
Iv never sailed on QM2, but have done a couple of preview tours and the Princes Trust lunch. My own thoughts shes to big and l have neither the wish nor desire to sail on her. l did think the lunch portions seemed on the small side compared to QE2. i did however like the Queens Room.   

Portion sizes seem to have got smaller over the years from memory, probably thanks to the bean counters. I do know that the number of different menus has been reduced (even on QM2) and the variety of food on each of those menus is less among a few other things that have changed and not for the better since 2008 (also on QM2).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:51 AM »
To answer the original question, QM2 has some unusual features with the location of some of the restaurant and rooms - I mentioned these in a reply to Michael's post regarding supplementary charge restaurants.

When we knew our time on QE2 was coming to an end, we were glad when QV came along because we felt QM2 was too big (mainly in terms of passenger capacity putting us off).
However, having travelled on QM2, it becomes apparent that the passenger capacity is in proportion to her ability to accommodate them and she is not cramped or over-populated.
Her larger dimensions mean her main corridors are much wider than expected and this gives her more of a spacious land-locked hotel feel.
Her Chart Room bar is a fantastic space akin to a country house hotel.
The Planetarium is also a neat feature (if all of the seats worked properly) and I have experienced some great films in there.

QM2 is a nice ship - not my favourite and not a patch on you-know-who!

I love QM2 - and agree with your comments above.  She is very big indeed, and the things I dislike about her are - she's downright ugly from some angles.  For a huge amount of your time on board YOU CAN'T SEE THE SEA!  On QE2 as you wandered around the public rooms, the Sea view was almost always there somewhere.  And balconies.  Yes we all love them.  But because QE2 didn't have them, everyone went up on deck and met each other - that's why so many people here made friends on board her.  To me QM2 is much more like a luxury hotel at sea, whereas QE2 was actually a ship first and foremost.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:10 PM »
I love QM2 - and agree with your comments above.  She is very big indeed, and the things I dislike about her are - she's downright ugly from some angles.  For a huge amount of your time on board YOU CAN'T SEE THE SEA!  On QE2 as you wandered around the public rooms, the Sea view was almost always there somewhere.  And balconies.  Yes we all love them.  But because QE2 didn't have them, everyone went up on deck and met each other - that's why so many people here made friends on board her.  To me QM2 is much more like a luxury hotel at sea, whereas QE2 was actually a ship first and foremost.
I can agree to this, with the way QM2 is layed out you have a hard time running into the same people twice; I highly doubt I would have met my Wife had we been on QM2 at the time, despite the extra space she boasts over QE2 she can make you feel isolated at times.
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2017, 04:35 PM »
To me she's a fantastic ship, I love her interiors and cabins - especially since the 2016 refit.

I personally appreciate her large size. She's never crowded even when fully-booked thanks to her high passenger/space ratio.

Having sailed through hurricane Sandy on her in 2012 I was amazed by her incredible power and excellent sea-keeping qualities. I wouldn't have wanted to be on any other ship at the time.

On the negative side, I noticed some changes since I first sailed on her maiden transatlantic in 2004.

One of these is the quality of service in certain areas. Last August, I have to admit we didn't enjoy the service at the Britannia at all.

Despite the food being excellent, our tandem of waiters was exceptionally unfriendly, unsimiling and even rough (when they were there!) and the waiting time between dishes was extremely long.

Additionally, most waiters and their above hierarchy only had eyes for some sort of loud Russian king or whatever Nabab was dining nearby at a single table beside the string quartet. Despite being dressed in holy jeans on formal evenings, the guy was monopolising the restaurant personnel with constant special requests which surprisingly he was always successful in obtaining quickly.

We finally deserted the Britannia and preferred the remastered King's Court and Verandah for the rest of our cruise.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2017, 05:05 PM by QE2forever »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:28 PM »
We have booked 2 weeks on her in Feb/Mar next year round New Zealand, as I get older my bulk shrinks  & have invested in a new dinner suit
 I would hate it if some jerk like that was taking the **** out of me trying to keep up the heritage, never ever had anything like that when I was visiting QE2, then again times were obviously different, money talks but some money talks louder methinks.
 Come to think of it we did once come across a loudmouth on Sea Princess  (on our table), never went with them again (yes I know they are the same company)Cunard are supposed to be that 'bit above' though :-X :-X

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2017, 03:10 AM »
From everything that I have heard about the QM2, I don't hate her, but I don't love her either.
When the day comes when I see her in person in a port, I most likely would be happy to see her. But it wouldn't be the same reaction as to when I see the QE2 in person someday!

For me, I will have to wait until I take a voyage on her to see how she performs.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2017, 11:44 AM »
From everything that I have heard about the QM2, I don't hate her, but I don't love her either.
When the day comes when I see her in person in a port, I most likely would be happy to see her. But it wouldn't be the same reaction as to when I see the QE2 in person someday!

For me, I will have to wait until I take a voyage on her to see how she performs.

QM2 is very imposing and impressive, even over QE2 (due to being twice the volume roughly).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2017, 01:02 PM »
We have booked 2 weeks on her in Feb/Mar next year round New Zealand, as I get older my bulk shrinks  & have invested in a new dinner suit
 I would hate it if some jerk like that was taking the **** out of me trying to keep up the heritage, never ever had anything like that when I was visiting QE2, then again times were obviously different, money talks but some money talks louder methinks.
 Come to think of it we did once come across a loudmouth on Sea Princess  (on our table), never went with them again (yes I know they are the same company)Cunard are supposed to be that 'bit above' though :-X :-X

A very loose connection through Carnival, but at opposite ends of the 'class' scale. If i remember rightly, Sea Princess is one of the permanent 'Aussie' based ships, so only one 'loudmouth' would have been excellent!

I spent 3 years working for P&O Australia so am perfectly qualified to comment on Aussie passengers, some very nice but some........well!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2017, 02:14 PM »
   Andy,     Unfortunately at the time she was Southampton based doing Med runs, the loudmouth  was Essex type, hey ho,   on our return on Bay of Biscay, there were numerous  arty farty types on board doing some cheap redecorating, because once back in S'oton,  she was going to be rededicated into the P&O fleet by Joanna Lumley apparently, good excuse to be getting off in my opinion  ;D

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2017, 12:34 AM »
My negative views on the QM2 relate more to her interior design, than her hull form or engineering which is solid and conservative. (Hey, I would have liked to have seen her built by H&W but that was too much of a project risk let alone more costly).

As we know, as built, the QE2 was up to the second and far as 1960's interior design and maritime engineering was concerned (did the designers of the Pametrada turbines and Foster Wheeler boilers of the QE2 fully understand how far they were pushing things). She made every ship since 1950 old fashioned, bar the Canberra/Oriana.

Carnival had the chance with the QM2 to make her a statement in early 21st century design by hiring the best UK interior designers and making something really special. But, instead played safe by commissioning Tilberg to execute a 1930's Art Deco revival interior.  I understand why Carnival went the way they did, as most passengers are after that "grand 1930's experience" and under that criteria, the QM2 delivers by the truck load.

In many ways she's a "boring" ship. But that's me as a bit of a ship geek talking.

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2017, 01:53 AM by Greg Rudd »

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2017, 12:41 AM »
A very loose connection through Carnival, but at opposite ends of the 'class' scale. If i remember rightly, Sea Princess is one of the permanent 'Aussie' based ships, so only one 'loudmouth' would have been excellent!

I spent 3 years working for P&O Australia so am perfectly qualified to comment on Aussie passengers, some very nice but some........well!

I will call it out for you as an Aussie. You mean: "Load mouthed Bogans" ;-) lol

https://thingsboganslike.com/2011/08/01/240-cruise-ships/
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2017, 02:41 AM by Greg Rudd »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2021, 05:21 AM »
Just been looking up QM2 a bit in order to confirm a fact or two on her, and have come across a rather contradictory post on Cruise Critic from a poster who seems to have a bit of an axe to grind with the "Cunard faithful" (unfortunately a bit of a thing in shipping circles it seems, even in Zoom calls amongst shipping enthusiasts sadly but I digress)…

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2660261-rms-queen-mary-2/?do=findComment&comment=57405529

Surely the definition of an ocean liner has everything to do with design and not itinerary? Form following function as another poster on the Cruise Critic thread mentions?

Why would the cruise ships have be more careful on winter transatlantic crossings, for example, if design requirements didn't matter after all? It isn't just about passenger comfort is it?

Why would Carnival have spent significant sums more on QM2 and her ocean liner features if they could've built a cruise ship instead? - as they had originally intended for the transatlantic until Stephen Payne and his team strongly suggested otherwise if I recall correctly.

QM2's flat underside for a lot of her length doesn't make her any less an ocean liner does it?

Furthermore the following images disprove the poster's story regarding her Skeg (although from experience QM2 still yaws noticeably at times):

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/therealhobgoblin/QM2/PICT0023.jpg   (taken before her first sea trials judging by the status of hull and superstructure painting)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5190/5684830162_bd66f60116.jpg   (taken on her first set of sea trials)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:36 AM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2021, 11:12 AM »
The main thing about an ocean liner is it's designed to go from A to B mostly, rather than A to B to A.

To facilitate that on the Atlantic Queen Mary has a completely unique and very expensive design.  No other cruise ship could do regular transatlantics whatever the weather, and no other has done anything like as many as Mary has.

There's no debate to be had here. She's unique and very specifically and specially designed.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Pete Dally

« Reply #29 on: Jun 29, 2021, 06:19 AM »
We sailed Australia on Qm2 for my sons 18th birthday...the cabin steward was amazing..but the waiters and waitresses were extremely sullen and not friendly at all. Didn't matter where we ate the crew were terrible.
The service we gave on QE2 was top notch and 5 star plus..the new crews are terrible..not all obviously.
They were even worse on the new Queen Elizabeth...sad to say I won't be sailing on them again.
Working on QE2 gave me a love for cruising and have done many around the pacific..Cunard just don't cut the mustard anymore which is a shame.