Author Topic: The QE2 Samurai - Japanese Armour on board QE2 (Heritage Trail)  (Read 9189 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: THE JAPANESE ARMOUR
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2014, 05:50 PM »
It is great to hear more about the Japanese Armour and the honor bestowed upon our QE2 to have it given to her !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Trevor Harris

Re: The QE2 Samurai
« Reply #16 on: Jun 26, 2018, 02:19 AM »
Isabelle and Pia's Photos are very nice. I have to take a couple minutes to admire the details. One of the many things I found interesting about QE2 is the "QE2 Samurai". When I read QE2: A Picture History by Bill Miller, I came across a picture of the "QE2 Samurai" and a explanation of the picture. Thinking back to when I read the book, I thought it was a very kind gift. I still think it is a very kind gift. Now learning from here that there is a door behind it. As always, Michael is able to give us a bit of background behind it.
The door was an exit from the Projection Room (Theatre) and opened directly onto D Stairway. It was removed during the 1996 refit to comply with SOLAS regulations which state that exits cannot open directly onto a stairway (or wording to that affect).

In 1996 the class encased Laconia Cup was placed here (from the Boardroom where it had been since 1994) to hide the fact that a door was there. The Warrior replaced the Lacaonia Cup in the 1999 refit.

The cup was then moved to Two Deck where it stayed until 2004. It was then moved to outside the Yacht Club where it replaced the Britannia Cup. Laconia Cups place on Two Deck was taken by the Telegraph Tropy / Cup.
Does anyone else have personal stories relating to the "QE2 Samurai"?
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2018, 09:14 PM by Trevor Casey »
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Isabelle and Pia's Photos are very nice. I have to take a couple minutes to admire the details. One of the many things I found interesting about is the "QE2 Samurai". When I read QE2: A Picture History by Bill Miller, I came across a picture of the "QE2 Samurai" and a explanation of the picture. Thinking back to when I read the book, I thought it was a very kind gift. I still think it is a very kind gift. Now learning from here that there is a door behind it. As always, Michael is able to give us a bit of background behind it. Does anyone else have personal stories relating to the "QE2 Samurai"?

Thanks for bring the QE2 Samurai to our attention and looking forward to hearing any personal stories to add to this topic.

I liked Peter Ward's story about the drummers on the quayside and the send off given to the ship at the sail away.  It must have been a magnificent occasion. 
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=3048.msg32563#msg32563

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Mary Anne Walser

« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2018, 12:37 PM »
The costume is now in the reception building in front of the QE2 here in Dubai..
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 12:41 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2018, 12:46 PM »
The costume is now in the reception building in front of the QE2 here in Dubai..

Should be onboard just like the rest....

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2018, 12:52 PM »

Thanks for the great photo Mary Anne!  I'm glad it's still looking amazing, and has its original sign, but i feel it should be kept safe behind glass like it was for all it's time on board.

But as Louis says, I don't understand why they're making their terminal building interesting, at the expense of the ship.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Welcome, Mary Anne, and thank you for the photos!

I do agree with Rob that the Samurai armour should be back behind glass. These are extraordinarily valuable pieces, and I hate to think that grubby fingers might touch them and dust descend on them...  :'(

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2018, 01:08 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos Mary Anne. Looking forward to hearing more about your visit.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #23 on: Aug 11, 2018, 01:34 PM »

But as Louis says, I don't understand why they're making their terminal building interesting, at the expense of the ship.
Perhaps the building will still be there when the ship has long gone?????????

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #24 on: Aug 12, 2018, 01:14 AM »
In the lobby you can look all around it..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Mary Anne Walser

« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2018, 01:12 PM »
Yes, it probably should be behind glass, but perhaps they are planning to build a case - ?  The hotel/reception building is only on "soft" opening and they are still working on a lot of things.  I must say that at least for me, it was nice to have the museum and the items in the front reception building so you could view them all
together with written history and explanations.  And since the tours are quite large (I think there were about 50 people on my tour - they had to split us up in groups of 25 to tour the ship) it might be difficult for visitors to see these things together on a tour of the ship.... 
Also, you can visit the museum in the reception building even if you aren't planning to take the tour, eat at a restaurant or stay on board (although I can't understand why anyone who is really interested in the ship wouldn't want to tour, eat, and stay on board!!)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #26 on: Aug 12, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Yes, it probably should be behind glass, but perhaps they are planning to build a case - ?  The hotel/reception building is only on "soft" opening and they are still working on a lot of things.  I must say that at least for me, it was nice to have the museum and the items in the front reception building so you could view them all
together with written history and explanations.  And since the tours are quite large (I think there were about 50 people on my tour - they had to split us up in groups of 25 to tour the ship) it might be difficult for visitors to see these things together on a tour of the ship.... 
Also, you can visit the museum in the reception building even if you aren't planning to take the tour, eat at a restaurant or stay on board (although I can't understand why anyone who is really interested in the ship wouldn't want to tour, eat, and stay on board!!)

All nice words but they should be onboard where it belongs
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2018, 11:05 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »