Author Topic: RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 by Dr Stephen M Payne RDI ("Haynes Manual")  (Read 9360 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
I am very much looking forward to obtaining my copy !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I got my copy from Santa and opened it yesterday.  Its fantastic, and I've already seen lots of pics and info I've not seen before.

I know I sound like a broken record... but... he has added a note about the "RMS thing" in his intro, but I feel he has missed the point.   He misses the point that factually, she was never an RMS.  When referred to as such, it was incorrect.

I have added this wonderful book to our "QE2 Shop" - a small cut from each sale ordered there comes to forum funds, but it doesn't cost you any extra.

https://www.theqe2story.com/QE2Shop.php
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline pete cain

Got mine in the end, sneaky Santa gave it my wife without me knowing it had been found elsewhere, am limiting myself to 1/2doz pages a day,  sad or what :-\

Offline Pete Hamill

Having read Rob's comment about the book being added to the forum shop it finally gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get it ordered.

I ordered it at 11:45 on Thursday 29th December with Free delivery option between 4th and 6th January (I never pay for expedited delivery from Amazon - probably a Scottish thing) and the doorbell rang on Friday 30th December just after lunch time and it was here!

I find that Amazon's free delivery options usually arrive well before they say, but of course, that is OK if you just want something and don't mind when it arrives, but I've always been pleasantly surprised.

I guess its the "must have it for Christmas" that puts so much pressure on every part of the chain.

Having had it delivered so quickly, with work rotas, I haven't actually been able to read it yet, so that is also why I wasn't in a great hurry. Hopefully I'll get a chance shortly before heading out to work again later today.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Haynes have published an interview with the author here

https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/how-queen-elizabeth-2-was-designed-and-tested-rigours-sea

10 points if you can spot the obvious error on that page...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

https://haynes.com/en-gb/tips-tutorials/how-queen-elizabeth-2-was-designed-and-tested-rigours-sea

Rather a glaring error
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2017, 07:46 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Twynkle

Oh! That Is a No NO!
Subtract  10 points from the proof-reader, too

Speaking of "points" Rob, in CHAT - Upgrading "then and now"
Please! May we have extra Seating on TQS that is outside the Lido, on the Quarter Deck?
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2017, 08:10 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Oh dear...  :-X

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Can't believe they did that !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...

I took me, oh.... 2 seconds(!)  :o
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline skilly56

Haven't got home or received our copies yet, but I can see the insertion of an appropriate photo with a little glue stick adhesive will soon solve the problem! But, we shouldn't have to do that should we.

Skilly

Offline Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
Just ordered mine. $17.00 plus $3.00 shipping and here in a few days

Offline Pete Hamill

Must be missing something  :o

Offline skilly56

Pete,

The thing at the top of the page is 20,000 tonnes bigger than it should be!!!!

Skilly

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Having just seen a post on 'All Things Maritime' on F.B. where someone claims that QE2 is now called Queen Elizabeth and they have just been on a cruise on her I can believe anything!