Author Topic: Lachlan's model of QE2  (Read 66517 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Lachlan's model of QE2
« Reply #135 on: Sep 27, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Hi Lachlan -

Thanks very much for sharing all the news about your QE2 model and how the work is progressing and the photos.  You are doing a wonderful job and it is exciting to see her progress with each report. 

I definitely will very much look forward to meeting you at the 50 Year Event and hearing more about your model and discuss QE2 with all present.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #136 on: Sep 27, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Looking good Lachlan.

Have you asked yourself the question that anyone who builds large models always avoids - Where am I going to put it when it's complete and how am I going to move it there?  :o

Offline Cunarder Man

« Reply #137 on: Sep 27, 2016, 07:19 PM »
Such detail! Wonderful model.

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #138 on: Sep 28, 2016, 11:37 AM »
Thanks for your comments, they are very kind. As for your question Pete about where it will go, that is a matter for the home interior design sub-committee. The large model I made of Oriana is ensconced at home but whether QE2 will find a spot at home is a moot point. We keep putting it off on the ground that finishing is a fair while away.

Moving it shouldn't be a problem as in our business we have a number of vehicles that can accommodate it.
This reminds me.....I have to find a home for another large model. I'll put up a photo of that by and by so you'll see Pete has hit on a pertinent point!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #139 on: Sep 28, 2016, 12:06 PM »
Makes me want to shrink down to scale and book a trip!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #140 on: Sep 28, 2016, 08:55 PM »
OH Lachlan, how do you do it?, she looks like a Queen already, ironic that your shot shows the Prom deck without davits & boats, bit like the real thing, quite a juxt-position don't you think?. She's big isn't she, beautiful to behold!.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #141 on: Sep 29, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Oh Lachlan - You Are a Genius!
To have to do things once on your magnificent vessel seems taxing enough - twice because of the waterline sounds beyond the call of duty!
Just been scrolling through all your photos - Doesn't this call for publication?!
I hadn't noticed the double doors (so the ship can escape!) - or the scale in relation to the newspaper - How Much (on earth!) does she weigh!
It looks as if you have made good use of what by several accounts has been a dodgy winter - You are Amazing!

Then to get to you 'BTW' at the end of your post - It Is Excellent news that you are coming North, and on to Europe -
Looking forward very much to meeting you both.
Rosie

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #142 on: Nov 02, 2016, 02:42 AM »
Hi all,
A little bit of progress to report. The hatch on the forward end of the Quarter Deck is installed. It doesn't look too big a deal but it took a whole day. How am I ever going to get this finished!

Offline Peter Sutton

• Lido Diner
  • QE2 is Design and workmanship at its best
« Reply #143 on: Nov 02, 2016, 11:13 AM »
hi Lachlan, the latest pics of your model are fantastic, it is a credit to you and your skill, are you going to keep her when done? and did you see the drawings on eBay of her when in for refit in germany , the sold for over £100 , thats when I gave up ? well done again , remarkable job.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #144 on: Nov 02, 2016, 07:54 PM »
If that is the same hatch that I think it is, it used to house the crew swimming pool beneath it when I was on board. The pool would be lifted out by crane to access the storage areas below it when in port and taking on supplies.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #145 on: Nov 02, 2016, 08:14 PM »
If that is the same hatch that I think it is, it used to house the crew swimming pool beneath it when I was on board. The pool would be lifted out by crane to access the storage areas below it when in port and taking on supplies.

This is fascinating! I would love to have seen that...

My problem right now is that I cannot place this hatch at all. Would it be on any picture showing the wider area?

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #146 on: Nov 03, 2016, 06:46 AM »
This picture shows the hatch in question, just under the crane. Maybe it's not called the Quarter Deck forard of the superstructure. That might be what is causing the experts to be unable to place it. Did it double as a crew swimming pool? It probably did - I know that one of the hatches on (SS) Oriana doubled as a swimming pool.

Peter S - thanks for your comments and I do intend to keep the model when it's finished. I couldn't bear to part with it after all the fiddling around making it! As for the refit plans, I do have a copy of the profile plan that Lloyd Werft were kind enough to provide. I did seek more detailed plans from the naval architects who drew that plan but they were unwilling to provide the plans without the shipowner's consent. That is, the post Cunard owners and I didn't pursue that as it sounded too hard.

I was spoilt when I made the model of Oriana in that I had a copy of the Vickers Armstrongs (the ship's builders) original "as delivered" profile plan. That was fantastically useful as it was hugely detailed and its measurements totally reliable.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #147 on: Nov 03, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Your work is wonderful, Lachlan, and I enjoy very much each new photo and each new description of work in progress.  All the best for continued success in QE2 (model) !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #148 on: Nov 21, 2016, 06:00 AM »
No photos today, but I can report that I have been doing some detail work on the foredeck that is not very photogenic. The anchor handling gear is a bit tricky because it's so asymmetrical as a result of the bow anchor being removed. Ladders on the forward bulkheads, the large crane and its associated bits and pieces, the spare accommodation ladder, and the lights and vents that form a structure in what were the supports for the original cranes all have to be fitted. I have counted up over seventy life raft canisters have to be fitted at various spots around the ship.
Pete Cain's model is looking very good. I wish I was as far advanced as he is.
More photos when I have something more to show.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #149 on: Nov 21, 2016, 04:01 PM »
 Lachlan,  I think it far easier to glue bits of plastic together following a plan, than scaling down from drawings & then scratch building. My hat off to you,   sorry we never made it this time I think you had a nice day planned!!.