Author Topic: Lachlan's model of QE2  (Read 66515 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Lachlan's model of QE2
« Reply #75 on: Oct 10, 2015, 10:37 AM »
Absolutely incredible Lachlan.  And all you shapes and angles look perfect.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #76 on: Oct 12, 2015, 06:03 PM »
there was a feature in a recent issue of Model Boats Magazine of Tim Hendersons Steam powered  1;200 scale model of the Cunard liner.. and a nice photo of the model, granted a basic model...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #77 on: Oct 28, 2015, 02:52 AM »
Thanks Rob and cunardqueen for your comments. Rob's comments are high praise indeed - there can be few people more familiar with QE2.

It always amazes me how people make such elaborate working models of all sorts of things such as the steam-powered QE2 model. It is enough of an exercise making a static model, but including motors and RC gear and making the whole thing water-proof must be another order of magnitude.

I am making the wheel-house and bridge at the moment. I'll post a pic when I have something to show.

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #78 on: Nov 06, 2015, 05:48 AM »
An update to show the bridge and wheel house roughed-in. Frame for superstructure aft of wheel house built. The lift housing built complete with vent and ladder on starboard side, forward hatch framed-up. It is not in the photo but I have started lining the crew access recess right at the prow, too.

Going to the mast - can anyone tell me what the structure just to the starboard side of the mast base was. There seems to be a kind of boxy shape that doesn't appear on the plans I have. 

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #79 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:03 AM »
Great progress, Lachlan!
The bridge looks great fitted to the rest of the model!
Can't wait to see the mast put into place!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #80 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:26 AM »
I should have said that I have found the places where the various additions to the accommodation meet give rise to some odd shapes which take some interpreting. There is an overhead photo of the ship lying next to a dry dock in Dubai which is very helpful. Our QE2 looks forlorn but at least the photo is useful.

Another question: what was on the outside deck of the accommodation suites that had verandas? Were they planked like the rest of the decks or did they have some other finish.

I want to add too that June's comment on 9/10 was very encouraging and greatly appreciated!

Hi Brandon - the mast will take some making: I've got to figure out exactly where it goes before I go much further but I have included a reinforced platform to support it when it is fitted. I forgot to do that when I made the model of SS Oriana (which I think appears somewhere on the site) and had to go back and alter things to support that smaller and less elaborate mast.   

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #81 on: Nov 06, 2015, 02:15 PM »
Fabulous work, Lachlan !  She is making great progress in your shipyard !  The bridge is awesome as is the rest of the work you are doing and the proportion of all is excellent.  Keep up the good work and we all wait for updates to your work as they become available !

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #82 on: Nov 06, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Still in absolute awe of your skills. The model is really looking amazing.

Sorry I can't help with any of the details you are asking about but I would think forum member Willum might know what the bit by the mast is.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #83 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Might be of some help, showing some of the mast and the deck covering of the Grand Duplex suites  :)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #84 on: Nov 10, 2015, 02:53 AM »
June, Alan and cunardqueen - thanks for your helpful comments. The photos are great and provide lots of detail that I like to incorporate. It appears that there is a ladder aft of the mast that presumably led to a doorway in the bulkhead behind the mast. It is tempting sometimes to make things up if the detail is not available. It is tempting also to say "who would know or care" if some detail is wrong.

The thing is that on the QE2 forum there are people who would know and there are people who do care so I try to get it as right as I can and your help is invaluable in this regard. More reports soon.
Cheers, Lachlan

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #85 on: Nov 10, 2015, 11:58 AM »
Would this be of any help, Lachlan?

Upward
by Isabelle Prondzynski, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2015, 08:45 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #86 on: Nov 10, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Hi Lachlan -

Your philosophy regarding your ship model is admirable !!  Keep up the great work !!

Isabelle's photo is wonderful !!

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #87 on: Nov 10, 2015, 07:31 PM »
Does this semi-silhouette help with getting things in the right place?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #88 on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Thanks for your comments and photos. I used some of these over the weekend to start detailing the area round the base of the mast. I will post more photos when I've got something a bit more substantial to share with you.

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #89 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:05 AM »
Some progress  over the Christmas NY break. The structure of the accommodation aft of the bridge is in place and the bulkheads back to the Funnel Deck are also fitted.
It becomes obvious how these blocks of accommodation were added over time when figuring out how the shapes go together. There are some odd shapes and it's surprising how they integrate well and the overall appearance is, as we all know, very pleasing.
Once all this carpentry is done I will go back and start adding detail all over the place. It's been good weather for modelling because glue goes off so quickly in the heat. I've started on the funnel but I'm not yet confident my method of building it is going to work so I'll post a picture if it does, and try again if it doesn't.