Author Topic: Ask the engineer!  (Read 41477 times)

Offline Rod

Re: Ask the engineer!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2012, 11:31 PM »
NOW THEN YOUNG HORSEBRUSH!
To get to your point. After I left the sea I cut down on my drinking considerably. Not because I needed to, medically but because the boredom was not there. Yes I still drink, but only beer..and frequently and watchkeeping times...as a country and western song says"Its 5oclock somewhere"
As far as the culture shock ...nah not really. I love teaching the kids of the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps. I take a weeks vacation every year to run a training for them where I am in charge of up to 120 kids ages 10-18. I have to find the venue, arrange the kids from all over the US. Arrange the other other Officers/Instructors, come out with a budget, usually around $800/kid...tax dollars. Get the budget and training plan approved and carry it out!  Great fun....and when the parent or the young kid comes up to you at the end and says thanks....thats better than cold hard cash!
I am now a LCDR in the USNSCC, the highest rank attainable. Will try and attach some pics.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Great Pics Rod, looking good!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Thank you. The last pic was taken at our meeting site. He's the puppy I used to "threaten" the Cadets with. Sadly the gator was removed. Can't find one around here to save my soul!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2012, 07:35 PM »
Hi Rod,

This has been such a brilliant topic, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it, thanks so much!  (I read all forum posts even though I often don't get a chance to reply, or only reply briefly).

I've given it a plug on Facebook and Twitter - image attached to show you.

Cheers,

- Rob
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #34 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Rob, I appreciate that! I will checkout the FB page. I am of FB my self, as Rod Fair, but also on the QE2 section there. Totally different group on there though that do ocassionaly overlap.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #35 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:57 PM »
Our Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/TheQE2Story

Its sole purpose in life is to promote this forum - most of the time its used simply to point people to topics on the forum, such as this one!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #36 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:27 PM »
NOW THEN YOUNG HORSEBRUSH!

Sorry Mr Fair Sir,
                          I meant no disrespect to you or your orginisation. However, I feel I must relate the tale of a mate of mine and his experience of the United States Navy. As a young man he was an aircraft mechanic RN
on the old (or, rather the old old) Ark Royal. Anyhow he managed to get himslf onto an RN/USN exchange scheme and wangled a cruise on the USS Nimitz. Now this was not only an honour, but a great experience
for a junior rate like him. He'd come from a ship that was older than him to this state of the art bit of kit. Everything was big and new and worked, the accomodation was 5 star, the food was amazing.
                           However, one thing did rather take the gilt off the gingerbread. It wasn't so much the
lack of two tinnies a day from Her Majesty, more what he took instead. After a few days of coffee and coca
cola he was bouncing off the bulkheads and had to have a quiet word with himself.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #37 on: Mar 16, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Sadly, well not so sadly, I do not go to sea anymore...the opportunity exists but timing has to be right. I went to sea with 20 Cadets about 5 months ago on a Coast Guard patrol boat was meant to be a 2 hour trip at 55 knots....trip out was good...but then we sucked a coconut into an engine and trip lasted 4 hours.
On one training I did..We took the Cadets for a flight in a C-130, meant to be landings and takeoffs... NAH they took us to Puerto Rico for lunch...from Florida.

Martyn Smith

QE2 Engineers
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2013, 02:09 AM »
Are there any Ex QE2 engineers lurking here?
 I know a of ex Rolls Royce Fitter who spent time on her several times with regards to stabiliser gear. He mentioned that she was a pig to work on, especially during her steam days.

Offline Twynkle

Re: Ask the Engineer
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Hi Rod,
This is very off topic - but, 'hey!' as it's about welding hopefully it can stay a while before shifting off!
Did the uptakes inside her funnel ever need welding?
Was thinking any leaks could have been dodgy - and yet at sea, hot too....
Thanks
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2013, 10:32 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Chris

Re: Re: Ask the Engineer
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Apparently her Signal and Sub Deck suites leaked quite badly during heavy rain.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Rod

« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:30 AM »
Rosie, Engineering question, ask the Engineer thread...not off topic.
I assume you mean after re-engining?
If that is the case, then no I was not aware of any problems. BUT, remember I left at the end of 88, re-engine was 86.
Quick science lesson here for all not just Rosie.
When you burn/combust any fuel, it creates water and, CO2, these combine together to form carbonic acid, which is the main component of "acid rain" High sulphur fuels also make sulphuric acid. In the US for instance, diesel fuel is regulated to sulphur content. This obviousley goes up the chimney as soot/vapors etc...throw in a steam leak or some other added moisture and it will eat through metal over a period of time.
As a steam ship, "combustion gas" leaks were a constant problem. MANY times, before drydocks, boiler room staff would wear gas masks for their health, while on duty. Because of the soot that also came out of the leaks in the chimney, when you shampoos your hair after watch...lather would be black. Have often thought of suing Cunard because of my hair loss!
Leaks were identified every year and put in the drydock list. Many would be rejected because of cost.
Boiler room Engineers before refit every year would go up the chimney, identify, and mark wit an arrow and year, the leak...some leaks had 4 years!

Regarding hot....The Franconia, my first ship, waiting for the elevator to take you down to hell....186 degrees!, engine room platform under the big fan...120!

Offline Rod

Re: QE2 Engineers
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:32 AM »
Are there any Ex QE2 engineers lurking here?
 I know a of ex Rolls Royce Fitter who spent time on her several times with regards to stabiliser gear. He mentioned that she was a pig to work on, especially during her steam days.

Your friend was right! But formed a great bunch of people

Offline Rod

Re: Re: Ask the Engineer
« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:34 AM »
Apparently her Signal and Sub Deck suites leaked quite badly during heavy rain.

Most of that was due to cracks in the aluminum. Constant problem at that level including the Engineers accom.

Offline Chris

Ask the engineer!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:17 AM »
Ok Rod, here's one for you.

How hard would it, and how costly, to reactivate QE2 to sail herself to Asia (hypothetically) after four years being idle. Eg: propellers, propulsion motors, thrusters (only one of which works), anchors, rudder etc etc.

At the end, your thoughts on whether there is any way we see her sailing there herself or is it tugs only?
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/