Author Topic: Lachlan's model of QE2  (Read 66516 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: Lachlan's model of QE2
« Reply #45 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Hi Lachlan

Good to hear from you, it looks as if you have been enjoying the winter down under!

That is unmistakably QE2's very own stern!
(Do you remember the fuss when people realised that QM2's was so very different!!)
Looking forward to the next 'installment' - No pressure, though! ;)
All the best
Rosie

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #46 on: Nov 12, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Thanks for the progress report Lachlan.  What a difference to the detail when you see the side screens added. The model is certainly starting to take shape and I am looking forward to seeing more photos as the work progresses. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #47 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:14 AM »
Thanks for your encouraging comments. So encouraging were your comments that I made more progress over the weekend. The Upper Deck after end is next. I couldn't help thinking of the chocolate creations when I was doing the windows on the Lido and when I do the Upper Deck aft of the Yacht Club I will be thinking of pleasant after-dinner drinks my wife and I enjoyed there out on the deck and out of the wind.

I was relieved to find the scaled down overall measurement from the after end of the Boat Deck to the forward end of the Boat Deck is correct to the millimetre.  I would have been happy to within two or three mm over 2.96 metres, so that's good: it means everything from the Boat Deck up will be in its right place.

I'll soon be turning the model around in the shed to work on the forward decks.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #48 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Thanks for your encouraging comments. So encouraging were your comments that I made more progress over the weekend. The Upper Deck after end is next. I couldn't help thinking of the chocolate creations when I was doing the windows on the Lido and when I do the Upper Deck aft of the Yacht Club I will be thinking of pleasant after-dinner drinks my wife and I enjoyed there out on the deck and out of the wind.......

Fantastic that building the model is bring back such lovely memories - Sounds good to me! :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #49 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Hi Lachlan - Your model is progressing wonderfully well.  She looks just like our QE2 and that her measurements are so precise is awesome !  I agree with Lynda that it is wonderful that great memories are brought back !  I trust the tugs are at standby for turning the model around in the shed !   :)  Keep up the good work, and I look forward to more pictues.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #50 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:03 AM »
I need help please. I would like to see a photo that shows an external view of the doors that led from the Upper Deck into the Yacht Club. I think there was a vestibule inside the doors with another set of doors that led inside into the Yacht Club. Can anyone picture what I mean? It's only the outside of the external doors that I am hoping to see.

I have lots of photos that show lots of detail of the stern of QE2, but the doors I'm talking about are obscured behind the stairs that lead down from the Boat Deck to the Upper Deck.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #51 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Hi Lachlan

Help is at hand!
https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=QE2+Upper+deck

Here's the best one - these were quite heavy doors with ordinary lever handles.

You are right, there were two sets of doors - and I think the internal ones were swing-doors !
Weren't there also water-tight doors between the two sets?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16116486@N06/3306656662/

QE2 2005 Upper Deck Star Aft 3 by ancoaster78, on Flickr

and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/16116486@N06/3306653460/

QE2 2005 Upper Deck Port Aft 1 by ancoaster78, on Flickr

Taken by 'ancoaster78' - one of the early Mods on the Forum, his many photos and those taken in hundreds by Andy Fitzsimmons as well as Isabelle are all incredibly well detailed - all posted on flickr, as well as several here on the forum.

Best to you in Oz
Rosie

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014, 10:03 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #52 on: Nov 25, 2014, 12:21 PM »
I like the way the staircases in those shots are constructed. Looks like one length of circular section (or pipe) with triangular webs to support the treads.

Nice.....

Sorry - off topic!

Gav

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #53 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:43 PM »
That's perfect, Rosie - thankyou. The doors are a lot less prepossessing than I remember them being. And there's some other good detail in these pics too. The doors certainly won't be hard to make!

The stairs on the other hand, Gav....I haven't figured out yet how to make them. They are a steel substantial tube with the supports for each step welded on to it and the stanchions for the railing bolted to the step.  If I can make one I should be able to make a mould and use that to cast the sets of steps as I need them.

Thanks again,

Lachlan

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #54 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:00 PM »
The stairs on the other hand, Gav....I haven't figured out yet how to make them. They are a steel substantial tube with the supports for each step welded on to it and the stanchions for the railing bolted to the step.

For the supporting tube - maybe a drinking straw filled with something that'll set hard but not brittle then mount the rest onto it?  Given that straws come in a wide variety of diameters these days there should be some out there that are the correct scale diameter.  Come to think of it, twisty drinking straws are very hard aren't they?  Cut the straight bit that goes into the cup to the right length....?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #55 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:46 AM »
It may not look as though much has happened, but the after decks are finished as far as necessary to fair the hull. There will be more detail such as railings, cranes etc added later but this is enough for now. I have turned the model around and started on the forward decks for the same purpose.

Thanks for the suggestion Peter, I'll try that.

Another thing: has anyone got a photo of what the interior of the recess right at the forard end of one deck looks like. Presumably the recess provided access to One Deck and the anchoring gear for crew from the mooring equipment space on Two Deck. The recess must have been ay about mid-height between One Deck and Two Deck and I'm guessing there was a door in the after end of the recess on the port side of the centreline....but a photo would be great. And how were the platforms that were run out during mooring operations stowed?

I hope you all have a safe and happy Christmas.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #56 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:03 AM »
What material are you using for the decks?  It looks great!

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #57 on: Dec 16, 2014, 03:43 AM »
Hi Bob,
the decks are constructed of plywood then I glue strips of mahogany planking onto the plywood. The strips are a bit lighter on one side than the other so I alternate the strips every now and then while I'm gluing them on to give a variation to the toning of the planking. It's a rather tedious process and I'm not looking forward to doing the long runs of planking on the Boat Deck! But I'm very pleased you think it looks OK.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #58 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Lachlan,

The attention to detail is amazing Sir! Love the planking - you must have the patience of a Saint!

I'm just looking at QE2's after deck detail through the years - those steps we were talking about earlier look like a later addition? I still love their construction - sensible but stylish.

Looking forward to seeing some fwd end stuff soon!!  :D

Gav

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #59 on: Dec 22, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Hi Gav,

I agree with you about the steps. I think the design of the steps is clever. They look modern, would probably have been cheaper to make and would be lower maintenance than conventional steps.

I can assure you a Saint I ain't and I get pretty bored doing repetitive things like the decking but it's worth it I think. I'll post some pics of the for'ard detail soon.  :D

Lachlan