Author Topic: Lachlan's model of QE2  (Read 66520 times)

Online Bob C.

Re: Lachlan's model of QE2
« Reply #165 on: Feb 09, 2017, 02:46 AM »
Awesome progress.  The detail is superb!

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #166 on: Feb 10, 2017, 02:12 AM »
Thank you all for your kind and encouraging comments. I don't keep a tally of hours Rosie, I just do it for fun. Actually I just noticed, Rosie, that it was you, Lynda and Isabelle who sort of tipped me into starting this model in May 2013. I'm glad you did and I hadn't realised it is already nearly four years since we started!

When we were on QE2 I was still making my previous model but thought I should take lots of detailed photos just in case I were to make a model. I find those and the photos on this website and in the calendars very useful except that sometimes it's hard to place where some specific details are/were - such as along the Boat Deck. So that's when I have to have a bit of a guess.

Cheers for now, Lachlan

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #167 on: Mar 15, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Hi all,

I have been looking at the excellent photos of QE2 in Dubai which have been posted recently showing work of some kind has started on the ship. These photos are a bit annoying! With the boats and davits removed a whole lot of detail has been revealed which I now need to incorporate into my model - so they're very useful really. Just when I thought I had enough detail in place on the Boat Deck I am going back to do some more. I suppose one could just stop looking at new photos of the ship but it'll work out better in the end.
I'll post some more pics soon for those who are following this.
In other news, the model of the windjammer of which I put up a photo a little while ago is going off to a museum. I don't mind admitting I am quite pleased about this because it is the first time in the pursuit of my building these models that their quality has been endorsed by someone other than the kind people who inhabit this website!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #168 on: Mar 15, 2017, 11:44 PM »
Hi all,

I have been looking at the excellent photos of QE2 in Dubai which have been posted recently showing work of some kind has started on the ship. These photos are a bit annoying! With the boats and davits removed a whole lot of detail has been revealed which I now need to incorporate into my model - so they're very useful really. Just when I thought I had enough detail in place on the Boat Deck I am going back to do some more. I suppose one could just stop looking at new photos of the ship but it'll work out better in the end.
I'll post some more pics soon for those who are following this.
In other news, the model of the windjammer of which I put up a photo a little while ago is going off to a museum. I don't mind admitting I am quite pleased about this because it is the first time in the pursuit of my building these models that their quality has been endorsed by someone other than the kind people who inhabit this website!

Hi Lachlan
The Photos are good, and it's a shame that they could be unhelpful too!
At least you wont have to add ladders and cables.
And - Your QE2 won't be dusty!
Will you have the Lights on, on the open decks - Lovely glass globes on poles (there are photos around if you need them too?!) maybe you are going to manage to add a couple of Cunard Benches, there were midships on the Boat deck.
Do you remember them - I have a photo! :)

Congratulations!
Do you mean the Moshulu - going to a Museum? Is it a Maritime one in Melbourne?
If not there, then maybe Brisbane? There is a fine walk along the River too!
We'd better club together and come over for both unveiling of your QE2, and pay a visit to You Model in the Museum as well! :)
Hoping the autumn isn't too near at hand...
All the best
Rosie
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2017, 11:46 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #169 on: Mar 16, 2017, 12:29 AM »
Rosie,
I was only being facetious about the photos being annoying as you gathered. It's a funny coincidence that the real ship is having her boat deck cleared, I am putting all these things on the boat deck on my miniature version. No, no lights but I have made the benches you mention. I can't send a close-up photo of them because it would reveal that the "CUNARD" that was in red in the centre of the backrest appears as only a little red squiggle on my replicas of them. But from a distance they'll look OK. There were two on each side I think, one amidships and another further aft.

I am gifting Moshulu to the South Australian Maritime Museum. Moshulu had strong connections with South Australian ports as she loaded grain from Port Victoria amongst other places.

We've had a long run of days of days in the low to mid 30s so Autumn doesn't seem to be upon us yet but Spring is on the way for you!
Cheers,

Lachlan

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #170 on: Jun 06, 2017, 02:14 AM »
Hi all,
We hope those of you in the UK are well and safe following the recent spate of incidents in your country. Our thoughts are with you.

On a trifling note by comparison, in the miniature world of our model two problem areas have been resolved and I can make progress again. First, I was unsure how to make the oblong portholes on One and Two decks but with a bit of precision drilling and the use of a syringe to apply filler I have now put these portholes in place. I haven't used too dark a colour for these - I wanted them to appear as they appear on the real ship: they're there if you notice them but they don't dominate the look of the topsides.

The second thing was the rows of windows of the Upper Deck and the Quarter Deck. I had these cut very precisely and applied them very carefully. They make the model look more complete I think. I still have to do the windows for the Yacht Club and the Lido and some others as well.

I'm prefabricating lengths of railing for the Boat Deck and will fit these as the davits, boats and their associated fittings are completed.

Enjoy your summer! Cheers for now.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #171 on: Jun 06, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Awesome!

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #172 on: Jun 06, 2017, 11:43 AM »
So cool!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #173 on: Jun 06, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Wonderful work, Lachlan !  She looks so very "real" !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #174 on: Jun 06, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Wonderful work, Lachlan !  She looks so very "real" !  :)

The stage that the model is at is very like her current condition. I can't wait to see the finished product!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #175 on: Jun 06, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Oh goodness Lachlan. You do so have the touch, so wished I'd got to see her in the flesh, (who knows-- we'll be there again sometime)
 Awsome mate!!!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #176 on: Jun 06, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Absolutely awesome.

Your obsessive attention to detail on the small things, is what makes the model as a whole look totally, utterly convincing.

I'm in awe of your skill.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #177 on: Jun 06, 2017, 09:54 PM »
Magnificent!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #178 on: Jun 07, 2017, 12:41 AM »
Very well done! 

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #179 on: Jun 08, 2017, 07:59 PM »
You are a craftsman Sir