Author Topic: Visit to Glasgow University Archives to see their QE2 materials  (Read 12776 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Visit to Glasgow University Archives to see their QE2 materials
« Reply #15 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Can each person going have their own list of things at which to look or is only one list allowed ?

From my experience you need to be reasonably specific so Rob would perhaps need to gather a brief wish list from the group attending and then give a realistic copy of this to the archive staff. If you swamped them with requirements I dont think they'd wear it!

When I visited they were very enthusiastic and helpful. It was very quiet and relaxing as well. I enjoyed looking through the Chief Engineer's notebook containing notes from ps Medway Queen's sea trials !

Gav

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Hi Gav -

Thank you for your post.  And of course having a reasonable list would be the only course of action. 

Are QE2's logbook(s) there or elsewhere ?

Is Q4 information form John Brown's at the University ?

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2014, 11:05 PM »
Any idea of a date for this yet Captain Lightbody??

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2014, 09:55 AM »

The Glasgow University Archives rescued records from the Upper Clyde Shipbuilders, and thank goodness they did, otherwise the records of these famous shipyards would have been lost.  This is a fascinating account of the foresight of Michael Moss, the Register of the Archives, who rescued UCS including John Brown's records. 
http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/news/dunaskinnews200207/deathontheclyde/

You may also enjoy this short video about the Glasgow University Archive services. There is a short section on the shipbuilding records.  The archives viewing rooms are not based in the beautiful Glasgow University buildings, but are housed in premises in Patrick, Glasgow.  The first time I visited, I did not know what to expect when I pressed a button on a rather unassuming door to be admitted, but was pleasantly surprised to find a modern facility to view the records I had requested.  For those spending a long time on research there was a little kitchen area where you could make a tea/coffee and eat a sandwich, if you wished.  Because the unit is air condition, I had been advised to take a cardigan and I was glad of this as it was a bit cold. 
http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/about/behind-the-scenestour/

Looking forward to the visit

« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2014, 09:57 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:26 AM »
In addition to what I have mentioned in the above post, this is the list of what is archived in relation to QE2.  Could be a starting point for us agreeing what we would like to look at in the archives, but Rob will confirm how we plan the visit.  Those interested in engineering may be interested in the turbine vibration and blade failure.  I would be interested in the launch arrangement, the speed trials record book, the specifications books. 

http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_71009_en.pdf
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Hi Gav -

Thank you for your post.  And of course having a reasonable list would be the only course of action. 

Hi June,
If you are referring to QE2's log books during her time in service with Cunard, the answer is below!
As well as in Glasgow, you will find information on Q4 in the excellent book,
Potter and Frost's 'QE2 : Queen Elizabeth 2 The Authorised Story'
Rosie

Everything in the Cunard archive held at the University of Liverpool can be accessed by Joe Public - appointments are necessary!
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2014, 11:06 AM by Twynkle »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Hi Lynda and Rosie -

Thank you very much for your messages and links to all of the information as well as the QE2 book.  I shall follow up on all of them.   It is a wonderful thing that UCS records were saved.  There is indeed a treasure trove of information there to be had.  A look at the speed trials record book would be most interesting.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I would love to see whether there is any record of the maximum speed she managed going backwards!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2014, 05:31 PM »
I am not able to go to Glasgow University Archives, but if there is room on the list of inquiries, might I please add these ?  Based on Lynda's list of the archives, these are the references.

GUAS Ref: UCS 1/107/479  List of Sub-Contractors
Were any of the sub-contractors working on her steam plant, and if so, who were they and what did they do ?

GUAS Ref: UCS 1/93/50  Speed Trials Record Book
Was QE2 put into a tight turn ?  And if so, how fast was she going, how tight was the turn, and what was the degree of her list ? 

Thanks, June   :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:37 PM »
What I think we'll do, is definitely have a visit in June, the day before our 2015 Waverley trip & get together.

The question is, do people want us to do another date in addition to that, sooner?  If so, shout out your preference! 

The stuff I'm most curious to see is actually the 80s stuff just before she was re-engine!

- Rob
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:44 PM »
It is such a vast choice of records that you can only see what you ask for ?
Wouldnt it be nice to just have  alook around and see what you might find...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #26 on: Oct 21, 2014, 04:26 PM »
June will be fine, happy to attend both days. Quite happy to see anything in the archives and have a trip on the Waverley. Weekend at the Crowne Plaza would be great.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #27 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Thank you Rob,
It would be so good to meet up and at the same time take a trip on Waverley as well as call at the University...
May 22nd is the Three Queens Day in Liverpool - isn't it?
There are people who will be on board, and just wondering if it would be too tricky / or possible  to fit the Rivers Mersey and Clyde in over consecutive weekends

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #28 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Visit in June is fine by me Rob.

Gav

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #29 on: Oct 22, 2014, 05:55 PM »
I think the June date is likely to be late June, that's what it usually is.
Speaking of June... loads of time to check flight prices! ;-)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.