Author Topic: Airfix QE2  (Read 15463 times)

Offline Alistair

Re: Airfix QE2
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Enjoying watching your progress on the Airfix kit James. I built one last year but more or less as it came out of the box and yes there were a few bits missing and I had problems lining up the hull too.
My transfers were luckily all complete even though they were seperate from the plastic bag full of extruded parts. Maybe that's how yours went awol. Anyway I am fascinated that you can make your own so thanks for that tip. Wish 'd known about that when I was doing the gunze model a few years ago. The transfer for "Queen Elizabeth 2  Southampton" which is supposed to go on the stern was done in black lettering!   doh!

Offline jamesatmaisonverre

« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2012, 04:13 PM »
Hi Alistair,
Glad your enjoying. No fear of a bag in this box im afraid but that was the chance I took when I bought it. I did not realise the gunze came with black text on the stern name plate. That reminds me of the revel kit. To be honest I think the revel kit is an exact scaled down version of the gunze kit as it also has the black nameplate on the stern. Yes the transfers are really handy because you can now put in details that don’t come with model kits like tennis courts or even do the hole red cowl for the funnel which would be mad but it would work.
Glad you like the tip
Kind regards
James

« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Hi All,
Sorry I have been absent for a while but have been distracted with other builds, moving house ect….
I have been following the plight of the qe2 in recent months and to be honest and dismayed but not surprised by the outcome. I think in my own humble opinion that qe2 will not return to the uk for the simple reason that pride on the dubai side of things. They would be surrendering the ship back to the uk for far less than they paid and I think that is just it. I have completed my model of the qe2 so here are a few picks. Hope you all enjoy. Just forgot the flags though. Also threw in a picture of my 1:1200 qe2 which i could not resist building.

Alan.C.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Nicely made, nice clean lines. I agree with you re Dubai's pride stopping the QE2 returning home, I hope we are both wrong though!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Beautifully done, well done!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2013, 01:04 AM »
Well done!!  You've almost shamed me into starting my own Airfix model of QE2, which has been hanging around since she was retired and with me not having the enthusiasium to see it through!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Hi Lads,
Glad you like the kit. It took a while but that’s because I had other builds on as well. I am collecting as many ocean liners as possible. The QE2 was a special build for me because of my personal association with it. I am doing a display called the four queens. The QE2, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth and QM2. I am up against a few challenges though most of which I have overcome. You can see the back of the Queen Elizabeth in the above picks. This model I found very difficult to get. I remember I had this model over ten years ago and it cost me £10. It ended up in the dump which I am ashamed of now but in hindsight I just did not have the modelling maturity to appreciate it. This time is cost me 4 times more on ebay but was well worth it in my view considering how hard it is to get this model now. The second obstacle is the Queen Mary. There is no good model of it out there so I am scratch building most of the revell kit which is working out well. For those interested, you can follow the progress at the following link.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=147366&p=0&e=0&sid=1cb982479b666b205b4df6ab77bde0bf

This is a slow build alright but will be fabulous when completed. I have to say my favourite ship is the Queen Elizabeth, such a shame it got destroyed. I will post the pictures of it when it is finished.
Highlander, you should definitely get cracking on your kit, it actually does not take that long to build. The hardest part is the bootline but after that your sailing. (excuse the pun).
I also built the 1:1200 qe2 qnd I have to say it took 3 days and what a model it is. I have decided to do another display of the revell 1:1200 series and QM” is the last one to be finished soon. You can view pics and review of the QE2 on the below link.
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=144860&p=561030&hilit=1%3A1200+qe2#p561030
Alan I definite think QE2 wont be coming home unfortunately and will become a victim of the dubai pride. It china gets her, she is ruined. They will turn her into a floating Chinese restaurant. The Chinese are not exactly fans of the british conception, nostalgia and design. You only have to look at the rubbish that’s exported out of there from your local pound shop. Dubai are also going to try and make their losses back hence the 10 year lease and rent. It’s terrible when you consider how trashy and Americanised the Queen Mary has become even to the point of riding motor bikes on the ship. How disrespectful can you get. I hope she returns to the UK but I am not optimistic. Money always wins unfortunately. You only have to look at what it has done to the Titanic.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2013, 12:09 PM »
Hey Rob,
Just noticed your builders model pics on flickr, hope you donet mind me using for my models.

Offline skilly56

Rare Airfix QE2 Model
« Reply #23 on: Sep 05, 2014, 12:58 PM »
I didn't realise I had a 'quite rare one' in my cupboard :D

Had actually quite forgotten it was there until I saw this post - then I went and pulled it out again.

Just have to paint the funnel in the colours we know (and prefer), and glue the stabilizer fins in the correct way around (the hull moulding has the trailing edges set to the front end).

It will look good with my solid resin (Chinese made) Concorde above it.

Cheers

Skilly

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Rare Airfix QE2 Model
« Reply #24 on: Sep 05, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Oh, Skilly, we absolutely must have photos when done and with the Concorde above.  Very exciting !

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #25 on: Sep 05, 2014, 07:01 PM »
Oh, Skilly, we absolutely must have photos when done and with the Concorde above.  Very exciting !

Yes definately! :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline skilly56

« Reply #26 on: Sep 06, 2014, 03:13 AM »
If you could see my office you may understand why I say it could be a couple of years before my QE2 model gets assembled.
I have 3 sons - when younger, they all made models to hang on their bedroom ceilings. Then we renovated the house, so all the models came down from their ceilings and got shifted into my office (which is fairly large - think big rumpus room size), where they all got in the way of work!

So I strung some of them up to the ceiling, stuffed others in cabinets, draws, etc (there are over 50!) until such time as the boys all buy their own homes, which is now just starting to happen. Then they will get them back pronto!

However, the eldest lad now drives Boeing 777s for Air New Zealand, which means he is regularly in Shanghai, where he has found a place that sells 500 mm long solid resin models that weigh 2-3 kgs. These are only about 17 pounds each (NZ$35), but they look superb so he bought home a 777 painted up as one he flies regularly (painted for the All Blacks & World Cup), and has now said he will bring me a Concorde for Father's Day.

He's not silly - if he gives them to me for birthday's and Father's Days, he knows they will get looked after, and he will get them back when I snuff off!

So, at the moment I really don't have anywhere to show the QE2 model once I build it, so it has stayed in the cupboard - probably until I retire!.

Cheers
Skilly

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: Sep 08, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Hi Skilly -

Thanks very much for telling us about your (son's) models and for posting the pictures.  They are great !  Wonderful collection !

Offline Ian Davies

Re: QE2 Merchandising in the 1960s
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:23 PM »
From the Cunarder 1840-1969

Adverts for QE2 jewellery, medals, and model kit

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2020, 04:16 PM »
Thanks, Ian, for posting !  Great information here !   :)

QE2 Story Fund Raising Auction - win a rare Airfix QE2 Model !!

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 12
Views: 6566
Last post Sep 28, 2014, 06:32 PM
by Rob Lightbody
IT AINT AIRFIX !!

Started by GJBoard QE2 Models and Paintings

Replies: 7
Views: 2290
Last post Feb 24, 2020, 06:21 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski