Author Topic: New Book - P&O Cruises Celebrating 175 years of heritage  (Read 1956 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Amberley Publishing, who were so generous recently as to give us a wonderful prize of William H Millar's new Atlantic Liners book, have also sent me for review their new book - P&O Cruises Celebrating 175 years of heritage.

I'm sure many members of this forum share an interest in P&O with their Cunard/QE2 interests and if so, this book would be a lovely gift for yourself!  Its a substantial book, filled with over 300 photos, both historical and contemporary, and nearly 200 pages.  It would be equally appropriate for a P&O enthusiast interested in the historic ships, and also to someone who enjoys cruising on the current fleet.  Although the full history is covered, it is perhaps biased towards the newer ships, from Canberra (extensively featured) onwards.

Each chapter of the book is themed, and mostly the themes cover the complete history, but sometimes only cover old or new.  For instance "Upstairs Downstairs", "Entertainment & Activities", "Going Ashore", "Every Meal a Banquet" and "P&O Cruises - a new dawn".  In this way, it stops itself becoming a dry history book going from the start of P&O to the current day, and becomes far more interesting.

In short - if you're a P&O fan, or know one, you should add this book to your or their collection.

- Rob

P&O Cruises: Celebrating 175 years of Heritage
Sharon Poole & Andrew Sassoli-Walker

It is an achievement for any brand to be able to trace its roots back 175 years. In these uncertain times, when even well-established international names are disappearing, it is an even greater testament to well-laid foundations and continual innovation and evolution.

P&O Cruises is one such brand, whose heritage can be traced back to when The Peninsular Steam Navigation Company won a Government contract to carry mail from the UK to Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar in 1837. Today, it operates a fleet of seven modern cruise ships and is consistently rated among the top British cruise lines.

This book tells the story of how P&O Cruises reached this pinnacle of achievement. It features, not just the innovative ships, but also the stories of crew and passengers, past and present. Many of the ships are so well-known, their very name conjures up images of sun-warmed decks and far flung destinations – names such as Canberra, Oriana, Himalaya and Arcadia. Nowadays, the P&O Cruises fleet attracts more passengers than ever before, sailing to destinations all over the world – 270 ports in 90 countries in 2011 and 2012 alone!

Illustrated with over 300 photographs, both historical and contemporary (many never before published), this book also highlights the unseen work that goes into running a fleet of modern cruise ships.

Sharon Poole and Andrew Sassoli-Walker have been granted unprecedented access to P&O Cruises’ ships to photograph areas not normally accessible to the public, and to interview officers, crew, and shore-based staff. Contributions from passengers past and present, enhance the story.

This book will appeal to everyone with an interest in P&O Cruises and celebrates one of the most famous names in British maritime history.

COVER PRICE £ 25.00
 0.75 kg

http://www.amberleybooks.com/shop/article_9781445605968/P_O
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:47 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Chris

New Book - P&O Cruises Celebrating 175 years of heritage
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Andrew is a great P&O historian and it's a great book.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/