Author Topic: Travelling with Bruce - Watching QE2 arrive in Cagliari  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Twynkle

QE2 50th Anniversary Celebration aboard Cunard's MV. Queen Elizabeth - posted September 2017
Thank you, Bruce!
(Just mention there is something not quite correct about 'oil'!)
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018, 05:55 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Excellent photos, particularly of her sheer (bow and stern), but major inaccuracies and blatantly wrong comments during his narration (some things he could have researched further perhaps?).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Final call to Cagliari
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2017, 03:12 PM »
Could you please help me and date her final call to Cagliari? Apologies, I cannot consult my 2008 schedule at present...

I did not frankly enjoy his comments, but it was interesting all the same why he thought that QE2's time had definitely come : she needed tugs to manoeuvre, she did not have enough balcony cabins, she could not accommodate sufficient passengers and crew. To him, she was grand, but belonging to a bygone era. A historic ship.

Were you on board for this final call to Cagliari?

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2017, 03:27 PM »
Final call: 31 October 2008

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Isabelle
My apologies that this is a little off topic - however, trying to find the itinerary that included her call at Cagliari,
I came upon this and found your report here, it is wonderful, and sounds as if it would have been the trip of a lifetime. Thank You.
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5321.0.html
It will certainly bring back a few good memories, and the sailing was just before what must have been the Final Voyage through the Mediterranean ( for example: 3.11.2008 - Final call at Dubrovnik) and Cagliari.

Rob - Thinking back to her Final Calls in the Med,
from your timeline of 2008, it looks as if it might need a few additions?
CAP will know!
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2017, 05:34 PM by Twynkle »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Isabelle
My apologies that this is a little off topic - however, trying to find the itinerary including her call at Cagliari,
I came upon this and thought
that your report here is wonderful - it sounds as if it would have been the trip of a lifetime. Thank You.
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5321.0.html
It will certainly bring back a few good memories, and the sailing was just before what must have been the Final Voyage through the Mediterranean ( for example: 3.11.2008 Final call at Dubrovnik) and Cagliari.

Rob - Thinking back to her Final Calls in the Med,
from your timeline of 2008, it looks as if it might need a few additions?
CAP will know!

Rosie, this website run by Sam Warwick (Ron's son and Bil's grandson) has mostly accurate records of itineries since 1996:

http://www.qe2.org.uk/itinerary.html

Thomas
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2017, 07:32 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Travelling with Bruce - Seeing QE2 one last time.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:42 PM »
This is a great wee video, and commentary.  Although he's not a QE2 expert, he doesn't really say anything incorrect and he realised how significant it was to see her.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Re: Travelling with Bruce - Seeing QE2 one last time.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:45 PM »
This is a great wee video, and commentary.  Although he's not a QE2 expert, he doesn't really say anything incorrect and he realised how significant it was to see her.

I believe this video was linked to in a new topic of it's own a couple/few months ago that was commented on by several forum members. He makes several incorrect statements partly due to lack of research, but took some excellent photos.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018, 05:52 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:59 PM »
I believe this video was linked to in a new topic of it's own a couple/few months ago that was commented on by several forum members. He makes several incorrect statements partly due to lack of research, but took some excellent photos.

Thanks for helping me link it to the first topic Thomas.

Although he gets some facts wrong, the gist of what he says is bang-on.  He realised something that many cruise fans did not at the time - that she was the last of her kind, and seeing her was a moment to be treasured.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Thanks for helping me link it to the first topic Thomas.

Although he gets some facts wrong, the gist of what he says is bang-on.  He realised something that many cruise fans did not at the time - that she was the last of her kind, and seeing her was a moment to be treasured.

Yes I agree he recognised her significance and impending retirement, the main things to take away.

Tourists Travelling on Cargo Ships or Mail Boats

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 30
Views: 13969
Last post Jan 02, 2021, 04:03 AM
by Boris
Animals travelling Cunard

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Cunard

Replies: 17
Views: 6502
Last post Jun 06, 2018, 09:58 AM
by Willum