Author Topic: QE2 50 year event 22 September 2017, Clydebank  (Read 146017 times)

Offline Pete Hamill

Re: QE2 50 year event 22 September 2017, Clydebank
« Reply #210 on: Jul 20, 2017, 12:11 PM »
Thanks indeed to all three.

There is a huge amount of work that goes on that those of us attending are completely oblivious to.
Really looking forward to this!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #211 on: Jul 28, 2017, 06:29 PM »
 It is hard to believe that it is just two months until the conference takes place.  In fact  55 days from this very moment, to be precise,  the conference will be over and we will be raising a glass or two to celebrate. 

Two years ago at the Lusitania conference at Clydebank Town Hall Gavin, John and I realised the significance of the venue, which is not far from where QE2 was built.  It was John who first mooted the idea, a conference to celebrate QE2's 50th year at the place of her birth.  Almost two years and a lot of work later but we are almost there. 

The (very full) Programme has been planned and the delegate packs designed ready for the printer.  Lots of work still to do but everything is on course for a very successful event.

Press releases will be going out next month to not only alert the media to the conference but to remind them of the importance of QE2's 50th anniversary. 
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2017, 07:06 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #212 on: Jul 30, 2017, 02:43 PM »
This time will evaporate before you know it, Lynda.  Hats off to the planning committee for doing such a great job of organizing this event.  I can hardly wait to see how well it unfolds but I know it will be nothing short of amazing!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #213 on: Jul 30, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Second that!!!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #214 on: Jul 31, 2017, 02:46 PM »
In total agreement also.  Many thanks to the committee !  This conference to honour our beloved QE2 will be without equal !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #215 on: Jul 31, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Well i'm starting to get myself ready, we were sorting out some things in our loft yesterday and i used the opportunity to be reunited with this piece of my Cunard history!
Does anybody else have one of these? They were, in my opinion, a really classy item of luggage.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #216 on: Aug 01, 2017, 12:43 AM »
Well i'm starting to get myself ready, we were sorting out some things in our loft yesterday and i used the opportunity to be reunited with this piece of my Cunard history!
Does anybody else have one of these? They were, in my opinion, a really classy item of luggage.

Is it a rucksack? Mine unfortunately got so much wear and tear that it finally went the way of all flesh... I tried to find another one during our final voyage, but they did not have them any more. It was a really useful item and treasured for many years.

Here it is, in Cabin 1041 of SS Rotterdam :

Cabin 1041
by Isabelle Prondzynski, on Flickr

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #217 on: Aug 03, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Taking advantage of a very wet afternoon here in Devon, my wife 'suggested' that we sort out one of our storage cupboards.

Neither of us had realised just how much memorabilia we had collected over the years. 

Although to be fair we did acquire quite a few items from a former Cunard Purser who lived next door to some friends. He had sailed with Cunard before, during and after WW2 and, on his death, his widow was 'advised' to put these items up for auction!  My wife managed to acquire about 6 or 7 lots for the princely sum of £350 + commission.  My favourite item was a 'mystery' as it was overlooked in the bottom of a box by the auctioneers and as such was 'free'! It is a brass nameplate from one of the RMS Samaria's lifeboats! How this gents acquired it i have no idea, but i do know where it is now! FYI RMS Samaria was scrapped in 1956.
But to continue; While looking at our items spread out on the bed in the spare room, my wife 'suggested' [she's very good at 'suggesting things!'] i might like to 'offload' some of these items.

So to come to my point in this post, I have spoken to Lynda and offered a small selection of items for sale at the event, with ALL proceeds going towards the cost of running the QE2 50 year event.

Over the next few days i will be starting a new thread and posting photos of the items involved.

Unfortunately, as i am flying up to Glasgow, i will be limited to size and weight of items but will endevour to make them interesting and possibly unique.

As to the actual sale, on the day time will be very limited so i am open to ideas/suggestions as to how we work this 'sale'!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #218 on: Aug 25, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Four weeks today at 9.30 am we will be at Clydebank Town Hall and ready for the start of the conference at 9.45. 

Today Gavin, John and I are meeting at the venue to check final arrangements with the venue representatives.  Busy day!  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #219 on: Aug 25, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Four weeks today at 9.30 am we will be at Clydebank Town Hall and ready for the start of the conference at 9.45. 

Today Gavin, John and I are meeting at the venue to check final arrangements with the venue representatives.  Busy day!  :)

I was delighted to be able to join Lynda, Gavin and John today at the town hall. It all sounds like it will be a really fabulous day, in a fabulous venue.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

Thank you to the committee for making this very special, unique and one-off event happen.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #220 on: Aug 25, 2017, 06:51 PM »
4 weeks . . . where has the "summer" gone?

Really looking forward to it - and have been since it was announced!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #221 on: Aug 25, 2017, 10:23 PM »
4 weeks . . . where has the "summer" gone?

It's been quite good in the south since about May*, but I do know what you mean about time passing quickly.

*Apologies to those who have been outside the zone of reasonable weather; this is not an attempt to make anyone feel green - merely pointing out that the weather hasn't been the same everywhere.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #222 on: Aug 26, 2017, 08:10 PM »
It's the west coast of Scotland . . it's wet, it's 18C on a good day . . .then there's the midges . . . .  Ahhh, summer!!!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #223 on: Aug 27, 2017, 08:12 PM »
It's the west coast of Scotland . . it's wet, it's 18C on a good day . . .then there's the midges . . . .  Ahhh, summer!!!

Scotland can have changeable weather so best to dress for all seasons (in the one day)

We had an enquiry asking if there was a dress code for the conference.  At the committee meeting on Friday, we agreed that we are not going to specify a dress code, as we want people to be comfortable with what they wear.  It would be lovely if delegates wear the QE2 Story 50 year badge, if you have purchased one.

Maybe there will some QE2 ties, scarves badges worn, maybe even a bit of tartan, to recognise QE2's Scottish connection.

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #224 on: Sep 02, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Lots to look forward to later this month. I was at Clydebank Museum on Monday visiting the Lego Brick History Exhibition with my pupils when I noticed this glass case containing QE2 memorabilia which I would imagine will still be there for the QE2 conference. Part of the Lego exhibition included a model of the Titan Crane which we were told is to be gifted to the Museum and will be on permanent display, hopefully also there for the conference.
QE2 Forever @RavelCat