Author Topic: RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 by Dr Stephen M Payne RDI ("Haynes Manual")  (Read 9175 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Interestingly, when I do a Google search of just QE2, the first four entries are for Cunard's Queen Elizabeth cruises !!   ::)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Roy Warrender

Hi and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all
Just done a search for QE2 on Duck Duck happy to say the first hit was QE2 Story, bit worried about the second headlined QE2 to SAIL  AGAIN
after I checked the date it was a report dated 2013

Offline Twynkle

Hi Rob,
About the error, mentioned above - Was the interview with Stephen Payne only published online?
Curiously - the error photograph with an interview doesn't seem to be in my copy of the book...?
Rosie

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Hi Rob,
About the error, mentioned above - Was the interview with Stephen Payne only published online?
Curiously - the error photograph with an interview doesn't seem to be in my copy of the book...?
Rosie

Yes, it's only online. It's to promote the book.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
There is something wrapped up for me for my imminent birthday which is the shape, size and weight of a typical non-car Haynes Manual....   :)

I will report back later this week as to whether it is or is not, but I am 99.999999999999999999999etc% certain it is.  :D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Sounds exciting !   :D

Offline MiamiCunarder

By chance, I ran into Steve Payne, on QM2, on the December 8th eastbound out of NY. It was bitterly cold and I was one of just a few on the observation platform, braving the elements, for QM2's departure. I then noticed a group of women, giggling with excitement as they posed for pictures with a gentleman. I overheard them say "thank you Mr Payne" and I immediately shot my attention over to the assembled group and blurted out "Mr. Stephen Payne?" He smiled and acknowledged. I introduced myself and in the course of our brief chat, he asked me if I knew of his new book on QE2. I hadn't yet heard and appreciated him letting me know it would be out soon.

I then let the man be (he was with his mother), waiting for the ship's whistles to sound as she eased herself away from Red Hook. Finally they sounded, and to my surprise and total geeky delight, there was the ship's chief naval architect, looking at me, with a huge smile. I replied with a giant grin and two thumbs up. :D

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
By chance, I ran into Steve Payne, on QM2, on the December 8th eastbound out of NY. It was bitterly cold and I was one of just a few on the observation platform, braving the elements, for QM2's departure. I then noticed a group of women, giggling with excitement as they posed for pictures with a gentleman. I overheard them say "thank you Mr Payne" and I immediately shot my attention over to the assembled group and blurted out "Mr. Stephen Payne?" He smiled and acknowledged. I introduced myself and in the course of our brief chat, he asked me if I knew of his new book on QE2. I hadn't yet heard and appreciated him letting me know it would be out soon.

I then let the man be (he was with his mother), waiting for the ship's whistles to sound as she eased herself away from Red Hook. Finally they sounded, and to my surprise and total geeky delight, there was the ship's chief naval architect, looking at me, with a huge smile. I replied with a giant grin and two thumbs up. :D

What a fantastic moment for you!

We've a lot to thank Stephen for, not least for coming to our conference in September!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
There is something wrapped up for me for my imminent birthday which is the shape, size and weight of a typical non-car Haynes Manual....   :)

I will report back later this week as to whether it is or is not, but I am 99.999999999999999999999etc% certain it is.  :D

Well... today was unwrapping day and YES!!!  It is indeed what I thought it would be.  ;D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Happy Birthday ! and Happy Reading !   :)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Notification just came through that my manual has shipped !   ;D

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Would any of the happy new owners like to write a review (short or long) for us here in the Forum?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Just look at what has arrived !!   ;D ;D ;D

It is an awesome book, just had time to skim through a bit, but already, I have spotted some photos I have never seen before !

Offline pete cain

Enjoy June, at your leisure, it's only new  once  ;) , glad QE2 made a westerly transit safely

Offline Chris Thompson

Great book, saw lots of photos I had never seen before. On page 156 there is a picture of the senior officers meeting in what looks to be a split level room, anyone know where it was located???

Queen Victoria temporarily taken out of service

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 15
Views: 5138
Last post Oct 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
by CAP
Queen Anne’s Maiden Arrival Southampton 30 April 2024

Started by Cunarder ManBoard QE2's Successors

Replies: 3
Views: 304
Last post May 05, 2024, 06:00 AM
by Joann Scott
Queen Mary 2 - Service Speed

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 3
Views: 1849
Last post Feb 12, 2022, 11:11 AM
by Thomas Hypher
Old aerial photographs of Queen Mary

Started by Peter MugridgeBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 1
Views: 1028
Last post Apr 18, 2018, 11:35 AM
by Pete Hamill
Inside Queen Mary 2; Video Tours

Started by Stowaway2kBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 6
Views: 5545
Last post Mar 03, 2014, 01:37 PM
by Chris