Author Topic: QE2 build photos  (Read 80616 times)

Offline Stowaway2k

Re: QE2 build photos
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:27 PM »
Absolutely wonderful thread....the photos are amazing :o

Can I ask the folks that visited the yard recently, when you look out onto the Clyde and when the tide is low, there are two slipways next to each other. The first one is closest to the fitting out quay and the other further along. There is a tribute Commemorative plaque above the slipway thats furthest away stating that was the slipway that launched the Queens BUT is that correct? Was it not the slipway "closest" to the fitting out quay???

-NairB ;D

When the first two Queens were built, there was a smaller slipway between them and the fitting out basin.  Some photos of Queen Mary up on the slipway show this quite clearly, as does this RAF WW2-era aerial shot of the John Brown yard.

Note:  the link Stowaway 2K posted is no longer active. However this photo on the Canmore site shows the smaller slipway if you zoom in:
https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1257244

In the photos of QE2 on her slipway, it appears that this smaller slipway has by then been built over, making QE2's the closest to the fitting out basin.

So, it looks like the first Queens were second from the basin, while QE2 was on the same slipway, it was then the first from the basin....

This same website has other fantastic period photos of the John Brown yard and Clydebank, including a Luftwaffe aerial survey.  There is a photo of QE2 on the slipway with Shieldhall cruising up the river, which I love as it shows that Shieldhall was there at the start and the finish for QE2...

Browsing all these photos leads me to believe that the fitting out basin wasn't "lengthened" for QM or QE2, just that the shape of the basin head was rebuilt and changed formation over the years.  But that's just me...  I'm open to being wrong...   :o
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 09:46 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:52 PM »
An excellent album of candid photos featuring QE2 at the John Brown yard...  sorry if this has been posted before...

Note:  link no longer active

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 09:47 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:24 AM »
Stowaway,
    These photos are simply awesome!!! Of course they raise more questions for me.  In the first few photos it can be seen that the port holes were cut after the steel was welded in place.  Anyone know how these were cut specially in such a straight line? 

KEV

« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2009, 12:22 AM »
What a quiet and serene set of pictures-you can just sense in your mind all the noise and activity that went before. Like so many desolate scenes of Britains great Industrial Centres
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2014, 07:31 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2009, 12:46 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014, 10:00 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #20 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:24 PM »
I have not worked out how to enlarge them

Simple - pay them for the privilege! They wast £9.99 for six months use or £14.99 for 12 months. :)

Offline mickey g

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 02:12 PM »
These were four photos I took early September 1968 from Queen Mary II. They appear on my flickr site (galeforce.19)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:19 AM by mickey g »
Yacht Club lover

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 03:19 PM »

Thank You!

These images are just so good -
and evoke all sorts of feelings - from real sadness now,
and it must have been really exciting then...

KEV

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 05:20 PM »
Fantastic Mickey-they look similar time to the shot in my collection (see further up in thread)
This forum keeps throwing up superb finds
Thanks for sharing

Offline Waverley

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 09:54 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014, 10:30 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 10:17 PM »

Thank you for finding these!

There's something about looking up at her bow - even in photographs -
it was so good before, and now so very sad.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I can't say that there must be more photographs of her launch now than there were at the time but that access is
 far more easily available. Thank you for finding that lot :)

Offline Waverley

« Reply #27 on: Jun 18, 2009, 12:19 PM »
QE2 propeller on a lorry.

Note: link Waverley posted to photo bucket picture is not active. However Bob C has posted a link in a later post to a similar picture:
http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=155935
(scroll down to see the photo)

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:08 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

Offline Waverley

« Reply #28 on: Jun 26, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Robert

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #29 on: Aug 17, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Some old photos of her I have showing her in early days as No 736