Author Topic: Models of QE2  (Read 162838 times)

Offline Avariel

Re: Model of QE2
« Reply #15 on: Apr 22, 2009, 02:37 AM »
That is amazing.

*hats off to the model maker*

If it was me, I would take at least 2-3 years to build it. *has the attention span of a housefly*

KEV

« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Not your average cornflake pack freebie this one

respect to the builder-what a skill to have.I see he was the model maker on the Titanic film. Wonder if this will be static or working-guess the former but fantastic whatever-a bit like the one in Southampton departure lounge-who made that? was it the builders model and is it still there?

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2009, 08:51 PM »
Totally, desperately "in want" of that model. 

Offline Andy F

« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Agree absolutely superb and testimony to the Guy's skill (and patience)
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2009, 03:49 PM »
It really is vert fine, very little for even the most eagle eyed to fault!

The etched brass really is the way forward for ship models of that type, the only way to get such a good finish to all those millions of windows, and getting a machine to do it for you saves you having to cut them all out yourself, genius, I have been considering somthing similar after reading some other websites for my project for a while, but seeing it done so well on the very ship I wish to built is a big encouragement!

Thanks for the link  8)

The Virtual Staff Captain

KEV

« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Hi Andy2 I'm glad that you are also building one. It certainly requires a lot of skill and patience I would agree/imagine (something I can't do-I still have my Airfix QE2 in a box from a kid!). Perhaps you can keep us updated on your own progress? Are you building just a one  off for yourself or doing a kit/run? What scale? Perhaps you can do a special rate for Forum members!I doubt my offer of Ten genuine British Pounds would buy more than a window on that model!

Check out this well made 1/600 Airfix Kit
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.maritim-modellklubb.no/Images/IPMS2005/QEII.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.maritim-modellklubb.no/Artikler/IPMS-konkurranse2005.html&usg=__wrm6iv57Nty6v4Ui6_fbZ0_fTsI=&h=856&w=1136&sz=273&hl=en&start=16&um=1&tbnid=W6NLthh4u7Ky3M:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dairfix%2Bqe2%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Also check out the latest £4billion Queen Elizabeth- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1100714/The-4billion-Airfix-Kit-Behind-scenes-Britains-biggest-warships.html

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Hey Kev,

My project is far from being ready to share its progress im afraid! I found a set of deck plans, and a few other plans a few years ago, and over the last couple of years have been very slowly (very time consuming, and I really have a lot more important things in life to do!) drawing up on a CAD program (mostly on nice quite night shifts, which I no longer have) the plans for my model.

I am initially drawing the ship in all its details, last time I spent much time on it was putting the position of the windows and portholes in on the side view, and started to scale up the hull lines from the model makers plan of them I have. Eventually, information from all the different drawings of the ship I have, shipyard drawings and model makers plans will come together on this one master plan on the CAD, from which I will be able to build. Seeing as I am very fussy about getting things as right as possible, this is expected to take quite a good few months yet, and much pouring over thousands of photos for all the bits the drawings don't show!

The model, once started, (which will not be in the immediate future!) will probally made from glassfibre with a mixure of plasticard and brass overlays, all laser cut from the CAD drawings, to give surface detail, windows, doors, openings etc, with real teak (from veneer suppliers) for the decks, and a mixture of cast metal and photo etched brass for the small fittings. Scale was originally going to be 1:96, but I am now considering enlarging to 1:72 as there are some other ships I wish to built in the even more distant future which are smaller, and would much better suit 1:72 scale then 1:96. This is as yet undecided. The CAD drawings can forunatly be resized precidely to any scale from the base scale I am drawing them to. The other reason for interest in 1:72 is 'Task Force 72' who operate and display a whole fleet of large models all built to that scale in several countries around the world, the idea of a fleet to join might be fun?

Either scale makes a pretty large model which has its own problems, am thinking a long estate car with a roof rack and a specially made carry box are going to be needed!
Whichever scale I use the model will be fully operational, possibly even with steam propulsion if I choose that period of its life to model....

Due to the size and cost of the project, it is going to take ages, and at some later stage in the project, ie once the hull mouldings are finished etc and I have something physical to show, I may seek orders for drawings/hulls/fittings or maybe even a complete kit etc from others wishing to build the ship, to help fund the project, I have not tried selling parts like this before, but have read of others who have, would seek advise first etc, but, all that is a loooong way off!

Wow, that was ment to be a quite response, I get carried away....

Thansk for the interest, Cheers!  8)

KEV

« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2009, 06:12 PM »
Nice one Andy-keep us posted!

Offline Waverley

« Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2009, 10:13 PM »
Andy,
       When you are ready for the laser cut parts to your drawing specifications. I can recommend Stephen Harris at this company

http://www.laserframes.co.uk/Home_Page.htm
Robert

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #24 on: Apr 26, 2009, 12:31 PM »
Thanks for that Chief, will definatly consider them when the time eventually comes!

In the meantime, heres another model, some lovely photos....

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/180818183iQGzTt?start=0

KEV

« Reply #25 on: Apr 26, 2009, 07:43 PM »
That Glasgow model is one fine piece. Wonder who built it?

Too big for my bath though.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #26 on: Apr 26, 2009, 07:57 PM »
It's a John Brown model, according to the comment from E Dowds here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2688853556/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Apr 26, 2009, 08:54 PM »
It's a John Brown model, according to the comment from E Dowds here :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2688853556/

It is indeed.

And here's my Dad with THAT model, IN John Browns, with some old lady.

I was told that all 3 models in the transport museum were used as tank-test models, before being completed to displayable standard when the ships were launched.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 11:32 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

KEV

« Reply #28 on: Apr 26, 2009, 11:25 PM »
What a proud photo to have of your Dad Rob

Thanks Isabelle also for identifying it as JBs builders model

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #29 on: Apr 27, 2009, 04:42 AM »
That's so exciting.  Which one is your dad?

RMS Britannia, Asia and Persia models on QE2

Started by WaverleyBoard Artwork and Heritage on board QE2

Replies: 15
Views: 6274
Last post Jun 18, 2020, 09:11 PM
by Michael Gallagher
Ship models

Started by Andrew CollierBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 32
Views: 13908
Last post Oct 07, 2014, 01:40 PM
by June Ingram