Author Topic: V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style  (Read 9141 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style
« Reply #45 on: Oct 13, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Titanic was also in evidence in a number of areas, which was of interest.

The piece of wood that had been found floating after the disaster was poignant, and the way it was lit to look like it was floating on the surface of the dark ocean was clever, as too was the way they showed you where it had come from in the interior.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Oct 13, 2018, 12:41 PM »
This was one thing I thought was very clever.

I think there's only black and white photos of the epic Aquitania, but here we have an original artwork design for the carpet in Aquitania's first class lounge, together with the black and white photo.  With your imagination, you can think of what it was like to walk on this stunning carpet, in that amazing room, 100 years ago.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #47 on: Oct 13, 2018, 01:11 PM »
The piece of wood that had been found floating after the disaster was poignant, and the way it was lit to look like it was floating on the surface of the dark ocean was clever, as too was the way they showed you where it had come from in the interior.

You must mean this piece?

"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #48 on: Oct 13, 2018, 01:13 PM »
Seen in the attached photo, QE2 starts to appear across the wonderful ocean wall.

Which is the three stacker that alternates with QE2?

"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #49 on: Oct 13, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Which is the three stacker that alternates with QE2?

The fabulous Normandie, the contents of which kept me enthralled throughout the exhibition!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #50 on: Oct 13, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Ah... I knew it was familiar; just couldn't quite place all the details on it...

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #51 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:37 AM »
I was really happy to have been invited to the V&A Dundee Postcode Lottery Event to celebrate the end of the Speed and Style Exhibition.  The organisers had specifically invited people with a connection to building QE2, my Dad working in John Brown's shipyard being my connection. 

This was my third visit to the V&A Dundee and second visit to the Ocean Liners exhibition. Sparkling wine and canapés were served prior to a speech by Fiona Phillips, TV Presenter and a representative from V&A Dundee thanking the Post Code Lottery organisation for funding the exhibition. This was followed by Brian Whittingham reading a few of his poems from his book Bunnets and Bowlers.

We then had the opportunity to view the exhibition in groups of 20, accompanied by a guide.  However our guide soon lost her group,  as people gravitated to areas they particularly wanted to see. 

I had visited the exhibition in October and was keen to look at some of the exhibits that had impressed me during that visit, especially the room that housed some nice Art Deco and 1950's style exhibits . It was fantastic to see again, the Les Sports panel that had been rescued from the Normandy.

I particularly enjoyed taking time to look at the video of the original QE2 interior especially the Double up Double Down Room and to see an original Robert  Heritage chair from the Britannia Restaurant.  It was also good to see again the on deck and evening dress section. 

There are so many exhibits at the exhibition but there was not enough time to view in detail, in the time that was allocated.  For anyone who had not visited the exhibition before they would only be getting a quick overview, but better to get a quick overview than not to see the exhibition at all.

I was glad that I had purchased the book as when the exhibition closes on 24 February the exhibits will be returned to the donors and the only record will be in our memories and the descriptions in the book.

It was a different experience being at the V&A Dundee in the evening when the cafe and bookshop area was empty (see picture) and it was good to have the opportunity to speak to people at the event, who had a link to building the QE2. All in all an enjoyable experience  and as I like Dundee I would be happy to visit the V&A again for future exhibitions. 

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2019, 10:38 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Thank you very much, Lynda, for your commentary and photo about the Ocean Liner evening.  It sounds like it was a wonderful evening !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #53 on: Sep 16, 2023, 02:22 PM »
To follow up from Lynda's post from February 2019, here's the video of that event - featuring Lynda & Tom themselves !