Author Topic: Redevelopment plans for John Brown's shipyard site  (Read 3303 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Redevelopment plans for John Brown's shipyard site
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2021, 09:45 AM »
The last time I was on the River Clyde was 1966 or 67 rowing a 41/2 mile Head of the river race for my school.
We had to row through the massive oil slick that was occuring at the time. Smell was dreadful and the soap suds from the cleaning agents toxic.
Oh it was peeing down with rain as well !!

Big change to the River Clyde today, Rod but the only downside is that the shipbuilding industry and the skills have almost gone. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2021, 09:47 AM »
How very appropriate.

After working on ships, my Dad (and JBE itself) moved onto high efficiency powerplants (using gas turbines), creating energy as efficiently as possible,  He would approve of this.

I approve of this much more than just another large supermarket being plonked on the site (when Clydebank is already a sea of concrete, shops and car parks).

I agree Rob, this is a really innovative initiative and at a time when we should all be looking to reduce our carbon footprint it will be interesting to see future developments. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Rod

« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2021, 03:44 PM »
I remember when they started redoing Londons dock area.
My Father who was living in London at the time, working for Barclays International.
The developers were desperate to get tenants so they offered what they considered "move in specials"
Dad was not impressed!
To quote him: "One and a half million pounds  for a bloody one bedroom flat! Where all you can hear is the damn dogs at Battersea  Dogs Home.  Not bloody likely!"
This was late sixties.

Look at those areas now!
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2021, 03:47 PM by Rod »