Author Topic: Lachlan's model of QE2  (Read 66518 times)

Offline Pete Hamill

Re: Lachlan's model of QE2
« Reply #225 on: Mar 27, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Lachlan, That is awesome.
If it wasn't for the workshop surroundings, that would require a second inspection to realise it isn't the real thing.

Brilliant work Sir.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #226 on: Mar 27, 2018, 04:13 PM »
Second that Pete!!
 just think your very own intact QE2..

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #227 on: Aug 28, 2018, 05:00 AM »
Some months have gone by and you have been having a hot summer in the UK we see. Some progress has been achieved on the model despite the cold winter we're having.

The detail at the stern is pretty much finished with the swimming pool now installed. The only real thing here is the piping around the pool which was a bit of a fiddle but worth doing. The small deck cranes have been fitted and the tender platform is just visible I think.
The detail around the bridge is coming along and the CUNARD logo has been applied which lifts the model a bit. The foredeck detail has not been completed yet but the railings and anchor cables are in place as well as details including the big crane, the life-raft canisters and the former crane rests which incorporate lights. The two small deck cranes have also been fitted.

The fitting of the boats is awaiting a bright idea to emerge to make it easy and their positions uniform. I keep putting off finishing the funnel but I'll get to it sooner or later. There is a lot of touching-up and cleaning up to do: I'll do the funnel then (that puts it off for a while).

One thing that should change but doesn't is the mess. If I clean up I'll never be able to find anything....

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #228 on: Aug 28, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Thanks for the update, Lachlan.  The model is progressing and looking good. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #229 on: Aug 28, 2018, 02:41 PM »
Thanks very much, Lachlan, for the update on your model.  She looks wonderful !  Your work is superb !  She looks like our girl, herself, sitting in dry dock !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #230 on: Aug 28, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Great work sir!

She looks amazing.

Gav

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #231 on: Aug 28, 2018, 07:30 PM »
Oh Lachlan - This Is absolutely Phenomenal!

Your work is superb... Seeing her here in the context of the "garage" doors and window, the scale seems yards bigger than I'd expected - and it looks at a quick glance as if all she needs are her props, jack staff and Warwick Crest!!
You will need a ship to bring her over - and we'll arrange The Get-together!

Sending every good and warm wish for the next stint!
Rosie.

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2018, 08:36 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #232 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:18 PM »
I've been off the air for a little while but progress is being made.
The boats are all fitted, and more detail has been added.
The model is having a respite from the heat (45C the other day) by staying indoors at the farm. This has meant that I have seen the model side-on for the first time for a long time so, whilst I couldn't get he whole thing in in one photo I took a photo of each half and posted them.
There's still a lot to do but it is nearing completion.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #233 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:54 AM »
Thanks for the update Lachlan, your model consistently amazes me with it's accuracy!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #234 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:53 PM »
This has been a labour of love and full credit to you Lachlan for the time you have spent getting the detail right for the model, which is fantastic. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Waverley

« Reply #235 on: Jan 11, 2019, 04:14 PM »
This model is outstanding. Correct in every detail. I used to built model ships and I can appreciate the sheer amount of work that is involved in producing a model to this high standard of workmanship. Well done indeed.

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #236 on: Jan 11, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Absolutely stunning. Bet you are so proud of her. She is well impressive. With a special anniversary looming in 2019, will you display her anywhere?

Offline pete cain

« Reply #237 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:44 PM »
OH Lachlan.....to think I could've have put a piece in place. Awsome mate

Offline Rod

« Reply #238 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:54 PM »
Lachlan,
After spending just under 20 years on board, I am very reluctant to even read threads like this because, yes I will admit I do miss "The Black Pig"!
But, I finally decided to have a looky-see of your model!
WOW!!! It brought back many, many memories for me. The attention to detail, and foremost, to me at least, the accuracy, is incredible.
Yes, your model is after my time on board I believe, 1 foredeck crane missing, but the rest of it is amazing.
All I can say is, Thank you very much for your time, energy, effort and most of all for sharing.
Sincerely,
Rod

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #239 on: Jan 14, 2019, 02:59 PM »
Oh Lachan, Thank you!
What a wonderful New Year's Treat!

Your QE2 is awesome - yes, OK, she was always beautiful - however to make a replica that totally captures her spirit is a sign of superb talent as well as probably a good deal of patience - and affection! 
The details are superb - the teak banisters in the railings, the little alcoves on Boat Deck - details on the lifeboats - the steel lines on the davits, the AC vents, the bit behind the bit beneath the bridge (great places - fore and aft - close to the big lights, for watching sail-aways!) - and so much more - please don't scrimp on pride, pat yourself well on the back - she is magnificent.

Hoping it'll be a good 2019 for you
Rosie