Author Topic: Airbags for ships in trouble  (Read 2101 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Airbags for ships in trouble
« on: Apr 02, 2012, 10:12 PM »
I was just thinking about the Concordia recovery, and how they'll probably use airbags to refloat her.  Doing a bit of digging about, it seems that ultra strong airbags like this are well proven (http://www.blueoceantackle.com/ship_launching_air_bags.htm).

So.... with enough money and willingness... couldn't cruiseships be fitted with emergency airbags which could be activated if it became apparent that the ship was in danger of sinking?  Concordia, in the open seas, would have completely sunk with a couple of hundred lost lives.  With airbags, surely this could have at very least have been slowed down, or added enough stability for a while to deploy all the lifeboats?

I wonder what it would cost...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Airbags for ships in trouble
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2012, 10:48 PM »
Interesting thought Rob - surely it has to be worth a feasability study at least?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2012, 11:31 PM »
Rob, very interesting thought.
But....If Concordia had been in open seas it wouldnt have needed the "bags" in the first place.
You would have to look into the weight of ship you were expecting the bags to float...ie 1, 2, 3, or 4 compartments flooded etc.....
Where would the bags be deployed? Blow off a panel in the ships side? Inside a flooded tank?
Space would definately be an issue along with space for gas bottles etc.
Do not forget...before they deploy airbags, as many holes as possible will have been sealed and water pumped out.
Nice thought but unworkable I think.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2012, 10:38 AM »
You would not want to be around when the airbag went off in the compartment you were occupying. Potentially it could kill as many as the ship sinking

Matteo 91

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2012, 01:23 PM »
What about external airbags then? Aircrafts emergency slides work exactly the same way, on a ship it would just need to be... much bigger. I don't know wheter it could make a sinking ship float, but it would surely slow down the event.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2012, 02:27 PM »
..And l thought this was a late April fool.... ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!