Author Topic: Models of QE2  (Read 162840 times)

Offline Lachlan

Re: Models of QE2
« Reply #210 on: Jun 01, 2015, 04:20 AM »
Hi Roy,

I have seen the model of QE2 at the Glasgow Transport Museum. It sure is impressive at what is probably 1/48 scale which is a very large model indeed. They have a fine collection of models in the museum and it is a good place for an amateur model builder to get a feel for how one's models compare with the professionally built ones.

Cheers, Lachlan

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #211 on: Jun 03, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Hi I have Just received an answer from the Museum, It appears that the model started life as  a test hull for QE2 when was being designed,
after the museum received it as they hadn't a model of her they rebuilt it to its present display standard.
Not to sure how I feel about  converting a piece of original history into a display model

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #212 on: Jun 03, 2015, 11:16 AM »
Hi I have Just received an answer from the Museum, It appears that the model started life as  a test hull for QE2 when was being designed,
after the museum received it as they hadn't a model of her they rebuilt it to its present display standard.
Not to sure how I feel about  converting a piece of original history into a display model

Good that you heard!
It sounds interesting too; by any chance, did you manage to take a photo of it, too?
Just a thought, and please forgive me if this is 'old hat' stuff!  The apprentices in the ship builders yards were required to make models of the ships as part of their early training, it sounds as if the test hull may have also been built when Q4 or other prototypes (later QE2) were being tested in the tanks etc. As you say, it could be a truly historic find. How much conversion has been done?

(PS and Very Off Topic! If you are on board QM2, there is a fantastic 'builders model' of a small boat called The Swan, built in the same yard that built QM2 in France - and maybe the great model behind the bar in the Commodore Club is also one by the builders' apprentices)

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2015, 11:18 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #213 on: Jul 24, 2015, 09:15 AM »
I would like the full scale original

Offline cameroa

« Reply #214 on: Jul 24, 2015, 11:06 AM »
In full working order 😁

Offline Damien McCarthy

« Reply #215 on: Nov 14, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Hey,
         Lachhlan love your model. Can anybody tell me QE2's 1987 funnel height and the height from waterline to the tip of the funnel. Also if anyone can tell me her width and the span of her bridge wing and wheelhouse of QE2. If anyone can supply me with some sort of plans of her look on her retirement year that would be great. This is for me to build a model of her in the coming weeks.

Best Regards,
Damien McCarthy

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #216 on: Nov 14, 2015, 04:54 PM »
HI Damien

Have done a brief search for you and running late!
However, use the search window - trying all sorts - Funnel height,  depth of hull etc
I know these are definitely somewhere on here - and you could look on The QE2 Story, Rob Lightbody's website

Rosie

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #217 on: Nov 14, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Have a look at the progress on Lachlan's beautiful 1:96 model, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,7058.0.html
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2015, 09:09 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #218 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Hi Damien -

Looking forward to hearing more about your plans for a QE2 model !

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #219 on: Nov 15, 2015, 11:33 PM »
Hi Damien,
great to hear someone else is having a go at a model of QE2! What scale are you thinking of building your model at? I don't know if you're an experienced modeller but QE2 is/was a pretty long ship and a model at a scale bigger than, say 1/200 starts to get big. I'd be happy to help with plans if you can give me a bit more detail on your project.
Cheers, Lachlan

Offline Damien McCarthy

« Reply #220 on: Nov 18, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Thank you all for your replies :) Sorry bout my late reply. Lachlan I was thinking something like maybe 1:350 scale. As she was when she left the UK shores for Dubai. I would be greatful if you or anyone could help.

Best Regards,
Damien

Offline Captain Martini

« Reply #221 on: Dec 03, 2015, 04:36 PM »
I am currently working on a 1:450 scale Revell model of QE2 which I began, believe it or not, some 20 years ago. It has become my version of "Hull 534", as I have recently dragged it out to finish it!

In the meantime (to quote Valerie Singleton) "Here is one I made earlier."  It's the Airfix 1:600 version, representing the ship in 1969/70.

Apologies for the slight discolouration around the joints and faded colours; I made this one over 30 years ago!

PS Please don't derate me for not painting the boat deck bulkhead khaki. At the time, I knew no better; and besides, I think it looks better white - I was just a bit ahead of times, that's all! 
Mark Cornford (aka Captain Martini)

Offline Captain Martini

« Reply #222 on: Dec 03, 2015, 04:38 PM »
Here are a few more photos of the same model. (No idea why that last one doesn't want to turn round like the other one)
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2015, 04:42 PM by Captain Martini »
Mark Cornford (aka Captain Martini)

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #223 on: Dec 03, 2015, 05:39 PM »
I am currently working on a 1:450 scale Revell model of QE2 which I began, believe it or not, some 20 years ago. It has become my version of "Hull 534", as I have recently dragged it out to finish it!

In the meantime (to quote Valerie Singleton) "Here is one I made earlier."  It's the Airfix 1:600 version, representing the ship in 1969/70.

Great work, congratulations. Not an easy one to make nicely, this Airfix kit, if I remember well.

Also made the 1/450 one. Still have it, very nice model.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #224 on: Dec 03, 2015, 06:40 PM »

Apologies for the slight discolouration around the joints and faded colours; I made this one over 30 years ago!

PS Please don't derate me for not painting the boat deck bulkhead khaki. At the time, I knew no better; and besides, I think it looks better white - I was just a bit ahead of times, that's all!

I do believe hull # 534 or Yard Number 534 is for Queen Mary.  Yard Number 736 is QE2.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

RMS Britannia, Asia and Persia models on QE2

Started by WaverleyBoard Artwork and Heritage on board QE2

Replies: 15
Views: 6274
Last post Jun 18, 2020, 09:11 PM
by Michael Gallagher
Ship models

Started by Andrew CollierBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 32
Views: 13908
Last post Oct 07, 2014, 01:40 PM
by June Ingram