Author Topic: Models of QE2  (Read 162841 times)

Offline Alistair

Re: Models of QE2
« Reply #165 on: Jul 23, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Yes the big one is the 1:450 Gunze Sanyo model I sweated over last year. My secret is 6mm masking tape...miles of it...to get the hull lines straight, also, without my contact lenses I am very short sighted so I pop them out when I'm doing the fiddley bits  :D

One thing I forgot to mention was that on the Airfix model the mast has an extra pole section on top that the other two don't have. I think this may be a mistake but I left it on for now. I will confer with Rob before I decide whether to snip it off or not. Anyway thanks for the kind words and I wish you well in your own model making enterprises. I think I'm all QE2'd out now. Maybe I should try something else though the pleasure in assembling the QE2 is seeing the beautiful hull and superstructure form take shape.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #166 on: Jul 23, 2011, 10:57 PM »
Blooming brilliant Alistair!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

bobso

« Reply #167 on: Jul 24, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Just  a quick post as i am EXTREMELY tired right now--but--VERY HAPPY. The reason being that as it was a beutiful day here with the sun shining and nice and warm, my wife a i went to a place called "Tayport"--about 9 miles from our home. It was full of cars probably around 300 or thereabouts, and i found one car selling the 1/350 scale Titanic---AND he also had the elusive "Gunze-Sanyo" QE2 for sale.!!!. I jumped the the chance of buying it--he asked £25-00p for the QE2 and i immediatly gave him the money and took both it and the Titanic kit back to my car. (he asked £5-00p for the Titanic so i just bought it as well) Full story later, but that is the jist of the story.
My heart was racing when i first heard of the QE2 kit and could hardly believe it when he only asked a fraction of what it costs to buy. It is not shrink wrapped but IS complete with all parts still in the clear plastic bags and with full instructions. :)--amazing what can be found at boot sales.!! :D

bobso

« Reply #168 on: Jul 24, 2011, 08:38 PM »
As we were both feeling well this morning my wife and myself went to the Car Boot sale in a small village called "Tayport". It was a very nice day warm and sunny with hundreds of cars. We go our different ways at the boot sale and meet up after a time. While wandering around the stalls, i say one man selling a number of plastic kits. Most were of planes--i am not really interested in these, but i noticed at the bottom of his pile a 1/350 scale model of the "Titanic". As i already have built this kit and have another 4 or 5 Titanic kits to build in different scales i went on my way. There was a crowd round his stall anyway so i wandered off to look around. having bought some DVD's and soft "Squeeky" toys for my dog, i found myself back at the same stall. I asked about the Titanic model and he said it was his fathers but there were too many small bits for his Dad to hold so he was selling it. I looked in the box and the kit seemed all there. I asked what he wanted for it and he said "a fiver". I bought it--for that kind of money even if it was not all there it would do for spares. I asked him if he had any other ship kits and he shouted to his wife who was in the car and she said there was another ship kit behind the front seat. He found it and showed it to me. I nearly dropped when i saw that it was the "Gunz-Sanyo" kit of the QE2 i had been looking for. It was not shrink wrapped but was in "AS New" condition with all parts still in the bags and including instructions. I asked what he wanted for it and he said £25 Quid--sir!!--I did not argue and paid him the money quick fast!! :) I will post pictures soon so you can see what i bought. i will also post pictures of the other kit i bought recently.

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #169 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:01 AM »
Three QE2 models I have; a Japanese kit which I must admit is the best I've ever put together- fitted perfectly. That was bought on board in 1983. Then the Airfix kit as old as the ship herself and finally a metal model bought on board in 2000. These show her changing appearance throughout the years quite well.
Paul Strathdee

bobso

« Reply #170 on: Jul 25, 2011, 07:39 AM »
To reply to Fairfield--these are lovely models and you have made a beutiful job of building them. Thanks for posting them for us to see and admire. The Japanese kit--is this the "Gunze-Sanyo" kit that in 1/450 scale i was so fortunate to see and buy yesterday? If it is--and i think it is--i am REALLY looking forward to building the model and fitting it with hundreds of lights.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #171 on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:04 AM »
Hi Bobso - you got one heck of a bargain at the car boot sail. I paid over £60 for the Gunze Sanyo kit and it does fit together very well as Fairfiled so brilliantly shows in his picture.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #172 on: Jul 25, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Great purchase Bobo, when l think l had to buy a new suitcase to get my model back from the Queen Mary.
Car boots, quite often people have no idea what their selling. I discovered one at Long Beach, and a guy selling heaps of shipping stuff. With the wisdom of hindsight l should have bought a lot more, but time was limited and l only saw a quarter of what was there. He just wanted rid of the stuff and clearly had no idea what it was worth, Which is how you want it..... ;)   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

bobso

« Reply #173 on: Jul 25, 2011, 03:12 PM »
To reply to posts by Cunardqueen and Alistair--thanks for your comments. I was EXTREMELY lucky yesterday. It was a really sunny day and i was feeling fine. After finding and buying the model i had been looking for--the large QE2--i left the sale feeling FANTASTIC ;D
The man as you say had really no idea of what he had for sale. My own heart was racing when i discovered what he had behind the seat and even more so when i got it for what was a "rock bottom" price. I will take some pictures and post them when i get a few minutes--it just takes time to take pictures, save them and reduce the size and crop them--add them to my album and then finally post them for you to see. However---they WILL be posted soon.

bobso

« Reply #174 on: Jul 25, 2011, 06:10 PM »
Here are the pictures of both QE2 kits. On closer look the one from the USA is very hard to decide what to do with. I may be able to scratchbuild it as origonal from 1969. The one bought yesterday at the boot sale is like new--all the parts are still sealed in the clear plastic bag. THIS  is the one that i am going to build with all the lights etc. ;)

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #175 on: Jul 27, 2011, 12:44 PM »
To reply to Fairfield--these are lovely models and you have made a beutiful job of building them. Thanks for posting them for us to see and admire. The Japanese kit--is this the "Gunze-Sanyo" kit that in 1/450 scale i was so fortunate to see and buy yesterday? If it is--and i think it is--i am REALLY looking forward to building the model and fitting it with hundreds of lights.

I'm not too sure but others seem to think it is. I might still have the assembly instructions so if I find them will confirm!
Paul Strathdee

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #176 on: Jul 27, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Two shots of the QE2 model in the new Riverside Museum in Glasgow.
Paul Strathdee

bobso

« Reply #177 on: Sep 11, 2011, 03:04 PM »
To go back to the posts of mine number 169--170--to the Gunze-Sanyo model kit of the QE-2 i bought at a local car boot sale for the bargain price of £25-00p ;D-- :)--   Here is the same model kit for sale just now on E-bay--BUT---look at the price!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anmark-Otaki-QE2-Queen-Elizibeth-2-1-450th-scale-ocean-liner-model-kit-RARE-/330611958160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa022190

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #178 on: Oct 01, 2011, 05:53 PM »
Here is the same model kit for sale just now on E-bay--BUT---look at the price!!!

Same model for sale on ebay. Different box but nice price:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/MR-HOBBY-1-450-SCALE-QUEEN-ELIZABETH-2-LINER-PLASTIC-MODEL-KIT-G-403-6000--/160659191977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item256808b8a9#ht_1560wt_1020

Offline pete cain

« Reply #179 on: Nov 14, 2011, 05:02 PM »

A very interesting advice site for  anybody lucky enough to have one of these once readilly available kits, (not me though, doh!)

http://www.modelships.info/debrisfield/reviews/qe2_airfix/qe2_airfix.html.
  Maybe useful info for any other modelmaker, perhaps somebody can help me here, seeing as how I don't possess one, but an
  intriguing sentence in para 6 ,  Humbrol paint#28, reads something like;  was the superstructure planned to be less tapered than
  actually built, are the reviewers talking about the model or QE2 , if it were the QE2 then that would be of interest ?

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2014, 06:39 PM by Rob Lightbody »

RMS Britannia, Asia and Persia models on QE2

Started by WaverleyBoard Artwork and Heritage on board QE2

Replies: 15
Views: 6274
Last post Jun 18, 2020, 09:11 PM
by Michael Gallagher
Ship models

Started by Andrew CollierBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 32
Views: 13908
Last post Oct 07, 2014, 01:40 PM