Author Topic: A- Stairway Art (original to the ship)  (Read 10233 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: A- Stairway Art (original to the ship)
« Reply #15 on: Jul 07, 2010, 09:00 PM »
Hi Richard - Well found!
John Piper has always had a strong following.
His stained glass is superb.
Have you seen his pen and ink drawings?
One of his 'given' names is 'Christmas' -
perhaps that's one of the reasons that his work is often found in cathedrals!!
Rosie

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2018, 02:32 AM »
My favorite artwork aboard QE2. I wish I could be able to have a small scale copy of "The Sea"
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2018, 07:49 AM »
My favorite artwork aboard QE2. I wish I could be able to have a small scale copy of "The Sea"

Wouldn't it be lovely if one of us was able to go and view the original in St Andrew's Church in Wolverhampton... worth a detour for someone travelling within the UK?

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Personally, i always thought that some of the artwork on 'A' Stairway was hideous and had been deliberately put there to frighten children away and prevent them from going anywhere near '1st Class'/Queen's Grill!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: A- Stairway Art
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2020, 12:08 PM »
....Finally, on the Boat Deck landing, near the Britannia figurehead and the entrance to the Queen's Grill, the large and beautiful 7-piece panel called "The Sea" -- actually the half-size cartoon for window panels in St Andrew's Church, Wolverhampton, by John Piper (1959) :

If I remember Bruce Peter's opinion well, he thought that this panel was the best piece of original art on the QE2.

I wonder whether anyone knows St Andrew's church in Wolverhampton -- does it have the full-size version of this picture?

indeed it does!  It looks STUNNING

Have a look here - https://www.warwickartscentre.co.uk/news/2018/05/john-piper-exhibition-john-piper-in-the-west-midlands-part-1-/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Andrew's_Church,_Wolverhampton
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2020, 12:28 PM »
What a beauty! Thank you for the link. Have you been there, Rob?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2020, 12:38 PM »
What a beauty! Thank you for the link. Have you been there, Rob?

No!  I didn't know it existed until just now. It looks truly stunning, I'd love to see it.  It sounds like they know its an important artwork but the church, like many in the UK now, sounds like its used much less than it used to be, and is a fairly brutalist/concrete style, so hopefully it will survive...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2021, 04:48 PM »
My favourite stairway onboard to this day, with several happy and otherwise vivid memories to go with it...
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2021, 08:45 AM »
Moderator note!  We have another another topic about the A stairway generally, this topic was to discuss the artwork specifically.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Mar 10, 2021, 09:08 AM »
Moderator note!  We have another another topic about the A stairway generally, this topic was to discuss the artwork specifically.

....and conversation on stairway A not pertaining to the artwork can continue on the general "A Stairway" topic
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=2297.0

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

« Reply #25 on: Mar 10, 2021, 01:18 PM »
My favourite stairway onboard to this day, with several happy and otherwise vivid memories to go with it...

Yes, I suppose we need to count the Britannia statue as an artwork on A Stairway, but in my memory it was my least favourite piece of art in the whole ship...

Still, I suppose I would have missed it if on my last voyage it had suddenly disappeared. It somehow seemed to live there...