Author Topic: Upgrades for Guests! Any comments?!  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Twynkle

Upgrades for Guests! Any comments?!
« on: Jul 21, 2009, 01:50 PM »
It happened -
just the once
from Deck 5 inside
to a Stateroom with a porthole on Deck 3.
Completely unexpected,
it was the first time aboard and
We could see Norway from our cabin
at midnight!
Magical.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2009, 01:52 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Chris

Re: Upgrades for Guests! Any comments?!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Our first QE2 cruise (1995) we were upgraded from Cabin 3009 (at that time a four berth Mauretania room) to 1022 / 1024 (with interconnecting door) after the toilet in 3009 broke down on the first day of the cruise.

It was absolutely spectacular to be in such magnificent accommodation.

I've also been upgraded aboard Enchantment of the Seas (RCI) and Queen Mary 2... guess I'm just lucky?

🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2009, 04:19 PM »
I was upgraded when I went - I had booked at Category XE (or something like that - the categories were different back then) - it was an inside single; when I got there they upgraded from 4104 to 4120 - still an inside cabin - but a double - it was a nice surprise!
Kathy

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2009, 04:33 PM »

I was upgrade from a Crew cabin to a Boat Deck Penthouse for one night back in November 1994.Does that count ? :)

Louis

Offline Andy F

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2009, 10:39 PM »
I live in hope   ;)
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2009, 10:22 AM »
Upgraded from a Q4 on the 2008 Autumn colours to the unique 8183 (the only Q3 with butler service)

Which followed an upgrade from 8183 to 8018 within 24 hours of a booking - and that was a a single!

And on the last Westbound, I was upgraded - I'd booked Caronia to get on One Deck - not wanting a Three Deck cabin - and was upgraded at the pier to 1059, which was the cabin I had booked for the final eastbound. QG single. Lovely cabin. So I didn't have to change cabins in New York!

And I have yet to not be upgraded on QM2.

Before that I normally picked my cabin (none of this "stateroom" nonsense) and marked it not for upgrade, but that was when we were booking Signal Deck 8001 and didn't want to be downstairs in a QS which would have been the obvious "upgrade". Too much of a risk to leave it open hoping for a Q1, as the QS wouldn't have suited us as well as a Q2.

Now with the current ships, and the identical cabins, it really makes little difference.
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2009, 10:51 AM »
The first time mother and I were on QE2, in 1992, our cabin was upgraded from an inside twin to an outside twin just across the corridor. There were then no other official upgrades until the World Cruise. We had booked Caronia Guarantees (C2 for my parents and C4 for Paul and I) because that was all that was available. We booked through the US because that was about 1/3 of the price of booking through a UK travel agent.

About three weeks before we were due to sail my parents' cabin allocation was shown on the Voyage Personaliser - the smallest C2 on the ship :( but there was nothing showing for Paul and myself. I checked our allocation again with about a week to go and there it was - we'd been upgraded to a Grill cabin. I checked and my parents had also been upgraded - we got three months eating in the Britannia Grill (my favourite of the Grills) after which we never looked at going back to Caronia again :)

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2009, 04:41 PM »
I was upgrade from a Crew cabin to a Boat Deck Penthouse for one night back in November 1994.Does that count ?

Louis

Louis thats got to be a record !!!

The only unofficial upgrade l had was on the Canadian crossing in August 1989
Having been in the XE grade  4229 for the outward and Canada cruise l was told l was changing cabins and ended up with this little beauty 3154
some photos attached. I really enjoyed my new home for the homeward crossing. Celebrating my birthday onboard as well l discovered the joys of hosting cabin parties... 

And l was able to ask along my two waiters, By which time the drink supply was vastly reduced...

and of course at the offical party with some blasts from the past in the good old days :)

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016, 12:40 PM by Rob Lightbody »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline QE2_MATTHEW

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:25 PM »
You lot might hate me then. All 5 times on QE2 we have been upgraded.

The first TA Mauretania Deck 5, upto Coronia Deck 4.

Return TA the same Deck 4 cabin applied.

The next 3 cruises me and mum booked Coronia, and those 3 cruises we got upgraded into Princess Grill. Twice on Deck 1 and once on Deck 2)So the only two restaurants I havent eaten in are at either end of the grade scale.
Im free...

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:53 PM »
Throwback Topic

That magic word..Upgrade, any passenger or hotel guests likes to hear. Who has been upgraded  by the upgrade fairy ? how did lt happen, did you get any advance warning ?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2019, 10:09 PM »
We always booked single cabins and with a single exception always received double cabins within the same grade. Very spacious and welcome!

The one exception was when we tried Queens Grill and received our least memorable single cabins. We never tried Queens Grill again...

Offline pete cain

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Woe is me Myles, never ever got an upgrade , on anything , tips please (from an insider), well done you Isabelle..