Author Topic: QE2 Sea Trials and 1969 Maiden Voyage Videos  (Read 13381 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Maiden voyage 1969 video
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2015, 08:25 PM »
These are wonderful, Rob !  Thanks for posting them. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline pete cain

« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2015, 08:34 PM »
Wow, Ford Anglias, Vauxhall Cresta A lady on the dockside blowing up baloons, no Hi-vis jackets,  flat hats,Train directly alongside, Parcels van with destination chalked on side of coachwork, I could go on,   but above it all ---- QE2, magnificent, & what was asked ? will she make a profit, little did they know, & look how it all ended up, so unnecessary :'(
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2015, 09:11 PM by pete cain »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 11:30 AM »
On the anniversary of QE2's 1969 Maiden voyage (2 - 7 May 1969)enjoy the fabulous videos on this topic that show the passengers and crew.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5451.msg62129.html#msg62129
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Thank you very much, Lynda, for posting the link to these great videos on the anniversary of QE2's maiden voyage to New York.

A toast to our beloved QE2 ! - Forever Queen of the Seas !!
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Trevor Harris

Qe2 Sea Trials and Maiden Voyage (Video)
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:50 PM »
Hello! I have found two interesting videos dating back to her first few years. Please correct me if I got the years wrong!

This first one is a trial from 1968

This one is the maiden voyage from 1969

Enjoy!  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2017, 04:16 PM by Trevor Casey »
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2017, 11:45 PM »
A short, silent video of the start of QE2's Maiden Voyage
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/maiden-voyage-of-the-qe2

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2017, 03:19 AM »
A short, silent video of the start of QE2's Maiden Voyage
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/maiden-voyage-of-the-qe2

Thanks, Rosie!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2017, 05:17 AM »
What an interesting find, Rosie!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Philippe Spanner

Re: Qe2 Sea Trials and Maiden Voyage (Video)
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 04:46 AM »
After nearly 49 years, It still puts a smile on my face watching the video of the QE2 moving away from dock. At counter 50 and 58 you can hear a trumpet sound. I was exhausted running down to the cabin to pick up my trumpet, and running back up to the forward, starboard side of the ship to give a farewell salute. The intention was to play a tune but I lost my embouchure due to my running. The cook ( former Military Soldier) standing next to me took over and played a tune, that was deleted by the news cutting room. On the final transatlantic crossing with my wife, I once again sounded out to the Queen Mary 2 sailing in tandem alongside. This time with the bugle that came from the QE2 pig and whistle.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:05 AM by Philippe Spanner »
Phil Spanner. Joined QE2 while in King George dry dock during repairs to turbines in 1969.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 08:13 AM »
What a wonderful memory, Philippe! I would have loved to have been there when you played that trumpet :) .

Did you sail QE2 in between those two great events too?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 08:21 AM »
After nearly 49 years, It still puts a smile on my face watching the video of the QE2 moving away from dock. At counter 50 and 58 you can hear a trumpet sound. I was exhausted running down to the cabin to pick up my trumpet, and running back up to the forward, starboard side of the ship to give a farewell salute. The intention was to play a tune but I lost my embouchure due to my running. The cook ( former Military Soldier) standing next to me took over and played a tune, that was deleted by the news cutting room. On the final transatlantic crossing with my wife, I once again sounded out to the Queen Mary 2 sailing in tandem alongside. This time with the bugle that came from the QE2 pig and whistle.

Hello Philippe Spanner and a very warm Welcome!
What an amazing story!
This is definitely one which will be helping hugely in keeping the legend of QE2 very much alive!
The Maiden voyage must have been a great experience, and the Tandem crossing with QM2 as well - just guessing here that your own QE2 story could have been very interesting too! 

Was your trumpet on board because you were one of the ship's musicians - and, do you know whether the bugle had always been a permanent fixture in the Pig?
Rosie

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 03:36 PM »

Welcome onboard Philippe! A great QE2 story! I was on the tandem voyage, on QM2, but unfortunately cannot remember hearing a Bugle. When did you play the Bugle on that voyage? When the two ships came closer together on the final sea day and saluted each other?
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Philippe Spanner

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 06:10 AM »
I joined QE2 while the ship was in dry dock, then a trip to Gibraltar followed by the maiden voyage. I was on board for nearly 2 years, then met my wife to be, and never went back. She was a 13 year old schoolgirl.
  Her father left the Queen Mary when he met his wife to be, he is in his 80's now. I never imagined I would ever leave the QE2 but was the start of a very happy marriage.
 I played the bugle as we left New York and on the last day as both ships were alongside. QE2 on Starboard, QM2 on port. We faintly heard a cheer from QM2 as we got quite close, not necessarily from my playing. 
 I worked in the kitchen peeling potatoes and onions when I started, then worked up to assistant cook then waiter in the Britannia restaurant. On one trip I was asked if I would serve Sir Basil Smallpiece ( chairman of Cunard) who wanted to experience the service in Britannia. From spud peeling to serving Sir Basil in one year.
  The bugle was owned by the barman of the pig and whistle. We decided one day to swop instruments but keeping our own mouthpieces. When the mouthpiece was being taken off the bugle it broke the neck, then it became mine. I repaired it years later.
  I made a scrapbook of life on board and viewed by Captain Warwick on the last trip.
Phil Spanner. Joined QE2 while in King George dry dock during repairs to turbines in 1969.

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Maiden voyage 1969 videos
« Reply #28 on: Apr 25, 2019, 04:35 PM »
We received a very interesting story from a forum guest who lives in USA.  Her Mum was onboard QE2's maiden voyage to travel to USA to be married - see story below

Does anyone have photos of people on the Maiden Voyage when the ship sailed into New York? 

It would be fantastic if we could help with this enquiry. 

I came across your website on facebook. I am looking for some help.

My mother, Renuka Amin, was on the maiden voyage of the QE2. Her brothers bought her a ticket to sail to the USA to meet my father, and be married 4 days after arriving in NYC.

She traveled alone, but speaks so fondly of the journey and the anticipation of starting a new life in a new country.

There are no surviving pictures or documents of her on the ship. As my parents are about to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary, I am desperately trying to find photographs or video footage of her. Here's what I know-

She was on the front on deck of the ship upon arriving in NYC to enjoy the celebrations.
She wore a light blue/green sari with a brown coat on the day, her hair in a beehive

My parents have lived a wonderful American dream life and this maiden passage was the start of it all. Any direction you can provide would bring so much joy.
/quote]
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Maiden voyage 1969 videos
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2019, 10:17 AM »
What better way to celebrate QE2's maiden voyage than to enjoy viewing these videos. 

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=5451.msg55278#msg55278

Mid-September 1977 voyage from New York to Southampton

Started by harrysBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 2
Views: 1705
Last post Jan 20, 2015, 09:39 PM
by June Ingram
Alex - late September 2023 visit to QE2 Dubai - Photos & Videos from on board

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 11
Views: 1210
Last post Oct 24, 2023, 12:51 PM
by Rob Lightbody
The final voyage on board auction

Started by jdlBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 3
Views: 3366
Last post Jan 08, 2010, 09:12 PM
by jdl
Unseen slides of QE2 being built, fitted out, on trials and early years.

Started by WaverleyBoard QE2 build photos

Replies: 238
Views: 48283
Last post Dec 14, 2021, 04:34 PM
by Rod
QV - 2013 Itinerary Missing Voyage

Started by CAPBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 2
Views: 1858
Last post Jun 20, 2012, 07:20 AM
by CAP