Author Topic: VADS 1969 Design Journal - QE2 Original Design  (Read 39855 times)

Offline riskygizmo

Re: VADS 1969 Design Journal - QE2 Original Design
« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2013, 03:50 PM »
Thanks to Rosie's reminder, I've spent a happy hour looking over the VADS article again. It just reinforces how stunning Her original fitting out was. I knew her ten years after this, but she still looked futuristic. Seeing Her from the outside was spectacular, but climbing the gangway, with a photo next the life ring, and being ushered through to the Midships Lobby just blew my tiny mind. Sunken circular sofas in apple green leather just didn't exist in real life. It must all be a dream.

That bold use of colour and form continued as I explored the Ship. The colour coded squared spiral stairs (echoing the squared lettering of the Cunard logo). The colour themed rooms in reds and greens and blues. Leathers and velvets and tweeds. Laminates and veneers. Polished chrome and brushed aluminium. It was a riot for the senses.

Then there was the Queens Room. Serene in white and cream. Pale wood and light carpet. Eggshell chairs and egg crate ceiling. The trumpet columns mirrored in the bases of the furniture. And, of course, the "Turner trick". The splash of red from the sofas. Another nod, perhaps, to her exterior and the red on the inside of the wind scoop at the base of Her still white clad funnel.

It was there, throughout the Ship. An omniscient design aesthetic and an attention to detail that make her, still, probably the most beautiful place I've ever been.

Full Away on Passage.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #16 on: Aug 11, 2013, 10:50 PM »
An omniscient design aesthetic and an attention to detail that make her, still, probably the most beautiful place I've ever been.

Beautiful write-up of QE2, Risky -- thank you for opening our eyes to her all over again :) .

Wish I had seen her in those early days...

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #17 on: Aug 12, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Thanks, Isabelle. You're too kind.
Full Away on Passage.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #18 on: Aug 12, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Yes, fantastic, you got a good plug on our Facebook page too :))
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Isabelle is right, your descriptive posting is very emotive Riskygizmo. The QE2 you describe is pretty much the one I walked on to in 1978 and I was equally blown away. Over the weeks and months that followed, as I discovered more of the ship, it really was a voyage of discovery on many levels. Memories were made which have stayed with me all these years and discovering this forum has brought those memories flooding back. Thanks.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #20 on: Aug 13, 2013, 12:28 AM »
Thanks to Rosie's reminder, I've spent a happy hour looking over the VADS article again. It just reinforces how stunning Her original fitting out was. I knew her ten years after this, but she still looked futuristic. Seeing Her from the outside was spectacular, but climbing the gangway, with a photo next the life ring, and being ushered through to the Midships Lobby just blew my tiny mind. Sunken circular sofas in apple green leather just didn't exist in real life. It must all be a dream.

That bold use of colour and form continued as I explored the Ship. The colour coded squared spiral stairs (echoing the squared lettering of the Cunard logo). The colour themed rooms in reds and greens and blues. Leathers and velvets and tweeds. Laminates and veneers. Polished chrome and brushed aluminium. It was a riot for the senses.

Then there was the Queens Room. Serene in white and cream. Pale wood and light carpet. Eggshell chairs and egg crate ceiling. The trumpet columns mirrored in the bases of the furniture. And, of course, the "Turner trick". The splash of red from the sofas. Another nod, perhaps, to her exterior and the red on the inside of the wind scoop at the base of Her still white clad funnel.

It was there, throughout the Ship. An omniscient design aesthetic and an attention to detail that make her, still, probably the most beautiful place I've ever been.

I was 6 1/2 when I was first introduced to her 44 years ago come this Thursday and 16 when I last sailed in her with interim voyages at ages 9, 11 and 14.  QE2 gave me great memories and career inspirations at these ages but my appreciation for grows with each year that passes just as a fine wine matures.    Riskygizmo's description is what and how I felt yesterday, today and ever more so tomorrow!

alfredop

qe2's original interiors,
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:17 AM »
hey guys, is there a book that has original qe2 interiors shots, ive seen very few pic of her interiors, the original at least

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2's original design
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:38 AM »
Yes, Alfredo -- just follow the links at the top of this topic.