Author Topic: Groove to the New QE2  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Stowaway2k

Groove to the New QE2
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:46 AM »
put together just for fun...   a video slideshow of QE2 in her early days.
with an error or two but what the heck, I slapped it together for kicks, not the BBC...

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8545195hTFwJ43N

Offline Andy F

Re: Groove to the New QE2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:51 AM »
Happy memories.  Thanks for sharing
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:50 PM »
I love it. Thank you.
Im free...

Offline Waverley

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:08 PM »
Great work. I enjoyed it very much. Liked the music

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:33 AM »
Love the early photos which show how she was marketed to appeal to young people.  Music is good as well.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Love the early photos which show how she was marketed to appeal to young people.  Music is good as well.

Good point Lynda.  What a stark difference to how the new QE is marketed and illustrates now vastly different the cruising demograhic is now.... or is it in reality?  We all know that QE2 attracted her share of movie stars and the like, but was the typical passenger demographic much different back then as it is now?  Certainly, no one can call the new ship "groovy" or trend setting with the retro interiors.  To me, this just illustrates why QE2 is so unique!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Bob C.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2011, 12:33 PM »
I'll submit that the demographic changed over the years.  QE2 advertising targeted the younger "space age" folks (my era) back then bit looking at her later years, she took on the luxury cruising character.  Gone were the bright colors, plastic and space-age modern decor and in came updated Titanic-esque excess; some good and some just OK in my humble opinion. She kept her name and kept up with the changing culture which is why she is so successful as a maritime icon.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2011, 02:22 PM »
I noticed that when you look back over early brochures there was certainly a younger crowd, and then in much later years there appeared to be the more mature passengers. As one of the younger set ;) l never had a problem fitting in and quite enjoyed meeting the many and various people. What l did find was that in my early years of travelling  peopel assumed my parents were else where on the ship and were somewhat surprised that l should be such a ship by myself, and why on earth was l only going all that way for a trip ashore in NY . Must admit l never gave the ages of the people l met any thought, they were all nice genuine people and all out to enjoy the QE2 and what she had to offer.

On the Maiden voyage after the refit in 1987 friends were asked to take part in the promotional footage, he was filmed making a phone call and as he said the phone was unplugged and he just pressed a few random numbers and spoke to himself. His wife later asked why they had picked him and she was told because he looks like a typical QE2 passenger, blazer & silver hair...she was lost for words :D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2022, 10:30 AM »
put together just for fun...   a video slideshow of QE2 in her early days.
with an error or two but what the heck, I slapped it together for kicks, not the BBC...

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8545195hTFwJ43N

Wow I so enjoyed watching this video "Groove to the new QE2" again this morning.  Very clever how the brochure and marketing pictures have been compiled and set to 60's/70's music.  A bit grainy, but this adds to the atmosphere!

Take time and enjoy ten minutes of early QE2 - "Those were the days my friend, we thought they would never end" - but we can enjoy the memories!  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Rod

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2022, 10:37 PM »
Very interesting.
I noticed in one room that there appeared to be a hanging lamp???? Also one of the rooms had an office style phone in it.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2022, 10:18 AM »
From a  post some 13 years ago, we can never tire of watching this, can we?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2022, 10:32 AM »
From a  post some 13 years ago, we can never tire of watching this, can we?

I agree! But then again I never tire of anything QE2

Very interesting.
I noticed in one room that there appeared to be a hanging lamp???? Also one of the rooms had an office style phone in it.

You have good observations skills, Rod - I must have another look at the video.

Offline Mike Mason (Mick)

« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2023, 11:54 PM »
Thanks for your great compilation, having served on her during that era it brought the memories flooding back. :) :) :)