Author Topic: Lachlan's model of QE2  (Read 66514 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Lachlan's model of QE2
« Reply #210 on: Jan 17, 2018, 06:40 AM »
The large tenders (made by Schat-Harding, as it was known as then, now known just as Harding I think from reaserching recently, and are catamarans - added in the late 1994 "Project Lifestyle refit - her last in Hamburg at Blohm & Voss) had davits that looked quite similar to all of QM2's davits (she also has several similar Schat-Harding catamaran tenders). I don't know the name of these type of davits but they overhang the Boat Deck on QM2 and did on QE2 - not being of the Taylor Gravity Davit type QE2 had otherwise and originally. The Schat-Harding catamaran tenders are still around and are safe in Dubai in a warehouse (Louis has said with evidence from more than one source), just not on display like the rest of her lifeboats and tenders - personally I'm glad they are still around for sentimental reasons!

Louis has also told me QE2 recently had a leak in the vicinity of where these different davits were but on her starboard side (explaining the massive tarpaulin covering the area during further rainfall, and maybe during repairs - last month).

My Dad's photo from 2004 (below) shows the difference that I didn't remember until quite recently despite witnessing the various tenders being raised back onboard again.

My Mum and Dad's QE2 and QM2 photos from 5th June 2004 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

And another of my Dad's photos from the same day, of QM2 (below), but not as clear due to distance and angle with her Boat Deck (in seeing the type of davits):

My Mum and Dad's QE2 and QM2 photos from 5th June 2004 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

Sorry for going off topic so much, Lachlan. Your model of her and the time, care, and effort you put in are amazing! Mods, please move my post if neccessary as I don't want it to interupt Lachlan's topic and excellent model!

Thomas
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #211 on: Jan 17, 2018, 11:55 AM »
Lachlan, your work is fantastic! I guess you are now among the world's most knowledgeable experts on QE2's exteriors. I am hugely impressed by your patience and your willingness to get every detail right.

Thomas, your photos add to the topic, so my own view is that they should remain here. Thank you for the additional information on the davits!

kevinh

« Reply #212 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Lachlan, I don't know anything better to say other than that you have an amazing talent for model building (I'm nearly complete with my 1/350 scale Titanic from Minicraft, and I'm prettybsure that if you were building it, you'd have done a much better job). :) Keep it up!

The large tenders (made by Schat-Harding, as it was known as then, now known just as Harding I think from reaserching recently, and are catamarans - added in the late 1994 "Project Lifestyle refit - her last in Hamburg at Blohm & Voss) had davits that looked quite similar to all of QM2's davits (she also has several similar Schat-Harding catamaran tenders). I don't know the name of these type of davits but they overhang the Boat Deck on QM2 and did on QE2 - not being of the Taylor Gravity Davit type QE2 had otherwise and originally. The Schat-Harding catamaran tenders are still around and are safe in Dubai in a warehouse (Louis has said with evidence from more than one source), just not on display like the rest of her lifeboats and tenders - personally I'm glad they are still around for sentimental reasons!

Louis has also told me QE2 recently had a leak in the vicinity of where these different davits were but on her starboard side (explaining the massive tarpaulin covering the area during further rainfall, and maybe during repairs - last month).

My Dad's photo from 2004 (below) shows the difference that I didn't remember until quite recently despite witnessing the various tenders being raised back onboard again.

And another of my Dad's photos from the same day, of QM2 (below), but not as clear due to distance and angle with her Boat Deck (in seeing the type of davits):

Sorry for going off topic so much, Lachlan. Your model of her and the time, care, and effort you put in are amazing! Mods, please move my post if neccessary as I don't want it to interupt Lachlan's topic and excellent model!

Thomas

Beautiful pictures, Thomas! It really shows the grace and majesty of QE2 and QM2 when they're together or apart. :)

Offline pete cain

« Reply #213 on: Jan 17, 2018, 08:10 PM »
Happy new year Lachlan,  just love it,   I  will have to look deeper into my superlatives book, in the meantime
fancy owning your very own QE2?, well you do mate, she's a sight to behold, just beautiful

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #214 on: Jan 18, 2018, 07:04 PM »
Hi Lachlan - Thank you very much for sharing QE2's (model) progress with us.  Your work continues to be impeccable and your model when viewed in entirety is certainly QE2 herself.  Every good wish !  June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #215 on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:33 AM »
Thomas,
that shot of QE2 is impressive, isn't it. It really captures the scale and size of the ship. Your observations about the tenders and the davits are really interesting. The davits I am using are an approximation of the davits: they had to clear the railings and the Boat Deck and be of the right dimensions to abut the boat deck bulkhead with the boats placed so they don't overhang the ship's sides.

The davits for the big tenders seem to be more akin to an extending crane which moves the tenders horizontally then lowers them. At least that's the picture I have in mind judging by the photographs I've seen.

Thankyou all once more for your generous comments.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #216 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Thomas,
that shot of QE2 is impressive, isn't it. It really captures the scale and size of the ship. Your observations about the tenders and the davits are really interesting. The davits I am using are an approximation of the davits: they had to clear the railings and the Boat Deck and be of the right dimensions to abut the boat deck bulkhead with the boats placed so they don't overhang the ship's sides.

The davits for the big tenders seem to be more akin to an extending crane which moves the tenders horizontally then lowers them. At least that's the picture I have in mind judging by the photographs I've seen.

Thankyou all once more for your generous comments.

My Dad takes excellent photos! Do you plan to make the davits and maybe the falls working (albeit by hand not motor)?

Here's a photo my Dad took at Cannes (July 2005), the different type of overhanging davits being the last pair of empty davits with the falls running down the side of the ship - almost to the waterline. My Dad being on one of the Schat-Harding catamaran tenders these davits belonged to.

Dad's QE2 Mediterranean digital photos, July 2005 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

They do seem to extend out as you said but only in the end part, just enough to give the tender clearance to be lowered - it appears. Maybe a former crew member can give more information here?

Thomas
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2018, 07:48 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #217 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:04 AM »
That picture illustrates extremely well the curvature of the paintwork towards the bow, and also that it is only right at the bow past the point of narrowing where the portholes start to incline upwards.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #218 on: Mar 26, 2018, 03:32 AM »
It has been a couple of months since my last update. Most of the progress on the model has been on the after decks. I have pretty much finished the railings and other details and am moving on to the two tender landing platforms and their hoisting arrangements. I want to finish these before starting to mount the lifeboats.
With the lifeboats and tenders what I thought I would do is to put the forward most (full size) and the after most lifeboat on on each side to ensure they are properly aligned. I think the after-most three boats on each side were mounted a little bit higher than the others and I will try to replicate this arrangement.
I will soon take the pool assembly out and finish it with its railings, a re-paint and then put it in place properly.
I notice it's five years since I started this model. I'm glad I am not trying to make money out of it!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #219 on: Mar 26, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Awesome work Lachlan!

You now have a more accurate representation of QE2 than Dubai have!!

Thanks for keeping us updated, I've loved following along.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #220 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Looking amazing, with an incredible amount of work having gone into the building of the model. 

Thanks for the update!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #221 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Thanks, Lachlan, for the update and magnificent photo.  You have put so much work into your model that she certainly looks like she is ready to take to the sea when completed ! June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #222 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Awesome work Lachlan!

You now have a more accurate representation of QE2 than Dubai have!!

Yes! Exactly the same thought crossed my mind when I saw the picture of that brilliant model. Superb!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #223 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Oh Triple WOW, Lachlan!

Those bars below the railings - and the Steps - You are even more amazing than the ship herself!
Your post comes at exactly the right time - Feeling so Blue here, and thank goodness for your great efforts.

The #whatevertheyarecalled (Bollards??) peeping through the mooring deck too -
I bet very few other models have these. :)

Hoping that there's still some of summer left for you - although I read about fires in Australia the other day, hoping you and yours are safe?
All the very best - and a huge Thank you!
Rosie

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #224 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:58 PM »

The #whatevertheyarecalled (Bollards??) peeping through the mooring deck too -
I bet very few other models have these. :)

Capstans?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"