Author Topic: 50 amazing QE2 facts  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Waverley

50 amazing QE2 facts
« on: May 18, 2009, 01:05 PM »
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2013, 05:22 PM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Re: 50 amazing QE2 facts
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Thanks for uploading that.  ;D Great read i couldn't resist watching the video. QE2 does have some connections with Titanic and its all to do with one city Southampton. Its hard to imagine looking at pictures of Titanic in her Southampton dock 60 years later QE2 will be docked in the same place herself.

If Britannia had survived it would be an interesting centrepiece to have her inside QE2. Shows just how big QE2 really is. :)

Offline CAP

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 04:18 PM »

If Britannia had survived it would be an interesting centrepiece to have her inside QE2. Shows just how big QE2 really is. :)

Attached is a seemingly "to scale" picture of QE2 & Britannia.  The picture of which the photo is taken hangs in one of the lifts on QM2 (stairway C ;))

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:30 PM »
I remember Thomas, on his Heritage Tour, saying that Britannia would have fitted inside the Grand Lounge.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:01 PM »

Curious about Fact No. 40 - 'In March 1975, the QE2 made its first transit of Panama Canal, making it the biggest ship ever to travel through the canal. There was less than a foot to spare as the ship made its way through the canal locks'.

D. Hutchings  in QE2 - A ship for All Seasons, carefully mentions. '...less than 18 inches to spare...

Offline Andy F

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:19 PM »
I guess he was right there though Rosie as 12 inches is certainly less than 18 lol!  However and whatever, the fact remains it was damn tight!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:21 AM »

'The QE2’s rudder alone weighs 80 tons – around the same weight as 10 double-decker buses'.

Next question... What happened to the scales - 'where are they now' ?

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2009, 05:06 PM »
She was also the first ship to have an email address

And of course there is this one here  qedcapt1@cunard.com     It was also sadly the second last time l sent an email to QE2.  If you will permit, it was used to send this email, l did struggle and question if l should send it.   l did in the end hit  send

26/11/2008 23:52
 To qedcapt1@cunard.com 
cc 
Subject Captain Ian McNaught onboard Queen Elizabeth 2

Ian
   As an avid and loyal passenger of QE2 since 1986 it felt appropriate to write a few words to wish you all the best for tomorrow as you prepare to hand over, for what is to many of us,  a very special ship. QE2 was  entrusted to your care and you have looked after her as only you can, through good times and bad,

To be part of the unique farewell celebrations on the UK and both crossings was part of history
As this special voyage draws to an end, the eyes and hearts of QE2s passengers will focus on 2pm for the handover.
 Im afraid for many of us this will signal the end of the great ship as we know her. I sure you have your own thoughts about the events and the handover.

In the meantime can l bring this to a close and let you know that many others share your passion for the worlds best loved ship ever and wish you all the best not only for tomorrow, But for the future ships you command, Unfortunately none will ever be the same as Queen Elizabeth 2

Sincere and Kind Best wishes to you & Sue at this sad time

Myles Devin

What is more sad, on coming to the end
Than the tears we shed, as we say Goodbye faithful friend
RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 2
1967- 2008

And the very last email was to QE2 herself, just to say among other things, thanks for the memories :'( :'( word did filter back it was warmly  and sadly received. A crazy thing to do l know.
 I did on the crossing meet one of the ladies,by chance who handled the email system, thanked them for all they had done over the years and left a  small gift
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:17 PM »
And the very last email was to QE2 herself

Myles  :o You do know how to make a boy cry don't you? :'(

Cruise_Princess

Interesting QE2 statistics
« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2010, 03:50 PM »
 Apologies if this topic is already covered....I DID look around but couldn't see anything....was leafing thru an old QE2 book in bed last night.....( don't we all??)  and a wee stat stuck in my mind.....QE2 is 963 feet long as we ALL know  but did you know she has 963 Cabins??  Probably you all did and I'm at the coos tail as always....how coincidental is THAT?    HAd anyone ACTUALLY counted them??  Just to check!!! 

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I would love the Forum to draw up its own ever growing list of amazing QE2 facts.

This would definitely be there :

QE2 was the first Atlantic liner / cruise ship to have the company name on her sides. This was of course done as her new black and white funnel did not identify her as a Cunarder. Plus it was also in line with airline companies placing their names on aircraft sides.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Isabelle, another first for the QE2 would have to include:

The QE2 was the first passenger vessel to be guided by satellite navigation.
Robert

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: Jul 14, 2010, 09:52 AM »
The Cruise Director asked me to send him 108 facts about QE2 as he wanted to use a different one on each day's Daily Programme during the World Cruise. The facts with 'x's had to be completed depending on when that fact was used. A

The document is attached.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Fact #35 in that document is of great interest to me because that is just three days before Yola and I boarded her...  :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Number 105 is fabulous......I don't think any Cunard Captain would be allowed to do that now would they? They don;t seem to have the same power any more is that right?

British Pathe - amazing archive video of QE2

Started by WaverleyBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 11
Views: 5705
Last post Jul 02, 2009, 09:18 AM
by KEV
Amazing video of beautiful QE2 in Dubai

Started by ChrisBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 17
Views: 6524
Last post Jan 29, 2013, 01:03 PM
by andy liney
Amazing WHY luxury yacht / what could have been !

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Ships

Replies: 3
Views: 1631
Last post Oct 04, 2009, 09:50 PM
by jdl
Amazing time lapse of QE2's 2018 dry docking conversion

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 1
Views: 580
Last post Sep 21, 2018, 12:19 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Amazing photos of Queen Mary on the Clyde & on trials

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 2776
Last post Jun 26, 2012, 07:55 AM
by Alistair